News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gunna give body work a shot

Started by THMPN73, January 25, 2006, 04:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THMPN73

Hey, Ive decided I want to attemp some body work, never really done much before and I would like to buy a good book to do some research on so I can at least pretend to know what i am doing.... any suggestions on a good book or sites?
Don't worry, I've got good tires...

MichaelRW

Pro Paint & Body by Jim Richardson with Tom Horvath. It's an HP book. Retail price of $18.95. It has good, straight forward descriptions of techniques to use and it is well organized.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

jaak

:iagree:  Good book, I have it, i also have Project Charger by Larry Lyles, And also with the help of the pros here, DropTop, Doc74, CudaKen and others they give you good tips and advise. I just took the plunge into bodywork myself, I haven't got far yet, because of other things that came up, but I got a thread on either page 2 or 3 titled "OK bodymen....." if you want to check that out.

Good luck and Keep us updated,
Jason

'CUDA360

You might want to practice on some scrap first.  I did Pontiacs first so I had lots of practice on rust, bondo and fiberglass.

When I got done practicing I went to Mopar  :icon_smile_cool:

Silver R/T

local colleges should have textbook that teaches how to do bodywork
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 27, 2006, 03:18:05 PM
So he should enroll in college first?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

THMPN73

its ok im goin to the university of alberta so dont have to worry about enrolling in nothing.

THMPN73

Thanks alot for all the help I will be going to see what i can find in the library... should be able to find almost anything we have at least 4 huge libraries that I know of on campus

Silver R/T

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 27, 2006, 04:18:19 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on January 27, 2006, 03:18:05 PM
So he should enroll in college first?

no he doesnt, but he can check out their bookstore for good book on bodywork. Also check out www.hotrodders.com for lots of info on bodywork and any other info including brakes, engine, suspension etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Drop Top

Or just ask us here and send pics of what your going to do first. Theres bound to be someone here that has already done whatever your are about to tackle. We can help but you will have to lesson. Allot of good body guys around here. Of course these the few notso good ones here also. But you'll figure out the differance really fast.

THMPN73

Well the only part of the car that really scares me is of coarse the rear quarters... the rest of the rust is all on the rock guard which will give me a bit of room for error on my first time. what is the best way to tackle the rear fender(I dont want to buy news ones because its just not in my budget at this time)? Im goin to cut them out and need to weld something in.. would you recommend just tryin to form a piece of sheet metal?
Thanks THMPN73

Drop Top

If the rust isn't too bad and you can fabracate. Then just cut out the rust and make your own panel. Make sure you cut enough metal out so you don't miss any rust. Take an ice pick and punch around the area for weak metal areas.