News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UPDATED: Do I have to pull out my windshield AGAIN-SO I DID!!

Started by sixpack_sid, March 24, 2012, 04:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I just installed a new windshield in my 68 Charger last weekend. It was my 1st intall and I researched all the posts here before I did it. Everything went pretty well except that the Drivers top corner of the gasket ripped as I was trying to feed it through. I figured I would  "putty it" with the window urethane and smooth it out. But I decided to put the trim on first and have another problem. The bottom windshield trim will not lock in. The clips are positioned right as far as I can tell. It seems like the rubber gasket may be too thick for the trim to go far enough into the channel to lock into the clips.
What do I do now??  :brickwall:
Need your  :Twocents:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

resq302

If it was me, I'd replace the rubber gasket.  It could also be too that the clip might not have enough of a bend on it or it got bent taking it off which is not letting it hold it in place that well.  I have one like that on my charger that gives me headaches trying to keep in place.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

sixpack_sid

Quote from: resq302 on March 24, 2012, 05:11:19 PM
If it was me, I'd replace the rubber gasket.  It could also be too that the clip might not have enough of a bend on it or it got bent taking it off which is not letting it hold it in place that well.  I have one like that on my charger that gives me headaches trying to keep in place.

The clips are new, the trim is used. Is the windshield supposed to have a certain gap height between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the channel?
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

tan top

silly question i know  , but got to ask , did you put the longer /or taller clips on the bottom
  glass has got to come out  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

sixpack_sid

Quote from: tan top on March 24, 2012, 07:08:42 PM
  silly question i know  , but got to ask , did you put the longer /or taller clips on the bottom
  glass has got to come out  :yesnod:

Yes, I did put the bigger clips on the bottom.  Not a silly question.

resq302

Maybe the edge of the trim is not a sharp enough bend to it to actually grab onto the clip?  Just trying to think of possibilities as to why it isnt holding down.  also, just because they are new doesnt mean they could have been stamped correctly.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

sixpack_sid

It almost seems to me as if the rubber gasket is too thick to let the trim clip in. Is this possible? Are the gaskets made in different thicknesses for different years/generations?

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

sixpack_sid

I took some pics: in the second pic the clip is in line with the tape on the window

sixpack_sid

resq302

the first pic is hard to see.  What condition is the lip of the molding in?  Did that possibly get bent when you were taking it off?
Brian

sixpack_sid

The lip on the molding seemed bent in, but I took an old bent piece and straightened it out. The trim still won't snap in.
I was looking thru other posts on the site and found on this link: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43139.0.html
a pic of the trim clips before the windshield goes in. It looks like the clips go almost to the top of the cowl. I put new larger clips in the existing screw holes, but my clips don't go near as high as the ones in this pic. Did they send me the wrong clips?? I'll be calling Mega Parts tomorrow.

bill440rt

Here is a pic of the windshield clips, found this just with a quickie search:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Windshield-Clips-1968-70-B-Body-Satellite-Road-Runner-Super-Bee-Charger-/130667293252?fits=Model:Charger&hash=item1e6c60aa44&item=130667293252&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Make sure they match with what you purchased.
I can't tell from your close up photo what they look like. Try using the macro setting on your camera when taking close-ups (flower symbol). Helps big time.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sixpack_sid

So I pulled my windshield out over the weekend. I ordered new clips-haven't gotten them yet. I hope they are longer than the long ones I have for the bottom. Here are pics of my current clips. You can see in the 1st pic, the trim clip that's closest is above the screw hole and it's still lower than the cowl. The clip further towards the drivers side is the original position. I don't think the clips are long enough to clip into the bottom trim.
Is anyone else familiar with this problem? Are they the wrong clips or are the holes in the wrong place? Is it common to redrill the holes before installing the new clips?
Looking for some help please! I'd like to reinstall the windshield this weekend.

bill440rt

The clips should fit in the recesses along the cowl. The base of the clips sit on the lower edge in the little recesses. They should be slightly below the cowl line, not even or up against it.
Your best bet is to test fit the trim BEFORE putting the windshield back in. Look at the reveal on the molding, I believe it is about 1/4" - 5/16" of an inch or so? The clip attaches to this reveal. The molding's edge should be flush with the cowl, so from there you can gauge how far below the clip should sit.

You can see the height of the clips here in the thread you referenced:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=oha71g5rv9pq6mo1n0f4bk4ml3&/topic,43139.0.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Looks like that most recent pic you posted the top most clip I would assume is the one that you can not clip into?  Going by how far down that is, that would be my guess.
Brian

Finn

I had the same issue with mine. Looks like you've got the short clips on there, deffinitely need the longer ones.
I had to take it out again too, except I paid someone to do it. Money well spent IMO, it looks like a pain in the butt.    :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

bill440rt

It looks like you have the right clips, they just look installed wrong. Too low.  :yesnod:
When you get the new kit, compare them to the ones you have.

Put a dab of sealer covering the screw hole before installing the clip, install clip, then cover part of the clip/screw with sealer afterwards. This will prevent corrosion and make them easier to remove later on down the track if need be. 

sixpack_sid

LOOK AT THIS!! The "longer" clips that came with my windshield clip are pictured in the middle of the short clips and the extra long clips that were sent to me today. The clip on the right is the correct clip for my car. I wish I would have known that a week ago! I'm showing this to make it known to anyone else looking for the windshield clips-BEWARE! They do come in different sizes!! The windshield clip kit I bought from Mega Parts included the clip shown on the left and middle. When I called them and told them that the longer clip didn't fit right, they sent these longer clips shown on the right.

bill440rt

FYI...
The clip furthest to the right is not correct.  :rotz:
:Twocents:

sixpack_sid

Quote from: bill440rt on March 31, 2012, 08:24:29 PM
FYI...
The clip furthest to the right is not correct.  :rotz:
:Twocents:

But the screw holes on my charger are too low for the middle clip to reach high enough to let the trim snap on. The clip on the right is longer so when I put it on, the clip is higher. :scratchchin:

Finn

The ones on the far right were what I had to use as well. I was told that the screw holes were low like that in early build 68 cars... :shruggy:
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

sixpack_sid

I wish I would have known before I put the windshield in. I had to pull it out and redrilled the holes higher cause the clips didn't arrive in time. I was working on installing the windshield this morning and I broke it trying to get the top corner in the gasket! :brickwall: CRAP!! Then I went around front to get the mail, and there were the longer clips I was waiting for! I'm having a BAD DAY!!
So I have to order ANOTHER NEW windshield, setting me back more $$. I think  I'll bite the bullet and have a professional install it this time... lf I can get someone to come to the house and do it for me. I'll call around on Monday.

Finn

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L