News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help! update and questions & pics

Started by Pistolpete, January 30, 2006, 09:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistolpete

Hey Guys,

The resto is moving along really well, the car has been completely stripped, blasted and is in a metal shop getting all the body work done. The paint shop is on notice an dwating for her so I'm imagining that she will be in the paint shop in 2-3 weeks.
Having trouble picking a colour and have a few questions I could use a hand with.

1) What colours were available for a 69 RT, If I don't go with the original (T3) (or custom) I may go with one that was available at the time.

2) new trunk pan is going in today, does anyone know which drain holes were cut out from the factory, it seems that there are several options?

3)I am planning on painting the entire car one colour (interior, exterior & underside) is this "correct"? are there any components on the interior that should remain a seperate colour from the exterior for esthetic reasons? (ie - dash, doorpanels?)

4) The frame of the car is covered with the same stuff (rust prevention? sound deadener?)) that is used on the interior of the rear quarters and wheel weels  I am going to be removing this from the frame ove the next couple of days and am wondering if this was factory installed in the other locations?

5) I am getting differing advice as far as painting the underside of the car. How did they come from the factory? The paint shop says that If I am planning on driving the car "semi-regularly" he recommends black undercoating, if its going to be a "show" car then match the body colour? any opinions?

6) How can I tell from the buildsheet what colour the dash was originally (I'm pretty sure it was also T3 just from looking)

I wasn't planning on building a trailer queen, I really wan to have some fun with this car, opinions please!!

for those of you that don't know me, I'm rebuilding a 69 R/T 440 (now 6 pack) factory 4 speed w/ A33 option orignial colour was T3.

Thanks
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

67_Dodge_Charger

I would go with the undercoating simply because you want to use it as a driver.  Also I would go with the original color imo.  I always like the original stock color over picking a popular color available at that time.   :Twocents:

good luck

-Robert

Pistolpete

Ok guys how about just helping me with what colours were available for a 69 R/T? or maybe where I can find that info?

thanks?
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Pistolpete on January 31, 2006, 08:39:21 AM
Ok guys how about just helping me with what colours were available for a 69 R/T? or maybe where I can find that info?

thanks?

Where else?

www.1969chargerregistry.com   

I'm sure you registered already correct? :)

Thats where you'll find the answer to question #1

Cant help much on #2

for #3 yes you can paint the entire car one color but depending on the interior color, you would need to paint the dash frame the correct correcponding color as well as the inside of the doors where the metal shows (IE. the area below the door panel)

For #4 If the car was factory undercoated, there is a "pattern" of sorts on where the undercoating was applied in the wheel wells.   Generally this was the only location where undercoating was used.  In the trunk on the inner rear quarters all cars got this treatment in a "pattern' as well.  Try and reproduce this pattern when restoring the car.  It seperates the men from the boys at shows ;)

For #5, the underbody originally was just primered and had a light dusting of body color that basically got up to the middle of the floor pans on both sides.   I would do this to a completely #'s matching & highly desireable car only that is being restored to reap as much money back when it will be sold at auction. If it were my car and I was doing a "rotisserie resto", I would make the bottom shine as bright as the top.  You can still do this to a driver but thats just one more area to clean on the car.   Sadly my car is undercoated/painted black on the bottom.  Eventually when I get the ball$$ to take the car apart again, I'll go the overrestored route and be able to eat off the bottom of the car.

For #6 if your car was coded C6T for tan seats and T3 for tan upper door panel color, yes your dash will be painted T3 to match.

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Pistolpete

Thank you very much, you're always a wealth of knowledge!! :bow:

would you just use regualr undercoating spray to re-create the effect?
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Troy

Here's a previous discussion on undercoating:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

I'm not sure which part you mean by "front frame" but the wheelwells, splash shields, outer part of the inner fenders, and underside of the fenders were undercoated. Yes, you can just use 3M undercoating and a schutz gun to make it look original. Mine has lasted 37 years... :D

I don't have any trunk pictures handy but can get some maybe tomorrow. As Chris said, the underside was painted body color but not completely. If you undercoat the car no one will be able to tell. :P Doors were usually painted in a pattern to match your interior. I suppose that if the interior and exterior are the same color then it won't be an issue.

If you have an factory 4-speed R/T then keeping it the original color will be a bonus. It's your car though and if you don't like it then change it now before it's too late. I don't think I could own a tan or green car and I'm wondering if I could even handle bronze. That's just me. These things cost too much money to second guess yourself all the time. Anyone agree? :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Pistolpete

I couldn't agree more, T3 light metallic bronze is just plain light brown to me and IMHO not a worthy muscle car colour. I'm kinda leaning toward a metallic copper orange custom colour (looks better than it sounds) w/ black RT stripe (originally white stripe). I really like the Hemi orange also but think its been overdone, just can't seem to decide! The guys helping me bring her back are split - one is dead nuts set on putting the original colour back while another is nuts about plum crazy.

decisions decisions

opinions welcome
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Shakey

I am all for bringing the car back to the factory specs, with the exception of the undercoting.  I plan on driving my car on nice days in the summer only.  If I get caught in the rain I will wash its underside when I get home.

Did you ever share the story about your car Pete?  Did I miss it?

Pistolpete

Hey Shakey,

actually no I haven't, completely forgot I said I would do that. I'll have to do that in the next couple of days - the plot actually thickened since I first got her home! I'll pm you when I have a chance to sit down and post it  - gonna be a long one! I actually found some evidence that strengthens the "moonshine runner" story I heard about.

stay tuned!!
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

Shakey

Quote from: Pistolpete on February 02, 2006, 07:11:29 AM
Hey Shakey,

actually no I haven't, completely forgot I said I would do that. I'll have to do that in the next couple of days - the plot actually thickened since I first got her home! I'll pm you when I have a chance to sit down and post it  - gonna be a long one! I actually found some evidence that strengthens the "moonshine runner" story I heard about.

stay tuned!!

Stories like this, if they can be verified, can bring the value of a car up.  That is why I vote for keeping it the same as the day she rolled off the assembly line.

Did you hear about the '67 GTX hemi that was the bank robbers car at the BJ auction?  It went for $150K where as another '67 GTX hemi went for almost half.  Seems someone wanted the car with a unique history.

Again, your choice.

I actually looked up your original posts with the pics of your car.  I think that colour is great!

Lookin' forward to the story.