News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your Job

Started by MoparMotel, January 30, 2006, 11:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

I graduate from high school next year and cannot figure out what I want to do. What does everyone on the board do for a living and are they happy with it? Wanted to get an idea of some good jobs. And yes, I am planning on going to college and getting my degree.....not sure in what yet though.
1968 Dodge Charger

Big Lebowski

I'm an out of work comedian in the twilight of a mediocre career. :D Well ok, I've built 3 houses and countless 2nd story remodels, and I spend the rest of the time restoring Chargers, and a Roadrunner, etc.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Silver R/T

It matters what youd like to do for rest of your life, something that youd like to get paid well for too. But you should be able to survive on side jobs. Pick something that would make you happy and is in demand. Dont be going in for school for 'beauty technician"
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Telvis

Sit down and think about what you truly like to do. Then think about all the things that make you miserable. Then think of the thngs you are good at. Be honest with yourself. Then go to school and choose a career path that allows you  to get better at what you already do well and allows you to do what you like. Stay away from career paths that make you do things you hate. I don't care how well it pays. If you don't like what you are doing you will be miserable. It's your life. Be happy and make lots of money!

I was a cop. I retired a little over a year ago. Now I am self employeed. I get to do a lot of interesting things and spend time with great people. I'm not getting rich but I'm pretty happy. I will be very happy when this Toyota contract is over.

MoparMotel

I was thinking of getting some type of Government job for the benefits, and then go realestate with my dad. My dad did realestate, and is really good at it. I was thinking we could start something like that on the side and have my main job with the Gov.
1968 Dodge Charger

Telvis

There are a ton og Gevernment jobs aout there. They usually pay fairly well and have good benefits. If you get the right job you can even retire early like me. I'm 40 I can still have a whole new career. Just make sure you get the education. Even if you think you don't need it. I promise it will make a difference in the long run.

73dodge

Quote from: Telvis on January 31, 2006, 12:32:35 AM
Sit down and think about what you truly like to do. Then think about all the things that make you miserable. Then think of the things you are good at. Be honest with yourself. Then go to school and choose a career path that allows you  to get better at what you already do well and allows you to do what you like. Stay away from career paths that make you do things you hate. I don't care how well it pays. If you don't like what you are doing you will be miserable. It's your life. Be happy and make lots of money!

I was a cop. I retired a little over a year ago. Now I am self employed. I get to do a lot of interesting things and spend time with great people. I'm not getting rich but I'm pretty happy. I will be very happy when this Toyota contract is over.

Good advice. Figure out what YOU like to do. What interests YOU even if it does not look like a career.

In other words figure out what you absolutely love to do and find a way to get people to pay you to do it.................

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: MoparMotel on January 31, 2006, 12:38:56 AM
I was thinking of getting some type of Government job for the benefits, and then go realestate with my dad. My dad did realestate, and is really good at it. I was thinking we could start something like that on the side and have my main job with the Gov.

Ahh yes nothing like a city job.  The pay might not be the greatest compared to the private sector but the health benifits & pension out weigh all that especially if you have a family.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Quote from: MoparMotel on January 30, 2006, 11:57:11 PM
I graduate from high school next year and cannot figure out what I want to do. What does everyone on the board do for a living and are they happy with it? Wanted to get an idea of some good jobs. And yes, I am planning on going to college and getting my degree.....not sure in what yet though.

Try your luck in research.

You can get some practice by looking up the two threads that have touched on this before!   :D

Orange_Crush

My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the assholes in charge and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room to jerk off while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble hell.

--Lester Burnham
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Brock Samson

one word:

Apptitude test...  ;D

41husk

Quote from: Orange_Crush on January 31, 2006, 11:22:12 AM
My job consists of basically masking my contempt for the assholes in charge and, at least once a day, retiring to the men's room to jerk off while I fantasize about a life that doesn't so closely resemble hell.

--Lester Burnham
That was a great movie.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

MyMopar

Ah city jobs are nice.  My wife landed a job for the town as a senior accountant.  She has more paid time off, better healthcare, guaranteed minimum yearly raises, pension and very good job security.

Me on the other hand, I work in a family business and I can tell you that working with family SUCKS!

Old Moparz

If you do find something you like to do & can get paid for it, another thing that's important would be to hopefully end up working with, and for, decent people. My last job was good as a land surveyor & draftsman for a civil engineering firm, but the person I worked for was a total A-hole. (Note the capital "A" in a-hole.) The plus side was that I was out of the office 90% of the time so I didn't have to deal with her. When the company was sold to an even bigger A-hole, working outside the office was irrelevant. It went from bad to worse, & people started to bail out & go elsewhere.

