News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cheap Clear or NO?

Started by hemi-hampton, April 29, 2012, 02:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

Anybody wanting to cut corners & use cheap clear I'd advise not to. I used cheap clear on my Ram truck (shopline if i remember right) because I was just going to sell as fast as possible so a quicky job. I had so much money into this truck never could sell so decided to just drive it myself. 6 years later clear totally flaking off & total garbage. Looked good for first 2 years & then went downhill. I rarely ever use cheap products & now you know why. Get what you pay for. LEON.

1BAD68

Thanks for posting this.
I've been shopping for clear lately and this just confirmed what I was thinking.

Silver R/T

You don't store truck in garage do you? A lot depends on how soon you cleared after you shot base, how hot/cold it gets where you live, do you wax your truck, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

Countless vehicles are repaired & refinished in body shops every day. Of those, how many of them do you think are kept in garages? Or more so, waxed by the "general public"? I might be going out on a limb here by saying that most "regular" car owners (i.e. non-auto enthusiasts), do not wax their car regularly.

Looks like product failure to me. Clear delamination.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

elitecustombody

Quote from: bill440rt on April 30, 2012, 06:59:44 AM
Countless vehicles are repaired & refinished in body shops every day. Of those, how many of them do you think are kept in garages? Or more so, waxed by the "general public"? I might be going out on a limb here by saying that most "regular" car owners (i.e. non-auto enthusiasts), do not wax their car regularly.

Looks like product failure to me. Clear delamination.  :yesnod:

:yesnod:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

tan top

oh blimey thats a bummer  :icon_smile_blackeye:

seen a similar thing a  few times , !!  as this but , its been
where  solvent  base coat has been left too long before  being cleared  ,  :shruggy:

also have seen a few  cheap clear coats  years ago , that have got very brittle , i'm not making a good job of explaining  ,  but almost like a egg shell , get a stone chip in it , & once its chipped starts flaking back ,  hit it with a DA & it  feathers back like some one has   lacquered over shiny paint :shruggy: can even blow it off with  compressed air
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jaak

Quote from: bill440rt on April 30, 2012, 06:59:44 AM

Looks like product failure to me. Clear delamination. 

:yesnod:, I am a 'car guy' but my daily drivers are just that....daily drivers, maybe get washed once or twice a year, waxed....never.

Jason

hemi-hampton

Here's what it looked like after first painting it. did not wait to long to clear.  Just cheap clear. LEON.

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

69 OUR/TEA

It's not like that has'nt happened with factory paint jobs either,the big three had numerous issues with delamanation of the clear coat,late 80's early 90's.

superbirdtom

they were called peelers. and boy  i had to prepaint loads of them.  the problem was uv attacked the primer and turned it to dust.  Its hard to say what caused the ram truck delamination.  the sun is paints enemy.  I have used ppg 2001 bake clear then 2021 for years its been lately that ive been trying cheaper clears.   I have seen NAPA clears delaminate up here in Alaska where you could razor blade or tear off in sheets.   Its usually because the basecoat is moving around and the clear dries too hard.
          Ive used Mipa  for about a month now  and it seems like pretty good clear.   Ive had one comeback in 20 years  .  I hope to be the hell outta this god forsaken business  soon.  so I will use what the boss wants  till then.

hemi-hampton

I used cheap Omni now know as Shopline (for both base & clear) PPG's entry into the low budget priced paint to compete with the cheaper competition. These cheaper clears contain little or no UV additives or protection. This is why they are cheaper & why they breakdown to sun exposure. I seen a car I painted 20 years ago at a car show last weekend (71 Challenger convertible code #EL5 Butterscoth) After 20 years paint still looked good. I've seen a few of my old painjobs still looking good 10-20 years later. Quality paint & prep & care makes the differance. LEON.

SG1022

Anymore details on that hood?  ;)

superbirdtom

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 04, 2012, 11:23:45 PM
I used cheap Omni now know as Shopline (for both base & clear) PPG's entry into the low budget priced paint to compete with the cheaper competition. These cheaper clears contain little or no UV additives or protection. This is why they are cheaper & why they breakdown to sun exposure. I seen a car I painted 20 years ago at a car show last weekend (71 Challenger convertible code #EL5 Butterscoth) After 20 years paint still looked good. I've seen a few of my old painjobs still looking good 10-20 years later. Quality paint & prep & care makes the differance. LEON.

I also have seen some of my cars through the years one is a 69 chevele 396 turquoise with a rare roller tach . it took 1st place for best body and paint out oF 150 chevelles on super chevy sunday at The kingdome in seattle over 20 years ago   and was shot with ppg speed clear ( complete junk ) they only made it for a couple years.  but the car still looks good.  I painted a cessna 185 on floats 29 years ago with  napa NITRAM polyurethane  and it is still holding out in these harsh elements.    delamination only  a very short while later is a basecoat not curing right or something.    Its a delamination problem.   Id have a ppg chemist look at it and analyze it, thats the only  way to get to the bottom of it.   They will give  you a whole set of new materials  if you used PPG all the way.

hemi-hampton

Usually it starts off as small bubbles before the flaking escalates. LEON.

