News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who has done a 4 speed conversion and how long does it take?

Started by AKcharger, March 25, 2012, 12:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Hi Guys, this is a diffrent 4 spd conversion thread...I know what I need and have all the parts. My question is before I start in on this how man man hours is avg. for a conversion. What were the biggest headaches? is it just as easy to pull the motor?

Thanks

RallyeMike

Time depends on your skills and how nice you want it to be. Are you gonna clean all that stuff up before the install, during the install, or just toss it in?

I would pull the motor out to ease the installation of the pivot bracket and floor pan modification, and to assemble the engine and trans out of the car.  Not necessary, just preferred.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

AKcharger

Thanks Ralley. most of the parts are already blasted awaiting paint. No way in good concious could I put 'em in as is, that was just a pic of the parts when I got them. Actually a friend bought them all for me while I was in Korea. I'm thinking of going the engine removal route.  :scratchchin:

kab69440

It won't do you a lot of good to pull the block. You need it in place to locate the gearbox, crossmember, pivot bracket, clutch linkage and so on. Plus you need to know all this new stuff will clear your exhaust system. Unless you are installing a forged crank to avoid trimming the gearbox's input shaft, you might as well leave the engine right where it is.

PS It took me an entire Saturday when I was a kid and all full of energy and ambition. It would be a 5 year project,  these days.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Cooter

Need to make sure you aren't putting that thing behind a cast crank engine..THAT would be thie biggest thing to look for.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

AKcharger

Good point about the positioingn KAB. I'm running stock Cast Irons HP manifols so that might make it a bit easier.

Hmmmm, man I don't remember about the crank? it's a '67 383 and I THINK it's a cast. I stuffed it in in '03. How do you tell again? if it's got weights on the Torque converter?

Highbanked Hauler

Realistically  a weekend  should do it without breaking a sweat but I did mine 10 minutes at a time and I didn't put a console in  :Twocents: What are you putting it in ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

AKcharger

It's going in my '70,  The Burnt Orange one in my Avatar pic . I've always wanted a 4 speed but the pistol grip was always a problem, VERY hard to find. Well, long story short, my pal found whole set up (minus clutch and floor hump) a few years ago for me, it's just been waiting to go in. My issue is the '70 is in storage in PA and I only see it once a year when My wife and I fly down for Carlise from AK. So I'm trying to budget time on my next trip to make the swap over.

Oh...only thing I can't find is the console trim on the drivers side, it's diffrent cause of the hump. any sources on that??

Rolling_Thunder

The biggest PITA is the clutch/brake pedal assembly.

You should be able to do it in about 10 hours total as a nice "hobby" page of work but beverages in between.   :D

I think it would be just as easy installing it from under the car as it would by removing the engine. Once the frame bracket and the floor hump is installed everything else is nuts and bolts. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

matrout76

Quote from: Cooter on March 25, 2012, 02:27:12 PM
Need to make sure you aren't putting that thing behind a cast crank engine..THAT would be thie biggest thing to look for.

why not?

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: matrout76 on March 25, 2012, 07:30:29 PM

why not?

Some people think a cast crank is not good for a 4-speed (I have never seen a reason to question it but some people do)

Another factor if that usually cast cranks require weighted flywheels along with different harmonic balancers
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Cooter

Quote from: matrout76 on March 25, 2012, 07:30:29 PM

why not?

Cast crank engines (other than the 360 Chrysler which came factory with a straight drive and cast crank), will NOT accept a flywheel without ALOT of problems. Sure, it'll bolt up, but you'll be back on here in about a month asking WTF your engine is knocking and vibrating like hell. a 1967 383 should be a steel crank, so he should be ok. If you've ever seen a cast crank break from running an improperly balanced flywheel/4-speed set up, you'd understand why this shouldn't be so hard to understand.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

AKcharger

Quote from: Cooter on March 25, 2012, 08:35:15 PM
If you've ever seen a cast crank break from running an improperly balanced flywheel/4-speed set up, you'd understand why this shouldn't be so hard to understand.

