News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The dealer that couldn't sell her Superbird!

Started by Robert96, May 29, 2012, 01:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert96

This goes back a way but it is true. There was a Chrysler Plymouth dealership on the far eastside of Cincinnati out in the country. It was owned by a woman and they had either a Tor Red or Hemi Orange Bird for sale forever. She couldn't give it away so she finally had to take out a loan and buy it because Chysler wanted their money. It was kept in the garage over the next 20 years or so but I never heard what it's final fate was. It had very low mileage and of course was like new. I saw the story on T/V but I can't remember alot of the details. Do any of you guys know anything of this car? I have always wondered what happened to it. Maybe she still has it. Or maybe the family has it. Sorry about the lack of details guys but this was a long time ago. I believe the window sticker was still on the car if that helps any.

Ghoste

Bob and Sharon Malcom.  Well known wing car collectors and enthusiasts today and they still have that Superbird as well as other wing cars.  She didn't own the dealership herself though, she did the books and I think maybe Bob ran the rest.

Troy

Yep, they're in Peebles. I believe they have 7 wing cars at the moment.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

charger_fan_4ever

Imagine ~$25,000 then = well over a million now.

Who would have know.

talkiemopar

I looked at a yellow bird at Kenwood Chrysler Plymouth on the east side of Cincinnati,but the price was to high[$3900.00]. Got mine at Cline Chrysler Plymouth in Newport KY- 6-pak,4 speed[$3600.00]. :drool5: Never heard about the one that Bob and Sharon had.  Rick.

1966hemi

WOW! 4 'birds and 3 'Tonas!! What a collection, so very nice to see this picture!

Indygenerallee

That's a badass picture! I would love to have a poster of it!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

all photos, including the group shot above, are from the malcom website.

http://www.bobmalcom.com/fun_stuff.htm

the plymouths
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

the dodges

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Robert96

You guys are great! I didn't know they were collectors. The story I saw made it sound like that was the only one they had. Maybe my memory is faulty. You know the seventies and all. Quick answers for sure from you guys. Do they ever let anyone stop to look at them. Cline Chysler Plymouth, now that' a blast from the past.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Ghoste

They show them frequently and are two of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.  I don't know if they invite people into the garage out of the blue but they are very approachable and easy to contact.  They always bring a couple to the larger shows so it would be easy to get to know them there.

TiMopar

What a fantastic collection and pictures, thanks for posting!

FJ5WING

Great collection for sure....There were issues getting the Greenie fired up to go home @ Carlisle last year.

I have one of the posters and its pretty cool.
wingless now, but still around.

gtx6970

None of them are cars they've owned since new.

The orange bird is one they sold new and bought it back several years ago (but thats just been in the last 5-10 years ) I don't remember a story saying it took forever to sell it originally though.

Robert96

There was a story, but I can't remember where I saw it or when. It was a long time ago.

Ghoste

I remember the same story.  In fact I recall reading it in more than one magazine that they couldn't sell it and that whatever the arrangement was on their dealer plan with Plymouth the time had come to pay the note and she went to the bank and borrowed the money in her own name to pay for the car.  Or something like that.

StoneCold

Robert96

Thanks Ghoste. I thought maybe I was having some kind of weird flashback or something. Thats exactly the story I remember.

Ghoste

ACUDANUT

I think you guys with 7 wing cars are jerks...Come on...can't I have just ONE. :brickwall:  :icon_smile_big:

stripedelete

Not being able to sell a wing car new stories are common and pretty much true.  I remember a dealer telling me about an acre of them at an auction, all new.  No bids. 
Many stories about the guy buying the wagon or sedan and the dealership trying to through in the two year old wing car under cost for the oldest kid.  Most dealers hated to see them roll off the truck.  Who knew?

Btw, the car on the lift looks to be sporting an Ohio dealer tag. 

held1823

Quote from: stripedelete on June 03, 2012, 03:35:41 PM
Btw, the car on the lift looks to be sporting an Ohio dealer tag.  

the current owners, own the dealership
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053