News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Sway-bar. Opinions?

Started by marangen, January 27, 2006, 09:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marangen

Have the front on 68 R/T.

Should I get rear?

What to get to improve street handling (main use - no racing)?

Grateful for any input!

M

Mike DC

The best setup I've seen (but I don't remember who makes it now!) is a copy of one of the factory Mopar setups.  It goes in between the axle and the frame right above/in front of the diff, as opposed to below/behind the axle like most of the aftermarket setups do.

bill440rt

I've heard that the Hotchkis bars are really nice units. PST has them for a little over $500 front & rear. I'm most likely gonna go with them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

8WHEELER

We talked about sway bars hear  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,5905.0.html

The picture of the Rear sway bar hooked up is mine, I took it off a 78 Dodge Diplomat police car 26yrs ago, fits perfect.

Yes it does help, and you will notice it driving on the road. I would not install one on an all stock show
car, but this car is modified so I put it on, now I never want to take it off, except to clean everything  :rotz:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Troy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 27, 2006, 07:09:08 PM
The best setup I've seen (but I don't remember who makes it now!) is a copy of one of the factory Mopar setups. It goes in between the axle and the frame right above/in front of the diff, as opposed to below/behind the axle like most of the aftermarket setups do.

I think the Firm Feel rear sway bar is the one you are talking about. It's the one I'll be using. Here's a link:
http://www.firmfeel.com/swaybars_b.htm

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mopar Crazy

If you look at the last pic for Firm Feel, their rear sway bar mounts on top of the rear. Others mount on the bottom of the rear.

Quote from: Troy on January 28, 2006, 11:10:33 AM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 27, 2006, 07:09:08 PM
The best setup I've seen (but I don't remember who makes it now!) is a copy of one of the factory Mopar setups. It goes in between the axle and the frame right above/in front of the diff, as opposed to below/behind the axle like most of the aftermarket setups do.

I think the Firm Feel rear sway bar is the one you are talking about. It's the one I'll be using. Here's a link:
http://www.firmfeel.com/swaybars_b.htm

Troy

Is there any difference top or bottom mounting??????????

Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Jon Smith

there less unsprung weight if the bar is mounted to the floor rather than the axle

Mopar Crazy

Ok, not sure what that means (Unsprung weight), but I get that the better set up is over the rear??
thanks
Pete
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

will

Half way through getting this firm feel installed. Everything appears well made. I'm also installing espo 1" over stock springs. It would be nice on a lift. I'm not getting any younger. I remember when I was 15 crawling under a 75 Gran Fury to get the exhaust installed in January in a jean jacket. I digress. Hopefully I can get it installed tomorrow and post some pics.

Chryco Psycho

a car will handle better with less unsprung weight so the Firm feel bars are the better design

Mike DC

As much as anything, I think having the bar tucked up above the axle just looks better. 

I know that Chargers weren't built with a big thick swaybar visible down under the rear axle, and it's never been a common modification to put one there throughout the history of musclecars.  So it annoys me to the sway bar there.

8WHEELER

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 29, 2006, 01:31:01 AM
As much as anything, I just think having the bar tucked up above the axle just looks better. 

I know that Chargers weren't built with a big thick swaybar visible down under the rear axle, and it's never been a common modication to put one there throughout the history of musclecars.  So it annoys me to the sway bar there.

If you are driving behind me you can't see my sway bar, only if you stick your head under the car can you find it.
I don't care for big rear sway bars myself unles on a real modified car, mine does just go under the axle but
its the same color as the diff and you can't see it. The car is low enough it also hides it maybe.

This underside pic is 15yrs old, I need new pictures since I cleaned up the bottom of the car.

Dan

Blakcharger440

Hey 8Wheeler I really like how your car sits. Looks like you have 1 inch lowering blocks?
And what brand of rear sway bar is on your car?

8WHEELER

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 30, 2006, 10:40:25 AM
Hey 8Wheeler I really like how your car sits. Looks like you have 1 inch lowering blocks?
And what brand of rear sway bar is on your car?

The rear lowering blocks are 1-1/2in, I made them and put them in 26yrs ago. They are not pretty but work.
The Rear sway bar on my car I took it off a 78 Dodge Diplomat police car 26yrs ago, fits perfect.

Dan

Silver R/T

how difficult is to install that firmfeel rear sway bar?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

should not be hard other than getting the link plate between the diff & spring , I would cut the U bolts & replace them

will

Not too bad, I spent maybe an hour or 2 on either side. Might have to move brake lines to mount bushing bracket though. I haven't gotten that far yet. Make sure that the zirc fitting is down. The brackets are tapered also.

phat69charger

Here's a link I posted a few days ago it may help you out  http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/43561/

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

myk

It's an old one, too.  I remember that from way back...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mopar2Ya

I have a 1" hellwig rear sway bar I'm in the process of installing. It requires drilling of the frame. Do all the other brands of rear sway bars require drilling to mount FirmFeel, addco, pst.....???? Will drilling the frame harm the cars value or structural integrity? OK, I've figured that all/most rear sway bars required drilling, unless the car was already equipped w/one. Does anyone have any experience w/the hellwig rear sway bar? Will it clear a Dana 60?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Mopar2Ya

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8