News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cover for spot where radio would normally be? Where to get?

Started by XH29N0G, May 31, 2012, 07:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

My charger was bought without a radio and in the 1980's, I removed the cover and put in a radio from another dodge.  I would like to remove thr radio and return it to the way it was when it was bought (no radio - just a cover over the spot where the radio would normally be). 

Does anyone make this part?  Or know where I might be able to get this part. 

The dash is a black, plastic dash for a bottom line charger with a bench seat. 

Thanks,

James
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

XH29N0G

1970.  Thanks this is exactly what I am looking for.

Or maybe it protects us. 

randy73

b5blue

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

MaximRecoil

$89 for a radio delete plate, i.e., a piece of plastic. That's hilariously overpriced, considering it probably cost them all of a few cents to make it in China. If someone would start making reproduction parts for classic cars at reasonable prices ($5 - $10 would be plenty for that piece of plastic, for example), they would make a killing.

I wanted a plate to mount a modern single-DIN radio in my car (my car is a beater; will never be even close to a "show car"), and the idea of paying $89 for a piece of plastic just makes me laugh (repro plastic no less; not even NOS). So I decided to have one made out of 1/8" thick 6061-T6 aluminum plate. It wouldn't match the plastic trim on the dash nor look original in any way, but it would make a nice solid mounting platform for a modern radio, and it is good enough for my orange clunker car. So I went out to my car with a tape measure, pencil, and paper, and drew it out. Then I drew it to the exact dimensions in a vector program and sent it to a guy to have it cut on a CNC waterjet, primed, and painted flat black. It fit perfectly, and the total cost was $40, which included shipping, the cost of the aluminum, the labor, paint ... everything. So if someone can have a custom one-off plate made in the USA from 1/8" 6061-T6 aluminum plate and shipped to his door for $40, then $89 for a mass-produced piece of injection molded plastic from [most likely] China is insane.

VegasCharger

Quote from: MaximRecoil on June 02, 2012, 04:08:27 PM
$89 for a radio delete plate, i.e., a piece of plastic. That's hilariously overpriced, considering it probably cost them all of a few cents to make it in China. If someone would start making reproduction parts for classic cars at reasonable prices ($5 - $10 would be plenty for that piece of plastic, for example), they would make a killing.

I wanted a plate to mount a modern single-DIN radio in my car (my car is a beater; will never be even close to a "show car"), and the idea of paying $89 for a piece of plastic just makes me laugh (repro plastic no less; not even NOS). So I decided to have one made out of 1/8" thick 6061-T6 aluminum plate. It wouldn't match the plastic trim on the dash nor look original in any way, but it would make a nice solid mounting platform for a modern radio, and it is good enough for my orange clunker car. So I went out to my car with a tape measure, pencil, and paper, and drew it out. Then I drew it to the exact dimensions in a vector program and sent it to a guy to have it cut on a CNC waterjet, primed, and painted flat black. It fit perfectly, and the total cost was $40, which included shipping, the cost of the aluminum, the labor, paint ... everything. So if someone can have a custom one-off plate made in the USA from 1/8" 6061-T6 aluminum plate and shipped to his door for $40, then $89 for a mass-produced piece of injection molded plastic from [most likely] China is insane.

Agreed, when I first seen that price for that piece I about fell over. At that rate you'd probably have $100k restoring a complete car doing everything in repop's. $89.00 for a bezel! Not for me I'll find a different solution like you did.

izzyinNorcal

Quote from: VegasCharger on July 20, 2012, 04:19:58 AM
Quote from: MaximRecoil on June 02, 2012, 04:08:27 PM

Agreed, when I first seen that price for that piece I about fell over. At that rate you'd probably have $100k restoring a complete car doing everything in repop's. $89.00 for a bezel! Not for me I'll find a different solution like you did.
If you think $89 for the radio delete is a rip-off, check out the $175 air grabber solenoid (102-R70) and $175 air grabber switch (102-s70) ! http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=b

Ghoste

I agree its a lot of money based on the cost of the plastic and the wages of the people involved with the making of it, BUT, the cost not seen are the tooling and development costs.  And as for making a killing on doing it cheaper, how many radio delete plates for a 69 Charger or Coronet do you really think they are going to sell?  I have no dog in this fight but it isnt as cheap as we might think to reproduce some of this stuff.

36 Dodge Brothers

I went to a Mopar car show a couple of months back and every 68-70 charger had sometype of aftermarket radio bezel (non-original look). I know that prices are outrages and parts probably made in China but for me I like to see cars with the original looking interior. 
Regards,
Marco
68 Charger R/T
36 Dodge D2