News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Started my new Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Replica

Started by 404NOTFOUND, May 21, 2012, 08:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

im surprised that so much damage was done hitting a crush can. those things are made to collapse to take the blow, but it really collapsed that front end of the charger also. it must be because it took the blow on the side of the suv instead of head on? :shruggy:  i see where her tire kinda drug sideways.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

XS29L9B2

oh my god tahi is very hard good luck for you and your car  :-\
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

F8-4life

Sorry for your loss... you should let the car rot in your yard to remind you of how fragile life is... and have some kick-ass yard art.

RallyeMike

Your attitude is amazing, however when her insurance company starts to screw you, it will change rapidly.

Glad you are not hurt, becasue with only lap belts a face full of sterring wheel is no fun.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: nvrbdn on May 21, 2012, 12:21:24 PM
im surprised that so much damage was done hitting a crush can. those things are made to collapse to take the blow, but it really collapsed that front end of the charger also. it must be because it took the blow on the side of the suv instead of head on? :shruggy:  i see where her tire kinda drug sideways.

Here is a pic of the other car. As you can see, I hit the most solid part of it and the damage is heavy also. My Charger still seems perfect from the doors back although the fenders are hooked over the door edges a bit. I couldn't open either door and had to do a dukes of hazzard move to climb out. I noticed I am becoming a little bitter about it. At first your just glad to be in one piece but then it sets in that every day will be boring and yes, you do wonder what the insurance will say. I will be sure to announce the results. Thank you all for the concern.

My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

68 CHARGER R/T

SnoPro440

Glad you're ok.  Almost had a similar thing happen to me last weekend.  It amazes me how stupid some drivers are.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

Just 6T9 CHGR

I would have stayed in the car & laid there like a slug in the seat....bet she was on the cell phone too :rotz:

Sorry to see the car the way it is now.  Glad to hear you are ok as well...

Your car was one of my inspirations to go back to my original R6....one day
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

billschroeder5842

Sorry. Is the frame bent? PLEASE rebuild if possible!
Texas Proud!

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on May 21, 2012, 06:19:25 PM
Sorry. Is the frame bent? PLEASE rebuild if possible!

I don't know if the frame is bent yet. I don't think it is. The K member is bashed in pretty good. The inner fender is badly damaged. One hood hinge is ripped right off and the cowl is bent too. The original windshield lives on. I think they will write it off, especially when they see the grade of shop it's going to.

model maker

You should have had the police check her cell phone for activity AT THE TIME OF THE CRASH ! she may have been texting and if so should lose her license  for 6 months :icon_smile_angry: i think these idiotic measly fines for texting while driving are a joke and SOME of the people who do it also think the fines are laughable and no deterrant. I hope you get your car repaired because it is too hard to find another. get a police report and pictures.
MODEL MAKER

model maker

IF she was pulling out of a parking lot then SHE IS AT FAULT PERIOD, YOU HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY !!! Did the cops say anything about your charger ???
MODEL MAKER

nvrbdn

glad your ok, hope the charger is repairable. such a beautiful car needs to live. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

404NOTFOUND

She was found totally at fault. I think she looked left once and then spent the rest of the time looking right only. She was an older lady. Not likely texting. It is a tough highway to cross. The cops were admiring the car. They really liked it. Only one lane partway on the shoulder was open for traffic to get by. One guy in a passing car asked me twice if I wanted to sell it. Do they ever stop?

charger_fan_4ever

Not sure who you are insured with, but i assume it must be insured for north of 40k being an R/T and supper shape. I'd think they would fix it if the frame rails are ok. New AMD front clip,inners,firewall,bumper, grill, supports ect. We will say $5-6k in parts. I'd think $15k parts and labor would easily get it back on the road.

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 21, 2012, 08:02:39 PM
Not sure who you are insured with, but i assume it must be insured for north of 40k being an R/T and supper shape. I'd think they would fix it if the frame rails are ok. New AMD front clip,inners,firewall,bumper, grill, supports ect. We will say $5-6k in parts. I'd think $15k parts and labor would easily get it back on the road.

It's an R/T clone although probably one of the finest on the planet. Insured for $35,000 guaranteed payout if written off. I know you can get all new outer panels but, do they make replacement grilles? What about inner fenders and cowls? Being a clone, originality doesn't really matter. Top quality work does matter because it was a top quality car.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 21, 2012, 08:11:50 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 21, 2012, 08:02:39 PM

It's an R/T clone although probably one of the finest on the planet. Insured for $35,000 guaranteed payout if written off. I know you can get all new outer panels but, do they make replacement grilles? What about inner fenders and cowls? Being a clone, originality doesn't really matter. Top quality work does matter because it was a top quality car.

AMD does not make a grill, but i thought there was somebody repoping the 69 grill. AMD does make inner fenders,upper and lower cowl,firewall, frame rails. The only thing i can think off they don't repop for the 68-70's is the door hinge pillar and inner 1/4 and roof structures. They even make door jambs.

I'm wondering what happens if say the frame rails are bent and they want to fix it,but you don't ?

Brass

I'm cautiously optimistic its repairable.  I would go with the "assumptive sale" and approach the insurance company as if there's no question they're going to fix it.  (If the rails are okay.) But it's not your insurance company you'll have to fight with, its hers – and they may try to lowball you and total it.  Be prepared for a fight, and know what it would cost to replace that car because that's how much they need to pay out one way or the other.  With Ebay, it's a nationwide market now too – go find some high dollar examples you can point to.

So very sorry!  Let us know how this develops.

surmanajaja

sorry for your loss.

I think it could be fixed, but it wont be cheap. hope the insurance works out. otherwise, I would probably make that into a prostreet style car, cut everything up front and make some serious suspension and engine there...

404NOTFOUND

Here in Ontario, we have "no fault insurance" which I think means my insurance pays and that's it. My classic car insurance company is supposed to provide guaranteed full value payout based on my current appraisal. At this point, I don't know if it's a write off and I don't know whether I'd be happier with the money or fixing the car. I have tried to think of another car I'd like more but I can't because this one was so perfect for me. It would have been easier to decide a few weeks ago but as I mentioned earlier, I finally got it running perfect.

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

bobs66440

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 22, 2012, 05:57:19 AM
Here in Ontario, we have "no fault insurance" which I think means my insurance pays and that's it. My classic car insurance company is supposed to provide guaranteed full value payout based on my current appraisal. At this point, I don't know if it's a write off and I don't know whether I'd be happier with the money or fixing the car. I have tried to think of another car I'd like more but I can't because this one was so perfect for me. It would have been easier to decide a few weeks ago but as I mentioned earlier, I finally got it running perfect.
Very glad you are ok. In the end, it's only a car. It is a beautiful car, but I think I would want it to be totalled, especially if there isn't an exceptional shop in your area. If the damage is that extensive, it will take a lot of skill to get it back to where it was, and the likelihood of it ever being the same is slim. There is so much potential for headaches if you don't get just the right shop to repair it. You may end up with a impossibly flawed car that you hate that has a damage history that makes it difficult to sell.

Someone will buy it and put it back on the road. I just don't think I would want to be the one. I would take the cash and look for a nice solid car that I can get in and enjoy and move on with my life.  :Twocents:

Dino

The damage always looks far worse than it is.  If you unbolt all the broken mess it will look a whole lot better.  The frame can be straightened but it may be easier to just get another front clip.  That call should be made when the front end is frame and cage only.  Once that frame is done all the new parts will bolt back on.  I've done hundreds of collisions like that and it's really no big deal to repair.  Tons of new parts needed yes but that's what insurance is for.  That car is not bad enough to let go, at all.  Just my  :Twocents:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

404NOTFOUND

I don't think there is any frame damage. It looks very repairable to me now that I know you can buy inner fenders and cowls. I was leaning towards hoping they write it off but now, I'm starting to hope they save it. I want to see if there is an opportunity to do a colour change. You will notice I gave this thread a DMCL title because the damage looks so much like the car in that movie. Fact is, I think I would like to paint it citron yella and make it into a DMCL replica as that is my favourite movie of all time. I bet many here would say leave it red as it is such a beauty but let's face it, the car is a non matching clone that has now taken a big hit. Perfect candidate for a movie tribute car. My favourite colour is hemi orange but, I get enough DOH comments as it is. All opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Rolling_Thunder

Well the car is repairable...      they make almost every panel for these things now-a-days...    The hardest thing to find will be the grille...   but even those are not impossible to find. 

Your attitude is great - just consider it a life lesson and continue on - life is too short to spend it pissed off
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip