News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how to make a good spot weld

Started by 73chargers4404, January 26, 2006, 11:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargers4404

stupid question i just bought a lincoln mig welder ,but im useing flux type wire untill i can aford to buy a small argon tank.but anyway i need to make some strong spot weld just to hold my subframes in ,my question whats the best way to make a good spot weld do you hold in one place and let it pool upand does one know if it made good pentration.

'CUDA360

To answer your question, what I do is drill about a eigth inch hole, put the heat up and hold the trigger down slightly to let some gas come out first and then blast it for about a second.

I don't think that would work too well with the flux because it takes a second for the flux to start killing the oxygen.

You might want to buy the gas for best results

The Ghoul

wow kinda the same boat i am in.
go down to the home improvement or hardwear store and buy your self some sheet metal about the same thickness.  cut it into chunks about 2 inches wide and 3 long. then play around with heat and feed tacking bits together both at right angles and flat. make sure you note what will happen if you have too much heat or too much feed... and play around with making a tack and trying to break it before you break it make sure to note what the back side looks like. my brother in law clames that you can get a great indication of pennetration by how the back end looks.
once you have the heat and feed good enough for you liking try to make a tack on the car. if it burns thru bump down your heat a notch.
definetly the hole method (drilling a hole thru one of the metals to be welded and welding around it) is a goodin. it gives more contact area to the weld. I believe thast what 360cuda was saying.

Silver R/T

I would just wait till you can afford argon tank with proper wire. Makes HUGE difference in weld quality
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722