News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bulkhead plug maintenance.

Started by 404NOTFOUND, February 04, 2012, 07:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

404NOTFOUND

My Charger is perfectly restored with lots of high quality parts and has been very reliable. The exception is the bulkhead plug terminals on the firewall. Once in a while, I get a total loss of electrical power due to a poor conection in that area. If I push on certain wires, the power comes back and the car starts right up. Other times, I have unplugged the connector and ran a nailfile through the terminals to clean them up. The car can run fine for weeks or screw up every five minutes, there is no way to tell. You just never know what kind of day you will have when you climb in. Driving the car at night is actually scary because it can shutdown completely without warning with no lights. I've had enough of this and am looking for a permanent solution. Should I spray the terminals with contact cleaner or something else? Should I use dielectric grease to prevent corrosion? The plugs do not need replacement, they are fine. I just need to know the best way to maintain them. Thanks.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Ghoste

I was having a very similar experience so I took mine out one by one and cleaned them well and filled the socket with dielectric grease before replacing the terminal.  Seems to be working well so far.

404NOTFOUND

Thanks Ghoste. That's what I wanted to hear. Looking at those terminals, you just know I'm one of a long line of people who have been through this. Somewhere in this world, I bet a fully loaded hemi 4 speed Daytona went to the scrapyard because the owner was frustrated with those plugs. I'm gonna take care of it like you said. I would still like to hear more opinions. More is always better.

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: terrible one on February 04, 2012, 07:29:31 PM
Have you seen this thread? http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70039.0.html

Protecting them from future corrosion after cleaning is key  :yesnod:

Great thread thanks. I'm gonna try all that. Having the terminals sitting around uncleaned and unprotected all winter just has to make the problem worse. I'm sure it will now be solved.

A383Wing

the terminals are available if you wish to pursue replacing them...available from Waytek Wire Co. (special crimper is needed as well, which I have to make my relay kits for the 66-67 Chargers)

Bryan

charger Downunder

The female plug end bend the clips in a bit so as to provide a tighter fit plus apply some dielectric grease.
[/quote]

404NOTFOUND

Thanks for all the responses. That should set me up good.

b5blue

Do what's in my topic and contact "Techni-Tool" for Caig Lab's De-OX-It D 100 and their "Gold protectant". It's not cheap but I've used it all over my cars and home and it works. This stuff is used in manufacturing and repair/maintenance of high end electronics like HP computers and will not harm or degrade plastics. It also lubricates greatly improving the plug in or unplugging of connections.   :2thumbs:       

thedodgeboys

Do you have a link to that stuff b5blue?

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

b5blue

Quote from: thedodgeboys on February 05, 2012, 11:55:39 AM
Do you have a link to that stuff b5blue?
Not handy but gimme some time I'll dig one up!  :2thumbs:

b5blue

Here www.techni-tool.com type D 100 into search and scroll down. It seems pricy but you use such a small amount it really goes far for the money.  :2thumbs:

404NOTFOUND

Now that this thread is back, I should thank everyone for the help. I used the recommended salt and vinegar cleaner and the dielectric grease. It worked and the car is now perfectly reliable.

b5blue

:cheers: Always be certain to thoroughly neutralize/flush this treatment! 

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: b5blue on February 27, 2012, 05:46:54 AM
:cheers: Always be certain to thoroughly neutralize/flush this treatment! 

Yup. Did that too. Thanks.