News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield wipers not moving question?

Started by javakmcharger68, January 24, 2006, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javakmcharger68

The peice connected to each wiper arm hass not moved in a while and are stuck because of this. Any ways to free them up(wiper arm pushs on to the item I am talking about). Secondly, where these peice connect to a rod & then to the motor. What goes between the rods where they connect to the motor? Hard to explain but I hope someone knows what I am talking about. Any kits for putting these parts back together. Thanks

mopar_madman

depends on the year I believe, My 73 had plastic bushings that held all the brackets together, they rotted to nothing. Got replacements  from R/T specialties at one of the mopar swaps.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Chryco Psycho

there is a nylon bushing to hlod the linkage to the motor properly
you may be able to save the pivots by soaking them in penetrating fluid [Not WD40]

mysil bergsprekken

just like mine, stuck and not moving... I believe my motor and switch works properly though... what makes it stick like this I wonder?
69 charger RT

Nacho-RT74

Are you sure motor crank is spinning ? If not I would think on driver gear loosen from shaft inside motor. Nylon main gear broken and shaft is free. Time to replace gear if you think will be able to make it yourself or rebuilt service, whatever you preffer.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chatt69chgr

The pivots are bad to freeze up.  As suggested, soaking them in penetrating fluid may free them up.  If you take the linkage loose from the motor, you can isolate whether the problem is with the pivots or the linkage (or the motor).  Getting to that stuff is really difficult unless the car is apart.  Good luck. 

mysil bergsprekken

hey, thanks for the advice.
that is a logic way to approach the problem.
But if I am going to free up the pivots or link I would have to get under the dash right? How much of the dash do I have to remove to get to it?
69 charger RT

mysil bergsprekken

It is done folks! I were able to reach under the dash and remove the pivots. Used heat and penetrating fluid and excessive force and patience. 4 hours and they were free.
Also installed grease fittings on them and they are ready to be greased up.
Wondering if the grease will spread inside the pivots? Should I try with NLGI 1 grease instead of NLGI 2 ??
69 charger RT

AKcharger

When I did my '70 my pivots were frozen up too. I removed them, cleaned them up and installed grease fittngs.  :2thumbs:

nascarxx29

There used to be a vendor that sold repo wiper pivots .They seize up due to aluminum body with steel shaft :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 18, 2011, 12:06:33 AM
They seize up due to aluminum body with steel shaft :Twocents:

That makes sense. They are also very exposed to weather and have no seal up top I believe.
69 charger RT