News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A bit overpriced?

Started by y3chargerrt, March 04, 2012, 07:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

maxwellwedge

Been discussed before.

If you don't need one it doesn't matter.

If you need one - Maybe - there are one or 2 cheaper ones out there but they don't have the features found on this one. Does that warrant the higher price? Again, depends what you are willing to spend and live with. If you have one of these cars and need one I would only consider a good used original or an NOS part.....These cars are rare so any unique part is going to cost a lot higher....and let's face it - how many of these primo parts are left out there? 35k is what a friend paid for an NOS Daytona nose and misc. parts for it.

62 Max

Actually one sold on ebay about 1 1/2 yrs ago for a little over 16K. :scratchchin:

DAY CLONA

NOS wingcar parts are no guarantee of a "perfect" fit or finish, I've had my share of NOS body parts myself, or supplied by customers to correct/repair, wingcar NOS parts are IMHO perhaps the worst of NOS parts in the system, because of their nature, and the suppliers that made them,.....with the amount of repro steel noses out there in the market,...an NOS nose for 5 figs is just bragging rights for an owners  claim to "originality", for that price make mine repro, better things to waste $$$ on

odcics2

It's either real or it's not.  Paying premium $$$ for NOS would depend on the car in question and if the owner wants to, and can afford, to do it right.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

mopar4ya

This was NOS one day, now it's a wall hanging :icon_smile_big:

Dan.

hemi68charger

Quote from: mopar4ya on March 04, 2012, 08:39:47 PM
This was NOS one day, now it's a wall hanging :icon_smile_big:

Dan.

Ouch !!!!! I can only image the rest of the car..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Redbird

I get that the kirksite molds for the nose cones had to be repaired after making each dozen or so nose cones so there will be/could be variations. They could be the worst or best fit. They will have the factory spot welds and folds. At the grill screen openings I would think that the proof would be how a grill screen fit.

I understand why a NOS 1973 Cuda quarter may not have the crisp lines a factory installed 1970 quarter would, the forms had quite a bit of wear in 4 years. In a large run I can understand why a underhood brace on a  1968 B-body could be different on a 1970 B-body. And the same for a 1968 vs 1970 inner fender. As for some of the other parts I don't understand as much why NOS parts would have much variation in size, especially in a short run. For instance fiberglass wing car fender scoops and headlights. Did the forms wear out from uncured plastic being put in them?

I bought a set of NOS Superbird grill frames a few years ago (and a fender scoop in the factory box) They all had Chrysler labeling from the Bicentennial so I'm guessing they were picked off the shelf in 1976, but probably made in 1970. The grill screens fit all 3 of my nose cones perfect. The frames exactly match my originals too. For that matter the NOS fender scoops and headlight covers I have match my originals.

I know that the reproduction steel headlight buckets I have seen don't seem to have the same pressure ridges in the wrapped portions that the NOS parts have. But I don't know what kind of molds the headlight buckets, Z-braces, grill frames and latch trays were formed on so I don't know how they specifically wore out as stamping progressed. I do know that the NOS Superbird lower valance panels I have on the shelf exactly match the ones on my cars, so Chrysler must have had some good molds for them, especially given the complex shape.

wingcar

A lot of us that have been around wingcars for awhile have a couple of NOS parts in the garage....I have a pair of Superbird A-Pillar moldings, a Daytona rear window, and a Daytona rear deck.  All are NOS, so what are they worth....it all depends on how much someone really wants/needs them.    Which is true about anything....it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

montana bird

I just bought an nos superbird wing and nos washers. From ebay for $3,000 I Know it is alot of money but i didn't think that was bad. I was figuring to pay much higher, but i was the only bidder. :2thumbs: Must be good times and bad times of the year to list parts. :shruggy:

hotrod98

Quote from: montana bird on March 06, 2012, 10:54:12 AM
I just bought an nos superbird wing and nos washers. From ebay for $3,000 I Know it is alot of money but i didn't think that was bad. I was figuring to pay much higher, but i was the only bidder. :2thumbs: Must be good times and bad times of the year to list parts. :shruggy:

I sold my original extra Superbird wing with a set of my repro wing braces for $2800 last year so that sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Did you sell the other wing?

I would like to find an original Superbird hood for my car that wasn't astronomically high. My car has a custom air grabber hood which I love and I have a Coronet hood that Tom Ferry altered with a fiberglass extension.

The only parts that aren't original on my car are the hood and the valance.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 06, 2012, 03:23:43 PM
Quote from: montana bird on March 06, 2012, 10:54:12 AM

I sold my original extra Superbird wing with a set of my repro wing braces for $2800 last year so that sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Did you sell the other wing?

I would like to find an original Superbird hood for my car that wasn't astronomically high. My car has a custom air grabber hood which I love and I have a Coronet hood that Tom Ferry altered with a fiberglass extension.

The only parts that aren't original on my car are the hood and the valance.
My car has an original superbird hood   :D :D :D
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

montana bird

Hi Larry, I still have it. I Think it is beautiful. I had a moment of weakness on the nos wing, to be honest I was not going to pay more than $3,200. I sold the fiberglass nose and bought a new gene gregory Nose for $3,200 , a glass rear window, Steal rear window plug, so when the alum wing came up I had an Itch. When you think about it those aluminum wings were pretty high tech stuff for the 70's. I am still racking up stuff, got just about everything superbird only. Maybe 1 more year of buying parts then I will be able to get after it without stoping much, for parts or cash. I have a 440-6 pack sitting on the engine stand ready to go back together. Still looking for maybe a better body then the one I bought from you. One Montana winter and bondo fell out everywhere. It can be done, but if I can find something better I will. I will keep a lookout for a superbird hood for you. :2thumbs:

hotrod98

Don did a great job building that sheet metal wing. It wasn't easy. He almost gave up a couple of times.
I finally welded the holes up in the quarters of the 69 runner that I had the wing on. We were just talking about that wing yesterday.
I hate that the car is not what we thought it was. I have built cars that are definitely worse than that one though.
I'll keep my eyes open for a more solid car. I had found a real nice running driving limelight 70 Roadrunner, 383, 4 speed car for 10 grand last year but passed on it since I had sold my parts to you already. 

Stu...It's funny to think of clones having real wingcar parts and the real wingcars having clone parts...lol

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams