News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear wheels will not turn in Neutral!!

Started by sixpack_sid, June 02, 2012, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a 68 Dodge Charger that I just finished restoring! I was figuring out the gear ratio today and jacked both rear wheels off the ground. I put the car in Neutral and tried to turn the passenger side wheel by hand but it would not move. I then took out the lug wrench and tried spinning the tire, it wouldn't move. I was able to remove all of the lugnuts with the tire in the air and the car in Neutral! I then went to the driver side and tried spinning that tire. It moved about 1/4 turn and then stopped.
What could be wrong? I drove it last weekend and it seemed to be plaguing. I have a 440 engine in it and expected it to have good pick up. I think the problem is in the rear. Could it be seized up or the oil dried out? Would it help to siphon out the oil and put in new gear oil? If so, what kind do I put in it?
Please help!
Thanks!
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Fred

Just wondering...............did you leave the hand brake on?

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Fred on June 02, 2012, 08:44:09 PM

No, I double checked that. Thanks for the reply.
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Fred

Quote from: sixpack_sid on June 02, 2012, 08:45:52 PM

Maybe the brake shoes in the drum are jammed. Try loosening them with a mallet.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Fred on June 02, 2012, 08:47:07 PM
Quote from: sixpack_sid on June 02, 2012, 08:45:52 PM

Maybe the brake shoes in the drum are jammed. Try loosening them with a mallet.

I took the drums off, they came right off. I then tried to turn the hub by grabbing the lug studs. The wheel was still hard to turn.

Bobs69

Definitely worth asking.  Hey you never know!  In your excitement to drive you've looked over something silly?

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Bobs69 on June 02, 2012, 08:50:11 PM

Definitely worth asking.  Hey you never know!  In your excitement to drive you've looked over something silly?

I agree. Sometimes when you're looking at the big picture, you overlook the simple things. I appreciate the replies!

Bobs69

Hey are you sure it's in neutral?  I think there was another member on here who had restored a winged car and when he took it off of a car trailer at an exhuast shop (or whatever) it rolled away on him and he had big problems.  The car hit the building.  

Anyhow, maybe the linkages aren't set up right?  Did you have that apart?

I suppose even if it was in drive you'd probably be able to turn the wheels......................

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Bobs69 on June 02, 2012, 08:55:33 PM
Hey are you sure it's in neutral?  I think there was another member on here who had restored a winged car and when he took it off of a car trailer at an exhuast shop (or whatever) it rolled away on him and he had big problems.  The car hit the building.   

Anyhow, maybe the linkages aren't set up right?  Did you have that apart?

I did check that. The car is definitely in Neutral.

justcruisin

If you have the drums off and it wont turn, might pay to drop the drive shaft to isolate if the problem lies in the trans or diff.

Musicman

Open diff or Sure-Grip?
Do the wheels turn freely when rotating the drive shaft by hand?

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: justcruisin on June 02, 2012, 09:24:43 PM
If you have the drums off and it wont turn, might pay to drop the drive shaft to isolate if the problem lies in the trans or diff.
I agree , pull the drive shaft , at least off the diff & make sure the problem is in the diff not the trans

Fred

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 02, 2012, 10:46:16 PM
Quote from: justcruisin on June 02, 2012, 09:24:43 PM
I agree , pull the drive shaft , at least off the diff & make sure the problem is in the diff not the trans

Yeah I agree also, that would be the next step.

sixpack_sid

Ok, I will check out the drive shaft then and see if the problem is there. Thanks for the replies!

John_Kunkel

Did you try turning the tires in both directions? Trying to turn a tire in the backward direction will be harder than in the forward direction due to internal anomolies of the Torqueflite. Obviously, if it still does it with the driveshaft disconnected the trans isn't the problem.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 03, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

Did you try turning the tires in both directions? Trying to turn a tire in the backward direction will be harder than in the forward direction due to internal anomolies of the Torqueflite. Obviously, if it still does it with the driveshaft disconnected the trans isn't the problem.

The wheel will turn about 1/4 turn backwards. I pulled both tires off and pulled the drums off. I also disconnected the driveshaft. I turned the hub and the wheels move freely. I think the brake shoes are on backwards. Should the longer pad go towards the rear of the vehicle or the front? I have it setup now where the shorter pad is in the back. That would explain why the wheel will turn backwards but not forward-less resistance.
So the question is..which brake pad goes where??

Chryco Psycho

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 07, 2012, 10:17:29 AM
longer pad goes on the rear

That's what it was. I think when I took the old ones off I just matched them up the way the old ones were. It's funny how when you're looking at the big picture, you overlook the simple things! I switched the shoes and the wheels spin freely now!
Thanks again for the help!!  :cheers:
Sid

Chryco Psycho