News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Compression max.

Started by Highbanked Hauler, August 04, 2005, 10:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

What is the most compression you can use on 93 pump gas? 318cu. with 360 cast heads. Thanks.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Chryco Psycho

9.8 : 1 depending on the cam used

hemigeno

Wouldn't the total timing (degrees of advance) used on the motor play a factor as well?

Chryco Psycho

well you want to optomise the power of any combo by using the ideal timing setting so really we are discussing the max compression without having to retard timing to compensate for too much compression
To elaborate on Cam effects , a long duration cam will leave the valve open longer which bleeds off cylinder pressure at lower RPM where detonation is most common  & helps build pressure by helping the scavenging & ram effects so the cylinder can actually achieve more than 100% cylinder filling at higher RPM , short duration cams do the opposite & actually trap more pressure at lower RPM so even a 8:1 compression engine can detonate under low RPM load 

bull

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 04, 2005, 11:47:08 PM
well you want to optomise the power of any combo by using the ideal timing setting so really we are discussing the max compression without having to retard timing to compensate for too much compression
To elaborate on Cam effects , a long duration cam will leave the valve open longer which bleeds off cylinder pressure at lower RPM where detonation is most common   & helps build pressure by helping the scavenging & ram effects so the cylinder can actually achieve more than 100% cylinder filling at higher RPM , short duration cams do the opposite & actually trap more pressure at lower RPM so even a 8:1 compression engine can detonate under low RPM load  

Whoa. My brain just locked up.  :shruggy:

Chryco Psycho