Really? the crank will break???

kab69440

If it is far enough out of balance and run long enough, yes. At a minimum it will eat up bearings and seals. Don't forget about the pilot hole being too shallow to accept the nose of the input shaft.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

gtx6970

lots of factors to consider, how proficcent you are, - how correct you want it to be

average , 2 solid full days ( maybe )

Troy

I think aligning and welding the z-bar bracket may be a royal pain with the engine still in the car. I'm not sure why you need the engine in there for anything. The floor hump and z-bar bracket have locating marks. Lining up the trans input and the crank would be a lot easier outside of the car. Not to mention, getting those top two bolts that mount the engine to the trans can be tough. The pedal assembly is difficult with the dash assembled and seats installed - although I will *assume* you'll be removing the seats before doing any welding on the hump.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BIGBLCK11

:iagree:  It was much easier with the engine out.  I did the conversion last spring.  It was also very nice having the steering column out, as I was swapping that too.  I did temporarily mount the transmission with the bellhousing attached, to make sure it was all aligned nicely.  I just mounted the rear crossmember and supported the front with a heavy ratchet strap across the torsion bars. There is only a mark on the frame, for the front corner of the ball stud bracket to line up with, so it helped mocking it up with the z-bar and bellhousing.  The hump was pretty easy also, as it pretty much only fits one way with the contours of the floorpan.  I already had my cluster out too, but the pedal assy. would have been more difficult if it was still in.  I was doing engine work too, so it was apart for awhile.  But, if you have all the parts painted/cleaned and ready to install, I am sure 1 to 2 days could be done.  Good luck. The end result is well worth it!  :icon_smile_big:

AKcharger

Thanks guys

Last questions:
- Is the console trim on the drivers side console available anywhere?
- Is the cross member same for auto/manual
- I have the rubber boot for the console...is there one for the floor as well?

Thanks!

Troy

Quote from: AKcharger on March 27, 2012, 03:19:45 PM
Thanks guys

Last questions:
- Is the console trim on the drivers side console available anywhere?
- Is the cross member same for auto/manual
- I have the rubber boot for the console...is there one for the floor as well?

Thanks!

1. It was but now it's not. It has always been difficult to find and there was great rejoicing when the repro came out. Now, only sadness.
2. In a 70 I believe it is (68-69 have different cross members for each).
3. Yes.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BIGBLCK11

Yes, the 70 cross member is the same for both, BUT you need a trans with the 70-74 tail housing.  From the pic, it doesn't appear yours has the rear E-body shifter pad that is also on the later transmission.  It still uses the front B-body shifter pad, but the cross member mount flange is up further on the transmission.

I love the FK5!!  :2thumbs:

RallyeMike

QuoteBUT you need a trans with the 70-74 tail housing.  From the pic, it doesn't appear yours has the rear E-body shifter pad that is also on the later transmission.

Ya.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: RallyeMike on March 27, 2012, 09:34:53 PM

You'll also have to stretch your shifter rods about 12 inches to reach the E-shifter (71-74 B) shifter pad.

Nope, I bought a new Hurst, 70 pistol grip shifter mechanism and the "correct" shifter rods, use the B-Body shifter pad, no issues at all.

myk

Quote from: AKcharger on March 26, 2012, 02:14:13 AM
Quote from: Cooter on March 25, 2012, 08:35:15 PM
If you've ever seen a cast crank break from running an improperly balanced flywheel/4-speed set up, you'd understand why this shouldn't be so hard to understand.

Really? the crank will break???

I wouldn't forget about the crank issue, and whether you have the correct one or not.  Like Cooter says, cast and forged cranks and their related drivetrain configurations are balanced differently.  You could very well be dealing with a problem after the install.  I hope there's some way you can verify what crank you have.  On top of that, I hope you pull this off-what a great 'mod...

A
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

AKcharger

copy all guys, thanks.

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on March 27, 2012, 06:57:01 PM
Yes, the 70 cross member is the same for both, BUT you need a trans with the 70-74 tail housing.  From the pic, it doesn't appear yours has the rear E-body shifter pad that is also on the later transmission.  It still uses the front B-body shifter pad, but the cross member mount flange is up further on the transmission.

I love the FK5!!  :2thumbs:

Hmmmm tail housing issue huh, what if I got a '68/69 cross member would that solve the problem? trying to think about what is easier

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: AKcharger on March 28, 2012, 11:22:49 AM
Hmmmm tail housing issue huh, what if I got a '68/69 cross member would that solve the problem? trying to think about what is easier

Yeah, that would work.  But, the original 4-speed cross members are hard to find.  You can alter one for an automatic or buy one that has been done already.  There are threads here on that subject.  

Brewer's sells the converted ones, not too bad on the price. http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TC668