News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

painting valve covers

Started by deathcharger71, January 24, 2006, 03:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathcharger71

due to an ebay seller not responding to a horrible carb he sold me i have no money for new valve covers. i have cheapys painted black now but they look terrible, so im going to just paint them orange to keep my engine looking a little better for a month or two. what steps should i take to make sure the paint wont just chip off? can i paint over the black paint? i just need it to last a couple months, but i dont want orange paint peels all over my engine-scott

RD

Quote from: deathcharger71 on January 24, 2006, 03:54:53 PM
due to an ebay seller not responding to a horrible carb he sold me i have no money for new valve covers. i have cheapys painted black now but they look terrible, so im going to just paint them orange to keep my engine looking a little better for a month or two. what steps should i take to make sure the paint wont just chip off? can i paint over the black paint? i just need it to last a couple months, but i dont want orange paint peels all over my engine-scott

sandblast them, clean them of all oil residue, primer them in temp. primer, then paint them in heat temp orange paint.  or you can just paint them orange after the blasting w/o the primer.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

deathcharger71

BigBlockSam

i had good luck by. media blasting them. using a good primer, then when the primer sets up,  paint them rite away, don't let the primer dry overnite. 5 yrs later they still look great. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

deathcharger71

the engine shop painted mine black and they look like doody now, scuffs and scratches are very noticable and they arnt shiny at all anymore. my main goal is to just get chrome ones....but money is something i havnt seen in a while lol

Silver R/T

if you sand blast them theyll hold the primer real well
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Drop Top

I like using a glass bead blaster. It leaves a little less pits to try and cover up. If you dont have access to a blaster. Aircraft paint stripper works good to remove the paint. Chances are that its just rattle can on your covers anyway and it will come off very easy with stripper. Use it on the inside also. It will remove any oil residew also. You should be able to get it at any parts store. It comes in two differant types. Get the more expencive can. It works better. it also come in a spray can or brushable type. If youe get the spray can just watch where the overspray goes. Just fallow the directions on the can. If you use this method. You can start in the morning and be driving it in a few hours.