The place I'm at now is great. I'm doing estimating with a site construction company that's been around, & in the same family for over 80 years. The people I work for are great, & the coworkers also know a good thing & it reflects on all of them. It was less money than the last job when I took it, but it's made up for it in other ways. Heavy equipment & materials can be very handy at the house sometimes, & I feel I'm treated like a person & not something expendable & replacable. It gets a little boring & tedious at times, but the salary & benefits are just about the best you can find.

Besides, I'm 3.5 miles from home, have high speed cable on my computer in my office, & get to hang out here.  :nana:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RD

http://www.assessment.com/MAPPMembers/Welcome.asp?Accnum=06-5049-000.00

http://www.careercolleges.com/career-assessment-test.jsp

or go to a local employment agency or your school counselor and do some career aptitude testing to see where your interests lie.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

golden73

It's not always the best thing to pick something you love as a career. Although you shouldn't get a job that you hate either. I loved working on cars, so naturally I became a mechanic. Well that got old real quick. I got so burned out on working other peoples cars, I couldn't even work on my own car. I used to work on my charger as a way to relax, but I just couldn't do it anymore. I quit being a mechanic... but it still left me burned out on cars... so my car has sat for almost 2 years.

I had to find a new way to relax and get rid of my stress... still haven't found a good way to do that yet.

I'm currently doin crappy warehouse work, until April, when I will be joining the Marine Corps.

Good luck in your search dude... just thought I should weigh in and maybe have you look at things from a different angle...

TK73

I took an aptitude assessment about 15 years ago in college, the results indicated I would work well in an office setting processing paperwork, I work in an office setting processing paperwork for the State of Washington now... good job, decent pay, good benefits and job security.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Brock Samson

In my college aptitude test I scored highest in outdoor forestry and it said i should be a forest ranger.... HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA!!!!

I've been working in a office for 25 years now.  :pity:

Duey

Good point, Golden 73!

Take an aptitude test, bya ll means, but also don't limit yourself to that, because you can always challenge yourself with something that the test may not know is hiding inside you.  I joined the Air Force as a pilot and fly helicopters in support of the Army and other organizations...doing it for 21 years....love it!  I would have to find something else very exciting to replace what I do now an not go stir crazy.

Assess what you think you'd be good at but don't be afraid to take a chance...the only thing you would regret was not knowing "whether I would have liked to do that?" (whatever "that" might be...).

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Dodge-Charger

Sign up for the Military, serve your country and let them pay for you to go to Collage. NOT only will you have a edumacation ( LOL)  but when you go to get a job they will hire Ex Military before they will just some kid out of school.

Me, I am a welder/iron worker. I Love my job ! I do everything from handrails and car haulers to Wal-Marts and 18 story Buildings. If you have kids or are scared of heights do not go into Iron working  :scared: Every day on the job could be your last. ( but with the way people drive nowa days, I guess every job is like that.)

Chryco Psycho

well I started out as a Mechanic , never got signed up as an apprentice & wasted a lot of years , still enjoy doing it & still get paid poorly
then I became a locksmith the job is challenging & there is constantly stuff to learn lots of fun but the hours & pay SUCKS
worked as truck driver for a while , not bad , your boss connot look over your shoulder constantly but the hours & pays sucks & there is no challenge to it 

bull

What ever you do don't screw around and wait to go to school. If you're undecided just take some general-type classes and get the Bachalelor's degree out of the way asap. It pretty much does not matter which study it is in but I would make it something generalized like business or something of that nature. Most people don't know what they want to study at first but later, if/when you get your Master's, you'll have a better idea. And I would imagine a Master's degree is what you'll need these days.

derailed

Quote from: bull on February 01, 2006, 06:36:47 AM
What ever you do don't screw around and wait to go to school. If you're undecided just take some general-type classes and get the Bachalelor's degree out of the way asap. It pretty much does not matter which study it is in but I would make it something generalized like business or something of that nature. Most people don't know what they want to study at first but later, if/when you get your Master's, you'll have a better idea. And I would imagine a Master's degree is what you'll need these days.
:iagree:  Thw whole "im gonna take a year off" thing ends up getting alot of people into trouble and they never end up going back, or at least not for a long time. Get your bachelors out of the way, youll have to take those courses sooner or later.

TK73

Quote from: bull on February 01, 2006, 06:36:47 AM

Yep.  Psych is not a good BA to earn unless you love the whole "I'm helping people" sheet.  Took me nltil my Junior year to figure out what I wanted to major in.  Should have finished that damn Masters, that would have opeed up more doors...  :-\
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Drop Top

Get a "job" that you really enjoy. Then it wont seem like work. Thats what I do now. I play all day and get paid for it. It has its draw backs. But all in all the good out weights the bad.