News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona clone or leave it be?

Started by Indygenerallee, March 02, 2012, 10:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 DAYTONA

...glad to see you went Daytona...the orange 01 cars are everywhere in our area

Indygenerallee

Yeah, I saw a General Lee the other day in Terre Haute and I thought to myself the same thing.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

cdr

yeh ,magna flow cats work good,BUT to run a good tune on car for horse power you have to go a little on the rich side , in turn makes the cats get VERY hot,like melt things catch things on fire,smell like rotton eggs,ask me how i know,and i am not trying to sound like a know it all,but i have done a lot of efi tuning & one example 1985 monte carlo SS we built a late model efi lt1,cam headers ported heads ect 400 rear wheel hp,car had to have cats at that time to pass emisions test ,& it liked to melt shifter cables ,carpet ,& yes i put heatsheilds all around the cats,couldent wait for the car to be old enough to not have to pass emis test & get them fire hazard cats off the car,down here in texas 24 years old & older dont have to pass emis test,YEA, this is just my experience of one of allot just my  :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

I will cross that bridge when I get there, I had Hotwireauto take the EGR function out of the 05 Ram PCM and the "SKIM" security function that way it never disables the fuel pump for seeing a "security" error. and I bought one of their hot rod 5.7 Hemi harnesses and it was well worth the money totally plug and go, I think I have 5 wires that have to be hooked up and it is running! I bought a 05 Ram throttle pedal (drive by wire) and the backup switch and that was the only other pieces I needed.

cdr

i have an 85 iroc 350 roller motor TPI, ported heads ,cam ect,put one of the ez efi self tuning wide band o2 system,very ez plug & play,i love it,but gotta finish puttin it back together,& put it up for sale to fund my charger project
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

Your smart!! Get rid of that Chevy!! I had a couple once upon a time, the only good thing about a Chevy is cheap parts!!

Indygenerallee

Finally got my decklid closeout from Gene Gregory, about a hour later I had the closeout panel sitting in place!!!

100_1139 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1138 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1144 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1140 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Indygenerallee

One question for all you that have done the decklid conversion or own a real Daytona. How tall is the lip that is bent over? (1/4"?) I was planning on just bending it over and using my Miller 220 spot welder and spot welding it about 6 times across the top just like Creative did. and just run a couple small beads with the mig on the "strengthening" ribs, from the pics I can find thats what it looks like Creative did.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Indygenerallee

No prob Rene, I figure Larry will chime in !!  :icon_smile_big: I do appreciate all the help from everyone on all my questions!! :2thumbs: Just got back from Harbor Freight I bought a tubing bender so I can bend these trunk hinges, $70.00 for a bolt to the floor model with several different dies, as long as I get both hinges made before it breaks I will be good!!  :lol:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 21, 2012, 08:16:11 AM
One question for all you that have done the decklid conversion or own a real Daytona. How tall is the lip that is bent over? (1/4"?) I was planning on just bending it over and using my Miller 220 spot welder and spot welding it about 6 times across the top just like Creative did. and just run a couple small beads with the mig on the "strengthening" ribs, from the pics I can find thats what it looks like Creative did.

generally the folded over (90 degrees) front leading edge is 3/8" approx, for reference the "side" dimension, the length along where the rear qtr runs parallel to the trunk edge is 21 1/2", if your looking to make your lid approx the same as an original, you might consider the dimensios important, esp if your going to install a tape stripe, on an original car there can be as little as 1/2" up to 1" of decklid exposed in front of the stripe installed on the car, you make your lid to "long", or short, it may look out of porportion the moment you start appling a stripe,...the dutchman panel on a stock C500/Daytona is approx 12 1/2" wide, and generally there about 3 3/4" of metal width above the top of the window, both these dimensions are from the outer edge of the chrome window trim, IIRC the "height" of the C500/Daytona window opening is 26"....the Vega plug, IIRC is 24"...measured at the centerline

Mike

Indygenerallee

Thanks for the pics Mike! I was planning on making the decklid the same dimensions as original so that way the tail stripe looks right! Thanks!!!

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

You shouldn't make the deck lid identical to the original if you're using the third gen dutchman. The reinforcement ribs on the underside if the deck lid closeout will hit the ledges. Lay the closeout panel on the dutchman where it's going to sit and you'll see what I mean. I leave extra material in front of the closeout and make the lip further out. This way the weatherstrip ledge sits where it should against the underside of the deck lid. We already had Howie's deck lid done before we discovered the 3rd gen dutchman idea. We're going to make him another deck lid that sits correctly against the ledge.
Allen's was done correctly and his trunk shouldn't leak.
You can kind of see what I'm talking about when you look at your photo. The ledge where the gasket sits is all of the way under the ribs. Move that closeout away from the dutchman until the ledges align. Make sense?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

Here we go. I found a pic of a deck lid that I modified to use with a 3rd gen dutchman. Notice how much more material there is between the closeout and the lip compared to Mike's pic of an orginal deck lid? Also, I think with the 3rd gen dutchman, the lip ends up being about 1/4 inch instead of 3/8 like on the originals.

Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

Larry, I know exactly what you mean I had noticed that when I layed the closeout panel on the dutchman panel and thought to myself this thing is hitting bigtime!  :lol: Thanks for the heads up!!!  :2thumbs:

hotrod98

I wanted to point that out before you made the final cuts. :yesnod:

Charles Addams

Indygenerallee

Indygenerallee

Well I just picked up my 70 hood that I bought from Rene! Really happy I have it now! :icon_smile_big: once I get my brackets from Larry I can get a even better picture of how to get the fenders modded, I did make the fender bumper indention filler plate made and bent just need to make a exact copy for the driver side then to make the top fender/side/front edge made!!
100_1171 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
100_1170 by indygenerallee1, on Flickr

BigBlockSam

very cool!  :cheers: :cheers: that's the original hood from the playboy daytona

Indygenerallee

Thanks again Rene! It does have a few waves (probably from the Greyhound ride!)  :lol: Nothing that can't be fixed!! plus the price was right so I can't complain!!!

hotrod98

Your brackets are on the way...

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 12, 2012, 06:34:30 PM
:cheers:

I FINALLY found better pictures of the bird bracket off core support to hold the latch tray
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE