News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Sending unit

Started by pullrock, February 10, 2012, 12:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrock

All,

Where is the best place to get the correct Fuel Sending unit for my 68 Charger R/T?  I have done a few searches and can't believe they cost over a $100.  :eek2: 

Thanks for the help!

pullrock

It's a real R/T car so I think it is a 3/8 but I have not been under it yet for figure it out.  Just replaced the fuel pump and still have no fuel to the carb...  Does anyone know if something goes back with these sending units?

Eric

bobs66440

Sounds like you have a blockage or a dirty fuel filter. Did you bow through the lines & change the filter? Usually, if a sender goes bad, it's an electrical or rheostat failure. Most have a sock filter on the end of the pickup tube. That could be clogged.

pullrock

Yes new fuel filter and pump...  Next step I guess is to take the little rubber line off between the tank and the metal fuel like and blow through it.  When I took off the fuel line on the tank side of the fuel pump there was almost no gas coming out of the fuel line.  Should there be a lot of gas coming out?

pullrock

Ok, I took the rubber hose off between the tank and the metal fuel line.  Unhooked the other side of the line from the fuel pump and blow some compressed air through it and all clean and flowing free.  Not sure what is next step is besides pulling the sending unit out and replacing, unless someone else has any better ideas?   :flame:Need to remove the fuel from the tank first... Good times.

Eric

Back N Black

when you replaced the fuel pump did you check the fuel pump push rod for wear? it should measure 3 1/4 inches.

pullrock

No I didn't do that.  This all started one day I was driving the car around town and it sputtered and died and would not start.  I pulled the fuel line off at the carb and it was dry.  I got a tow home and let the car sit in the garage for about an hour and it started without problem....  I replaced the fuel filter and went for a drive and after about 5 miles around town driving it sputtered and died again.  Second tow truck ride home.  This time I replaced the fuel pump with an old one and it started right up.  So I bought a new Holley for more fuel than the stock one and it will not start.  Now I am at a loss???  Sending unit?  I will go measure the push rod but that would account for the intermittent problem I have had  :brickwall:

Any help PLEASE!

chargd72

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

maxwellwedge

What kind of fuel filter? Vapor Seperator? There were some bad ones out there. Check the sock as well. Lightly blow some air through the frame rail fuel line into the tank.

pullrock

I am currently using a WIX fuel filter 33054 which as a return line.  I just checked the rubber lines off the tank and they look to be ok but I will replace and give it a try.  My next step is to pump the tank dry an pull the sending unit?

pullrock

well it looks like it was the original rubber hose off the tank to the metal fuel line and it did indeed have a two small hairline holes in it.  Going to see if it starts now...  the hose even has a part number on it.  EB D 03223

will keep you posted...

Eric

maxwellwedge

That is actually a date coded original hose. The last number is probably an 8.
A clogged sock filter in the tank is sounding likely maybe part of the problem

pullrock

Checked fuel pump push rod tonight, just 3 inches.  Would 1/4 inch missing cause problems like I am having?

Beer time!

Fred

Quote from: pullrock on February 10, 2012, 11:54:16 PM
Checked fuel pump push rod tonight, just 3 inches.  Would 1/4 inch missing cause problems like I am having?

Beer time!

Absolutely............toss it and buy a new one. It's much too short.
:cheers: have one for me!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

pullrock

Finally got the fuel rod replaced and drove the Charger tonight and all seems to be find!  Thanks for everyones help!

Eric

bobs66440

See? Size DOES matter!!  :lol:

:2thumbs:

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

pullrock