News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what to do now?

Started by GOTWING, May 04, 2012, 05:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOTWING

As some may remember im replacing my heater core that puked the green stuff all over my passenger floor in my Superbird with original factory carpet. :eek2: I peeled back the carpet to the bare floor and the carpet insulation or jute i think they call it is soaked with the green stuff.it's very wet and very heavy too! can i buy just the jute and seperate my oem carpet and clean it good and put back in? Should i just get new carpet and jute backing and call it a day? I just like the fact that my interior is all original and unrestored, and with the new carpet it's not all original anymore. :brickwall: What would you do? :shruggy:

hemi68charger

I'll do some searching... But, push comes to shove, wouldn't taking it out and flipping it upside down and power-washing it on low.... That should purge the antifreeze out, granted it'll take awhile to dry.......

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

I'd take the carpet out and wash it. You should be able to get jute if yours can't be saved.

Try to save all you can before replacing it.

GOTWING

i guess that is worth a try first, the funny thing is i just bought a new power washer 2 weeks ago!

I'm not so sure I'd power wash a 40+ year old carpet though, especially if it has gone brittle.

41husk

I would contact a good carpet cleaning company and get some suggestions.  I would try everything to save the original before installing a new rug :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

r4daytona

I did this when I had a jug of waste oil tip over in my trunk and the lid came off.  No, it was not my daytona, it was my everyday driver with fabric, but this worked. Wash off your driveway and lay the carpet down, use warm water and a good carpet cleaner mixed with some water but make it a little stronger. Get the rug (area) wet, then pour the cleaner on and use your hands, not a brush,to work it in and essentially scrub the rug with your hands. When it starts to get alot of suds, rinse those out and do it again. You can carfeully do this to the back I'd imagine. (I never washed Jute)  Anyway, work the soap in and then rinse the hell out of it.  Then, hang it on some kind of a clothes line or porch railing with the antifreeze area towards the bottom and rinse it from the top down on both sides.  Gravity and the water should help it run out.  Anyway, that worked for me.  Maybe it will help

CornDogsCharger

I don't see why you couldn't reuse the jute padding too. Give the carpet a REALLY good scrubbing with soapy water (preferably hot water) and use a detergent like Dawn. Besides, the carpet could have probably used a deep cleaning to get 40+ years of dirt out of it. When you think you've cleaned it enough, hang it up or drape it over a sawhorse or some like that and let it bake in the sun. It will be nice and clean then. But if you're still set on replacing the jute, any upholstery shop or supply store will have it on hand. Hope this helps.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

maxwellwedge

Original brown jute is irreplaceable. Do not toss it! The re-pop gray stuff that comes on new carpet is crap - doesn't sit properly in a lot of areas.. I have power steamed original carpet with no issues....just keep it far enough away and you will be fine.

1966hemi

I agree with the powerwashing but lightly so, and please remember your pets or neghbours' pets love to drink ehtylene glycol, but it will kill them very quickly! I had the very same thing happen to my 1968 Roadrunner, I got it clean again, but I was sure freaking out about the whole mess at first!