News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plum Crazy, is there a difference?

Started by TruckDriver, January 30, 2006, 12:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

Is there a difference in the tone between '70 & '71? Cause, when you look at different pictures between the 2 years, the color always looks different. Sometimes lighter, sometimes darker.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

71charger_fan

You can't go by photographs. On the moparmuscle69.com website my car looks purple in one picture and blue in another. Same car, same paint, same camera, different lighting.

Beer

I feel your pain Guy!
Some look more silverish, some are a tad darker. The first restore guy told me that was one of the more difficult paints to get right.
As I am approaching paint on my 73 I may be leaning more towards the prowler purple (I want darker than the plum crazy, but not to obscure a set or 73 Black rally stripes).

Beer
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

bill440rt

I don't think was differences between years. FC& Plum Crazy aka In Violet has the same paint code for both years. What is different is the paint manufacturers mix formula.
When I was doing my Charger, every Plum Crazy car I saw at the shows was a different shade. I went out & bought pint cans of almost every paint manufacturer I could find: PPG, DuPont, RM, Sikkens, Spies Hecker, etc. I even purchased different types of paint: single stage enamel, base/clear, etc. EVERY test panel was a different color!! EVERY ONE!
These cars were painted with Ditzler single stage enamel from the factory. Ditzler is now known as PPG. As expected, the PPG mix was hands down THE correct shade. I ended up doing the car with a base/clear. The judges raved about the paint in the OE Certified at the Nats, so I know it's correct.
Good Luck!
Bill
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Beer

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bill440rt

Thanks, guys!
It does look a little lighter in that pic than in person, might have been the reflection of the sun or something. The PPG mix has a blueish hue to it and strong violet, depending on the sun. The metallic flake is rather fine.
The DuPont mix had a very coarse metallic to it, and lacked that blueish hue. That's what makes this color really stand out. The PPG mix "pops" back at you.
Good Luck with whatever color you choose!
Bill
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

plum500

Nice. Going to paint this year, and this has been a great help for me. Colour on mine is too dark, and when you look at the original in hidden spots, there's a huge difference. Also, had a couple rattle cans mixed for temporary cover up last year to hold me over, and it didn't go so well, the rattle can stuff I believe was much closer to being correct (and I believe it was PPG).

Drop Top

Acording to my paint chip book. The numbers are the same from one year to the next. Food for thought. PPG origanly mixed the color for Mopar. If you want the right factory color, stick with PPG.