News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water drips on my foot when I drive in the rain

Started by XH29N0G, April 27, 2012, 09:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

Can you help.

Water drips on my foot when I drive in the rain (gushes when it pours).  1970 Charger. 

Could it be a plugged drain for the spot just in front of the windshield and behind the hood?  If so, can someone tell me how to clean it. I think it may be filled with leaf litter.

Help will be appreciated, 

Thanks,

James
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

Drain for cowl is inside the fender area near front of door. Wiper pivot seals will leak, windshield gasket will leak also in that corner by VIN plate. Use a bright flashlight to look upside down under dash while someone flushes water on the cowl to see if you can trace leak.   :scratchchin:

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

b5blue

471_Magnum

I've had more than a couple of Mopars that have done that. My money would be on the windshield gasket, but the other areas mentioned as strong possibilities as well.

Just drive faster than the rain.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

XH29N0G

Thank you for suggesting the test.  My son poured the water and I collected it.  The cowl was not the culprit.  Neither were the wipers.  There is a BIG leak from the seal around the lower part of the windshield near the VIN.

James

Or maybe it protects us. 

b5blue

Same here. Remove all the trim and fill/seal with 3M Automotive Bedding & Glazing Compound #08509

XH29N0G

Thanks again, 

I am glad that I know what it is from.  For the immediate future, I will probably wait on this repair and just avoid driving in the rain.  I am planning to have the body, interior and mechanicals of the car restored this summer.  The car has been mine since the early 1980's and before that was my parent's family car (first job, first new car).  It has 42 year of scratches, dents, etc...

James

Or maybe it protects us. 

b5blue

The sealer runs about 10.00 and will harm nothing if you need to use it. It never drys hard, it stays sticky.  :2thumbs: Nice to have a car with so much connection!