News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new job: Mechanic's Apprentice....

Started by Lightning, January 24, 2006, 05:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning

Well, yesturday I started a new job: I'm a Mechanic's Apprentice (well, that's the official title at least).

so, I get to bypass those college classes in Diagnostics and such, because I get to learn and get paid for it at the same time!
Plus since I will have the weekend days off now that means I can start rebuilding the LeBaron and see if I can get ahold of my friend's old T-bird to go racing with over at NSS! (having nights off is a great thing now as well)
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

andy74

good for you! just stick with it,you will learn more than you ever could from a book or votech-Andy

Charger_Fan

Congrats Man, now no stripping out any drain plugs. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

Silver R/T

congrats on that, save money for charger now
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Lowprofile

Congrats & Good Luck!  Don't spend all your money in the Snap-On truck!   :nono:   :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Silver R/T

Quote from: Lowprofile on January 25, 2006, 12:59:51 AM
Congrats & Good Luck! Don't spend all your money in the Snap-On truck! :nono: :D

ya shop harbor freight

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Telvis

Congratulations! You will have your own shop before you know it.

Lightning

well, If I'm super Lucky, I might have the LeBaron ready for Speedweeks this year over at NSS (New Smyrna Speedway), the shop I work at has been doing most of it's advertising by word-of-mouth, so I will be able to 60% convince my boss to put the shop's name on the side of the car.....so now I can finally get working on the car. y'all are right though, doing this is better than going to school for it, because I can get paid as I learn instead!

moparguy01

but in the long run the peice of paper can and will most definately make a difference. not trying to rain on your parade here, but make damn sure you want to spin wrenches the next 40 years. cause you sure as hell wont get rich enough off of doing it to retire early.

congrats on the job

twilt

The" hands on"  is great but in todays automotive field, you ALSO  need the "book learning" You will especially need that book learning in engine performance diagnostics. you will also need an education in electricity/electronics as they are the backbone of the industry.   without a proper education, you will be a clueless uneducated parts swapper. (already enough of those in the field)    i suspect that as an apprentice, you will typically be used a flunky. The bitter truth is that not many techs or master techs are really interested in training someone so that they can later compete with that trainee for flat rate hours.  On the bright side you can make a decent living at it, if you are
smart, hard working, and have the right employer. I will also give you a another hint as far as to financial success in the field..... You cannot make a good living working on poor peoples cars. Its a truth that one of my instructors in tech school passed on to me many years ago and i have found to be true. As a mech/tech you will have no shortage of "friends" wanting you to do them favors., I.E. working for free.. learn to say no. do the job once, do it right. when customers want you to cut corners and "rig" things, tell em to to take their vehicle to "half-ass motors"  ;D     Good luck!  BTW, i have been a Master Tech for 8 years now, went to vo-tech, and already had a solid elctronics background from military tech schools.

Silver R/T

I know real good mechanic, but he went on truckin' Not enough demand for mechanics auto body tech here these days. You gotta do whatever to put dough in the pocket

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

Quote from: moparguy01 on January 25, 2006, 06:40:28 PM
but in the long run the peice of paper can and will most definately make a difference. not trying to rain on your parade here, but make damn sure you want to spin wrenches the next 40 years. cause you sure as hell wont get rich enough off of doing it to retire early.

congrats on the job
:iagree:

you need the classroom learning in today's market.  My brotherinlaw went through a program that GM sponsored called ASEP.  He went to the local community college and took tech classes for two years.  While in school, he worked at a dealer changing oil, mounting tires, etc... When he was done, he had a college degree and a Job waiting for him at a dealer with a good wage, union, benefits, and he's still there 7 years later. food for thought.
RECHRGED

Dans 68

Quote from: dkn1997 on January 26, 2006, 02:39:38 PM
Quote from: moparguy01 on January 25, 2006, 06:40:28 PM

congrats on the job
:iagree:

you need the classroom learning in today's market.  My brotherinlaw went through a program that GM sponsored called ASEP.  He went to the local community college and took tech classes for two years.  While in school, he worked at a dealer changing oil, mounting tires, etc... When he was done, he had a college degree and a Job waiting for him at a dealer with a good wage, union, benefits, and he's still there 7 years later. food for thought.
:iagree: Don't forgo an education to work (if you have a choice, that is). Still take classes. You will better off in the long run.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

twilt

The classes will particularly  help you to pass your ASE certification tests. My employer will cap your $$$ at $15 per hour flat rate  if you have no
certs.  When i first went to work as a non certified mech, i was hired at $12/hour flat rate. 1.5  years later i had all 8 certs and was making $21/hr flat rate. 

Lightning

well, bad news: I got laid off.  It turns out the guy thought he could be able to have an employee, but it obviously turns out he wasnt able to keep paying me any longer, so after 4 days of working, I got laid off.  At least he paid me for the 4 days I worked there.  Good new is, Papa John's gave me my job back once I let them know what happened, so everything's Peachy again.  (And I should be able to start working on the Chrysler a bit more as well)

greenpigs

Quote from: Lightning 06 on January 28, 2006, 01:58:05 PM
well, bad news: I got laid off.  It turns out the guy thought he could be able to have an employee, but it obviously turns out he wasnt able to keep paying me any longer, so after 4 days of working, I got laid off.  At least he paid me for the 4 days I worked there.  Good new is, Papa John's gave me my job back once I let them know what happened, so everything's Peachy again.  (And I should be able to start working on the Chrysler a bit more as well)

That sucks!

Still an uncle of mine is a certified GM mechanic..the school and all the certs and he WAS making good money($20+hr). Why was, he got burned out and his legs were starting to give him trouble so now he is a card dealer in Reno. Don't ask..he is happy and that is just as important or more than your income.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Charger_Fan

Well that bites...did you ask for a severance package? :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Telvis

Probably a good idea to go to school if at all possible.......