Kern Dog

I paid $89 to have my car painted at Earl Scheib and in 10 years, it was totally faded out. I want my money back!
Get OVER yourself, man! You stated in your own words that it is a cheap product. Are you seriously surprised that it only lasted a few years? R E A L L Y ???? I can see a guy posting that he is disappointed with a product, but to complain that a CHEAP product didn't match the quality of a higher priced competitor is just silly. Do you complain that the McRib doesn't taste as good as a plate of Tony Roma's? Do you complain about your kids after buying your condoms from the dollar store?

1BAD68

I don't think he was complaining like that, I think he's just confirming (through picture example) that you get what you pay for.

elitecustombody

Somebody got out of bed on wrong side this morning  :lol:

Stefan

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Kern Dog

I was just having fun. The bed is fine. I am fine. Thanks for the concern.

superbirdtom

Hey  I worked at earl scheib  and car coa  in the L.a. area. earls  picture was on the can. and it was nason synthetic.  and you only got a gallon weather it covered or not. thy used newspapers for masking.-- car coa  was a chain where i painted 8 cars a day.  the synthetic enamel comes out like glass  thats why the cheapo places use it.    but can burn off in 2 years .  some old duffer had his car painted once every two years .  But at 130 dollars.  wth   .   and for a complete color change jambs and all 160 dollars.   
Its  funny we did mostly  car lot cars   we painted caddillacs and porsches   etc  for the used car dealers.   Their was no mixing bank   so if I had to match a cars color it was by mixing  paints togeher.  thats where i got good at matching colors  from scratch.this was back in 1982 83  .  we sprayed the booth walls down with this sticky honey like stuff  and the synthol would build up on the floors and had to be scraped once every two weeks,  god  what a torture it was to look out and see 6 more cars masked off for completes.   after painting I took off wheel maskers and drove through a set of doors into the bake booth and drove the next one in. a thankles job  for$ 7.50 an hour.   Thats when I split and started my aircraft paint shop at burbank airport.  that was even a worse torture for next 5 years.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 07, 2012, 03:29:04 PM
I paid $89 to have my car painted at Earl Scheib and in 10 years, it was totally faded out. I want my money back!
Get OVER yourself, man! You stated in your own words that it is a cheap product. Are you seriously surprised that it only lasted a few years? R E A L L Y ???? I can see a guy posting that he is disappointed with a product, but to complain that a CHEAP product didn't match the quality of a higher priced competitor is just silly. Do you complain that the McRib doesn't taste as good as a plate of Tony Roma's? Do you complain about your kids after buying your condoms from the dollar store?

I'm not complaining at all, you got the wrong message or impression. It's the opposite really. What I really want to say or trying to say is I see people posting in here constantly about running to the local store buying cheap products or buying whats cheapest on the Internet. I only use PPG, DUPONT or BASF. I dont use cheapo kirker, matrix, limco, nason or any other no name products. I only used cheap stuff on this to flip it fast. If I was keeping it I'd use better PPG DBC with 4000 clear. My point is I was the Guinea pig here to show others who want to buy cheap garbage what to expect. I've been painting for over 25+ years from Maaco 8 cars a day to $100,000 showcars & All cars shows for Chrysler Worldwide ect. I allready know what to expect from using cheap paint. Others in here do not. I'm showing them. Whats your problem :brickwall: LEON.

P.S. Originally I started this post because in another post someone advised someone to use cheap clear & shopline. Instead of commenting on that thread I started a new thread advising not to use Cheap clear or cheap shopline as advised. Just showing my bad results as a learning tool for others, not complaining.

Silver R/T

Thank you for info, this will help out someone who wants a "cheap" paint.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

elitecustombody

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 08, 2012, 08:47:29 PM
Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 07, 2012, 03:29:04 PM

I'm not complaining at all, you got the wrong message or impression. It's the opposite really. What I really want to say or trying to say is I see people posting in here constantly about running to the local store buying cheap products or buying whats cheapest on the Internet. I only use PPG, DUPONT or BASF. I dont use cheapo kirker, matrix, limco, nason or any other no name products. I only used cheap stuff on this to flip it fast. If I was keeping it I'd use better PPG DBC with 4000 clear. My point is I was the Guinea pig here to show others who want to buy cheap garbage what to expect. I've been painting for over 25+ years from Maaco 8 cars a day to $100,000 showcars & All cars shows for Chrysler Worldwide ect. I allready know what to expect from using cheap paint. Others in here do not. I'm showing them. Whats your problem :brickwall: LEON.

P.S. Originally I started this post because in another post someone advised someone to use cheap clear & shopline. Instead of commenting on that thread I started a new thread advising not to use Cheap clear or cheap shopline as advised. Just showing my bad results as a learning tool for others, not complaining.

If you haven't tried it, don't knock it :slap: It's not cheap. I've been using AG40 Matrix clear for well over 10 years on $20k paint jobs and $2k jobs.I guarantee my paint for life,so if I had no faith in this product,do you think I would offer this warranty?

All of these cars were done in Matrix

[/img]

I'm doing a colorchange on a brand new SRT8 Jeep right now with Matrix

Stefan