News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird ride quality

Started by hotrod98, April 27, 2012, 10:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I've been driving my new six speed Challenger for a few weeks now. Tonight, I decided to drive the bird to a cruise night in a small town about thirty miles away. I have to admit that the new Challenger has me totally spoiled. Compared to the new car, the bird drives like a Sherman tank. Don't get me wrong. That won't keep me from driving it but it's so amazing how different two vehicles can be. I'm seriously thinking about building a new 440 for the bird. I want to build an engine that is fully balanced, a little less radical, add the TTI coated headers and the TTI exhaust. I might even look into the new EFI six pack throttles bodies to eliminate some of the issues with the stock six barrel carbs. I need to update the suspension and have the steering gear box rebuilt as well.
Funny how this stuff wasn't important before.

If it wasn't a real bird, I would install a new 6.1 and a new 5 speed.  Now I need an identical looking clone to go with my real bird.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Aero426

Given that it has been 40 years, I would expect the new car to do some things better than the old one.   Going back another 40 years, I drove a 1930 Dodge last summer.   It felt a little bit agricultural.   Getting back in the Superbird felt pretty good.

BigBlockSam

yep, challenger has air conditioning , yep
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

But the Challenger doesn't make people go crazy either. When driving the bird, I've had to learn how to react in a positive manner even when I'm not in a good mood. Otherwise, people think that you're an egotistical b_stard. Wait a minute...oh...never mind  ;D

Charles Addams

boss429kiwi

Yes, peoples reaction while driving the Superbird has been a real eye opener to me.
I have driven many rare cars, and NOTHING gets a reaction like the Superbird. My Boss 429 didn't get a second look.

For example:
The other day while driving the Superbird around town, I passed two guys in their 20's walking along the road and one yelled out "F%&# thats ugly" and I said to myself with a smile "yes it is". Then about a mile down the road, I passed another two guys in their 20,s walking along the road and both fell to their knee bowing.

I think that somes up my Superbird experience nicely  :icon_smile_big:  
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

I bet the ones that yelled it's ugly are into Nissan Pulsars and VW Rabbits.

moparstuart

The steer and gear firm feel box,  1 inch torsion bars and front and rear sway bars and my bird drive 1000% different  i love it
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

boss429kiwi

Quote from: boss429kiwi on April 28, 2012, 01:51:05 AM
Yes, peoples reaction while driving the Superbird has been a real eye opener to me.
I have driven many rare cars, and NOTHING gets a reaction like the Superbird. My Boss 429 didn't get a second look.

For example:
The other day while driving the Superbird around town, I passed two guys in their 20's walking along the road and one yelled out "F%&# thats ugly" and I said to myself with a smile "yes it is". Then about a mile down the road, I passed another two guys in their 20,s walking along the road and both fell to their knee bowing.

I think that somes up my Superbird experience nicely  :icon_smile_big:   

41husk

I havve to admitt the 09 Challenger is cool but a different cool than the old iron.  I would have trouble parting with either :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hotrod98

Allen, I would love to have been able to have driven your Daytona for a while before you picked it up. I think the Daytonas get even more attention than the birds. I wish I could afford to buy a real Daytona. I would want a non matching numbers 4 speed.

Charles Addams

A383Wing

I drove a 37 Caddy the other day....old school indeed

Bryan

Charger-Bodie

Yep. Love them or hate them ,noone misses them when they drive by. Most people watch my car coming and going. Its pretty cool to see.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

boss429kiwi

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on April 28, 2012, 06:34:21 PM
Yep. Love them or hate them ,noone misses them when they drive by. Most people watch my car coming and going. Its pretty cool to see.

Yes, seeing the look on peoples faces in priceless and they are usually mouthing "WTF!)

HPP

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 27, 2012, 10:00:43 PM
Compared to the new car, the bird drives like a Sherman tank.

Sounds like a prime candidate for the XV Level 1 kit. Utilizing an all stock mounting systems with some high end shocks that will better match spring and shock rates to your combination that will significantly improve the ride and handling of your Bird.

If you don't want to spend the $2250 of that kit, then stepping up to Bilstein shocks and an alignment with maximum caster, -.5 degree camber and 1/16" toe in will mae a big difference in road feel.

hotrod98

Thanks, I'll look into the alignment thing. I don't want to start making big changes to the car since it is a real bird.  I think the air grabber hood and no vinyl top are about as far as I want to go.

Charles Addams

HPP

That's the nice thing about the XV Level 1 kit, it bolts into the stock locations and aside from the aluminum body shocks, looks like stock components, albeit a bit beefier.

I suppose I should ask if you have manual steering and bias ply tires. IF you have both or either, than you probably should stick with the stock alignment specs. If you have radials or power steering, a significant amount of road feel can be added with the alignment specs I gave you.

Also, shocks are the core of a suspension system, much like a camshaft is to an engine. If you want to change the operating characteristics of the suspension, change the shocks. Even if you don't update the t-bars and leaf springs, shock technology has advanced significantly in the past several decades and can make a big difference in feel.

hotrod98

I suppose the air shocks on the back aren't exactly conducive to a nice ride...

Charles Addams

Hemi Runner

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 30, 2012, 11:55:28 AM
I suppose the air shocks on the back aren't exactly conducive to a nice ride...

Air shocks belong in........... 1983...... the first thing I did is peel them off and chuck 'em in the trash. Call Hotchkis Suspension and get some Bilsteins.