News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What temp. thermostat?

Started by 66FBCharger, May 02, 2012, 07:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I have basically a stock '69 440.
What temperature thermostat do you run? I have a 160* in it now. I believe the FSM recommends around a 190*. Does running a lower temp thermostat affect how the car will run? I am thinking if the engine is cooler the fuel might not burn as efficiently. I know on the newer fuel injected computer controlled cars, it will set a code if the water temp is too low.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Chryco Psycho

I use 180* , not as hot as the 195 & the 160 is too cool

66FBCharger

Great. What kind of issues will running the 160 cause?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Chryco Psycho

possibly more fuel use , more wear to the block etc

FLG

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 02, 2012, 09:50:02 PM
possibly more fuel use , more wear to the block etc

Yep, not to mention crappy heat.

I think there was some study that said theres twice as much engine wear at 160 than there is at 180-90

Oil needs to get hot to burn off excess moisture and junk.

Dino

Interesting.

How can I find out which one I have?  Take it out and look for the numbers on it?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

FLG

Yep, should have temp numbers on it.

Dino

Quote from: FLG on May 03, 2012, 02:45:12 PM
Yep, should have temp numbers on it.

One more job for the (growing) list.  Maybe I should try to do all this work at once and spruce up the engine bay...

Thanks!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 02, 2012, 07:42:25 AM
I use 180* , not as hot as the 195 & the 160 is too cool

Me too  :2thumbs:

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

I was told not to especially with alloy heads due to the heat dissipation properties of the heads. It might not burn the fuel properly and run too rich, possibly wash the oil from the cylinder walls, excess carbon build up and eat the cylinder walls. At least that's what Don at FBO told me. Don suggested the 195*. Although I like to run all my cars around 180* Don said 230* is fine  :-\

ChargerST

I run a 180 thermostat but since I run an electric it really doesn't matter because I have an adjustable temperature switch. I can run it at 180, 181, 182, 183... I set it at 190 at the moment and the fan holds the temperatur.

billschroeder5842

I run a 160 as it is SUPER HOT here in the Lone Star State and the temps always seem to run about 10-15 degrees hotter than the packaging says. I have A/C so cooler is better.

However, I have limited heat in the winter.

As Boston says..."cool the engines!"
Texas Proud!

Just 6T9 CHGR

I've been running a Robert Shaw high flow 160ยบ for 10+ years with no issues....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

180* here. I forget what kind it was (Mr. Gasket, maybe?), but it was a hi-flow. Cars run cool with no overheating.
But this is in Jersey, in the super-hot southern states perhaps a 160* is the way to go?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

If the rest of the cooling system is up to par, then 180-195 Degree thermostat is just fine. If you install a 180 and an are getting into the 260 Degree range, it IS NOT THE THERMOSTAT...YOu have other problems. Agreed, 160 is TOO cold. Old skool thinking was to run these engines 160- degrees. They are FAR better performers at 190 Degrees.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Scaregrabber

I have always run a 195 and made sure the cooling system was controlling the temp properly. Thats where the engine will run at it's most efficient.

Sheldon

charger Downunder

[/quote]

A383Wing

Chryco Psycho

an engine will not necissarily run cooler with a 160 T stat , once the thermostat is open if the system cannot get the temp back down to 160* the T stat will not close

FLG

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 25, 2012, 08:33:29 AM
an engine will not necissarily run cooler with a 160 T stat , once the thermostat is open if the system cannot get the temp back down to 160* the T stat will not close

Exactly...and a constant wide open t-stat is not really a good thing as sometimes the flow should be slowed slightly to allow the coolant to actually absorb engine heat or sit in the rad a bit longer to be properly cooled.

billschroeder5842

Okay, Okay....I'll pop a 180 in (195 might be too much!) and see what happens.
I'm worried about heat soak and restarting (it would crank and crank and crank...) the engine after a run....I used to have an issue but when I dropped the cast iron intake for an aluminum and switched to a 160, I've had no issues.
Texas Proud!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on May 29, 2012, 02:02:22 PM
Okay, Okay....I'll pop a 180 in (195 might be too much!) and see what happens.
I'm worried about heat soak and restarting (it would crank and crank and crank...) the engine after a run....I used to have an issue but when I dropped the cast iron intake for an aluminum and switched to a 160, I've had no issues.

If it aint broke.....  :Twocents:

Thats why I aint touchin mine! ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

NYCMille

Run a 160 in both Charger and Daytona - never an issue. 50,000 miles on Charger / 20,000 on Daytona

Rolling_Thunder

I usually run a 160* thermo...    some people bring up the added engine wear...  which...   is scientifically proven to exist...   but with the average guy driving his muscle car more and more seldom I don't consider it a huge issue...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip