News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Goodmark Quarter Skins

Started by BlueSS454, January 30, 2006, 11:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

Have any of you guys welded on some new quarters, if so, any pictures?  I just received the new quarters for my 69 and I want to see how some of you installed them.  I am debating cutting them below the upper body line of using the 3 inch fold over on to the top.
Tom Rightler

Mike DC

I'd go ahead & preserve the original bodyline on top (keep the factory panel until the quarter skin goes from horizonal to vertical.)  Just because the repro is stamped up to a certain seam, that doesn't mean you have to use it there.  I'd cut no more of the original quarters off than I need to.  Every inch of the original quarters is better-grade steel that fits right.

bill440rt

Do not go over the top body line. The repros just don't match up top. Also, they are "flatter" by the door jamb and don't follow the body at all.
I cut the rear fold, top fold, and front fold off the repro 1/4 panel. BE CAREFUL, 'cause once you do this you'll have a big floppy piece of metal on your hands. I ended up using panel bond adhesive on the lower areas, and welded up the back, across the top, and down again by the door. This was a series of spot welds that once completed, gave one continious weld. Time consuming, but that's how it's done.
I also flanged the top & front seams for strength. I used panel bond adhesive again on the inside of the trunk instead of seam sealer for added strength. It flows out real nice as it cures, so once the undercoating/sound deadening material is applied the seam should almost disappear.

BTW, this was my first 1/4 skin I ever put on. I used NOS ones on my last project (many years ago, they were "somewhat" affordable back then). I thought it went on fairly easily, but if you don't have much body experience it can be difficult. Measure twice, cut once!
Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce