News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does this make you nervous?

Started by jb666, February 09, 2012, 06:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Unilug wheels + high horsepower?

I've got a buddy who says to me the other night "I wouldn't be comfortable running uni-lugs with the power you're putting to the ground".

I'm SURE there are people putting out more than me (622RWHP), but it got me thinking....

I've ALWAYS run uni-lugs with drag radials. I've never had it up the track....

:popcrn:

moparguy01

I HATE unilug wheels. I wont run them. which is unfortunate because i love the look of the vintage slot mag wheels, but finding a set without a unilug wheel is very difficult.

jb666

Quote from: moparguy01 on February 09, 2012, 06:46:40 PM
I HATE unilug wheels. I wont run them. which is unfortunate because i love the look of the vintage slot mag wheels, but finding a set without a unilug wheel is very difficult.

That's my problem.. My car can only have one style wheel... I'm looking for a dedicated set AT LEAST for the rear... But so far I've come up short....

Daytona R/T SE

Just check the tightness of your nuts often and you'll be just fine.

While I'd much prefer non-unilugs, I've had unilugs on several cars without a problem...

Check your nuts, often... :cheers:

472 R/T SE

elacruze

If they're installed right they are no problem. The torque is transferred through the friction at the hub/wheel, not through the studs-they only supply clamping force. The only problem with unis is that the can and do loosen with time, and need rechecking often.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Darkman

May I ask what a unilug wheel is ?  :shruggy: (oops too late)
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Cooter

Hadda buddy that likes to try and overengineer things a bit, make me up some "Spacers" to help take up the extra room where the lugs didn't and worked pretty good...All CUSTOM though.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mopar2

Proper lug nuts, with the fitted washer IMHO is ok. I think a lot of the bad press comes from people over the years not using those two things, the story ends up "unilug came off, their dangerous". Now 622 rwhp is crazy cool  :2thumbs: but stress is also from the amount of traction you have, after that your just looking cool, smoking the tires. What I'm getting at if you're running drag radials vs slicks the stress would be different. Then I think you would have a valid concern,  I'm sure our buddies here that race could fill us in, as to what the rules are for racing with slicks.
I bought the GL01 wheels when American Racing made a limited run. I know their not completely correct, but whose car is LOL

Ghoste

I'm also in the camp who think with big torque if you are getting any kind of traction then you best look to what would be legal at a sanctioned dragstrip.

Scaregrabber

I don't like them and I've had problems with them over the years. You might get away with it with an automatic but I know they don't work well with a manual and powershifting. Are they ET style or another type?

Sheldon

jb666

Quote from: Scaregrabber on February 10, 2012, 10:45:33 PM
I don't like them and I've had problems with them over the years. You might get away with it with an automatic but I know they don't work well with a manual and powershifting. Are they ET style or another type?

Sheldon

They are vintage Vectors. I was running MT Drag radials (275's), but just got another set and put MT Street tires (295's) on. So, traction will not be what it was before, I'm sure.

Patronus

Quote from: Darkman on February 09, 2012, 09:45:53 PM

Wheels with spacers pressed in to allow for different bolt patterns.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Scaregrabber

662RWHP, Nope, I wouldn't run them personally.

Sheldon

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: moparguy01 on February 09, 2012, 06:46:40 PM

really ? I never have seen those wheels being unilug exclusivelly. Locally they are pretty much common on the correct bolt pattern, being not unilug.

In fact I don't remember right now have seen some of those being unilug
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Kern Dog

Quote from: Patronus on February 11, 2012, 04:40:26 PM
Quote from: Darkman on February 09, 2012, 09:45:53 PM

Wheels with spacers pressed in to allow for different bolt patterns.

Actually to be more accurate.....
The lug hole in the rim is elongated to accomodate a range of lug bolt circles. The most common was a Chevy 5 on 4 3/4" to Mopar/Ford 5 on 4 1/2" The lug nuts were of the sleeve/shank type.

FLG

Jeff,

Could always do a very nice fill and redrill...ive seen em done and done right (you wouldnt even know it was a fill and redrill...for example 5x120 to a 4x100 bolt pattern, and those have overlapping holes)

Lennard

Quote from: FLG on February 16, 2012, 03:00:43 AM
Jeff,
Could always do a very nice fill and redrill...I've seen em done and done right (you wouldn't even know it was a fill and redrill...for example 5x120 to a 4x100 bolt pattern, and those have overlapping holes)
Do you know what kind of business does that, I have two unilug Vectors as well.?

FLG

Where are you located?

Heres an example of what a very good fill and redrill will look like, you cant even notice it.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=218257

bobs66440

I have unilugs and while they are a royal pita to install, I never had a problem with them loosening or anything. But I always torque the wheels on.  :2thumbs:

flyinlow

With 5 X 4 1/2 bolt pattern on a 4 1/2 to 5 inch unilug, Mopars would be running with the lugnut shanks against the inside of the slots. I have not had any problems, but I do re torque after a few miles. Would not worry on most street cars.  Running them on a chevy with 4 3/4" patterns would bother me more, with all the centering load on the hub fit.   :Twocents: