News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who Uses A-Pillar Grab Handles On Dodge Trucks? (Warning!)

Started by Old Moparz, June 11, 2012, 03:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Simple question to see who wants to take a spill & land on your butt if you haven't do so already.   :lol:

It's the handle on every truck that's molded into the A-Pillar trim. I sometimes use it to get in & out of my '04 Ram, but today going back to work after lunch I felt the handle move when I grabbed it getting out. It didn't break off completely & I didn't fall, but I was surprised that it lasted as long as it did. The reason I say that, is because shockingly, the handle is not metal inside, it's plastic. Not only is it just plastic, but it's not solid plastic, it's only a crappy piece of thin, hollow trim.   :o

I popped off the plastic cap thinking that the bolt that holds the handle to the truck had loosened, but it hadn't. There is only a thin, plastic flange at the end of the tube inside for the bolt to grab onto holding it against the a-pillar. Are you kidding me? What fucktard designed this, the same one who created the fisher-price temperature knobs on toasters? I assumed that a part that involves safety like this, would at the least, require some minimum of structural integrity, but I guess not.  

Out of curiosity I googled the problem & discovered that it's very common on the Dodge trucks. Not only is it common, but I spotted a lawsuit that was filed after a 72 year old woman got hurt when she fell out of a Dodge when the handle broke off.   ::)

http://www.fergusonlaw.com/blog/ferguson-associates-takes-on-auto-giant-chrysler-in-dodge-pickup-product-defect-case/

I don't think a new handle is expensive, but why replace a broken POS with a brand new POS? That's like using the cardboard tubes inside a roll of toilet paper to build your own ladder with. I'm not going to make an issue out of this, but I figured I'd post how crappy this POS handle is so others don't land on the ass or crack open their heads.   :Twocents:

By the way, here's a cheap fix that someone did.....

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=73060

And here is a repair kit that someone else is selling.....

http://www.imcoproductsinc.com/page/dodgeramaccesories

I didn't take mine off yet, but here is a photo from one of the other sites of the handle.....
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Chryco Psycho

Mine has failed already , friggin overweight maid used it to pull herself in & ripped the panel right off , luckily I had a spare , saved the part figuring I could repair it

PA Dodger

Wow, when mine went about 2 years ago I just assumed it was a fluke. I never figured it was an epidemic enough to need it's own repair kit!
Dodge-Ram Tough! (disclaimer,the following items are not rated Ram Tough and are for decoration only.....) :-\
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Mike DC

It's crazy to cut corners on the grab handle of a fullsize pickup aimed at 21st-century middle America.  The cost/benefit ratio of that decision is absolutely ridiculous.  No wonder Mopar is in such trouble if they are making decisions like that. 

Kern Dog

I've had 3 of the 2nd gen Ram trucks. A 2002, a 2006 and my current 2007. I weigh 200 lbs. I dont use it to get into the truck. I use it to hold onto during spirited driving. No problems yet.....145,000 miles and climbing.

resq302

Another reason why I got away from Dodge when I started having all my issues with the 2005 Ram I had.  It seemed like they were beginning to be built very cheap so I changed brands while I still had the chance.  Its pretty bad when lil ol me who at the time weighed only 180 lbs creased my pass fender with my hand leaning on the fender to try and reach the center part of my hood giving my truck a wash.  Seems like their plastic is made just as well as the thickness of the sheet metal!  Hopefully FIAT will be able to resurect the Mopar brand and make it something close to what it had been!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ITSA426

No problems with my 05 Rumblebee.  No complaints about that, but I could see where it could be a problem.  I'll continue to be careful.  I'll wait for the recall.

bill440rt

So, SO glad I got rid of my '07. Yes, I do remember the outer sheetmetal being very thin as well.

After owning my current '11 for a year, the quality & comfort of it is SO much better. The grab handles are integral with the A-pillar trim & securely fastened. Haven't had a spill, yet!  :icon_smile_big:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Troy

For even more fun, call the dealer and see if they can rip you a new one because they're running low on inventory... :eyes:

There are so many "common" problems with those trucks that people just accept. At least the after market helps pick up the slack. Every time I complain about my big ol' POS Ram and/or Chrysler quality people pick on me for not supporting Mopar.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

resq302

Ah, I see now Troy!  I had it all wrong throughout these years.  I should be supporting Mopar to help keep up their shoddy work and manufacturing.  And here I thought that by not supporting them, it would give them incentive to build a better, stronger product!  Gosh, darn.  All those years of my life wasted.   :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Old Moparz

I'm going to try another type of repair I found online similar to the one in the link I posted above. This one uses PVC pipe around the recessed tube instead of a hose clamp.....

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/309283-diy-1-dollar-grab-handle-fix-reinforcement.html

If there is enough room inside the cavity of the handle to fit a piece of metal to reinforce it, I'll add it. I was thinking that a short, flat, 1/8" thick piece with a hole at each end would be good enough to hold. The ends would be under each of the bolts & connected to the a-pillar. I don't even put all my weight (which is around 175) on the handle, & use it more like a hand rail on stairs when I step up & into the truck.

By the way, I blamed my wife for breaking it. She used the truck over the weekend & it broke on Monday. I texted her saying that she broke the handle & might need to lose weight.   :smilielol:

Bob                

hatersaurusrex

I had a '99 Dakota I bought brand new off the lot, for about 7 years.   It was a complete POS.   All kinds of little interior things randomly broke on it, and I had it in for tranny problems 4 times under warranty, then I finally gave up after horrible dealer service.  At 60K miles the crank trigger sensor burned up, stranding me on on the first day of a job.  Plasticky POS radiator developed a leak, then the replacement did too.  AC compressor burned up on a trip to Chattanooga with no warning in the middle of August (was not low on coolant).  If you hit a squirrel with it you'd knock it out of alignment.  In 2007, After only 80K miles,  I skidded on some ice on the interstate and hit a big highway sign, totalling it.   The impact smashed the radiator, busted the windshield, and slammed the sign so hard on the bed it busted both taillights out.   Airbag didn't deploy.  Once I realized I was ok, I was so excited.   I knew it was totalled.  I smiled all the way to pick up my insurance check and took it straight to the Ford dealership to snag an F150.   Before that Dakota I had a Ranger that I put 150k VERY hard miles on that never missed a beat.

I love old-school Mopars, but Chrysler would be hard pressed to get me to buy anything new from them ever again.

And Troy, you have no responsibility to 'support' Mopar.   It's not a religion.  These aren't soldiers at war.   Mopar will get my 'support' again via my dollars when they make a product I consider worth buying.   I see nothing in their current lineup that incites me to turn loose of any cash.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

resq302

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on June 12, 2012, 09:38:47 PM
I had a '99 Dakota I bought brand new off the lot, for about 7 years.   It was a complete POS.   All kinds of little interior things randomly broke on it, and I had it in for tranny problems 4 times under warranty, then I finally gave up after horrible dealer service.  At 60K miles the crank trigger sensor burned up, stranding me on on the first day of a job.  Plasticky POS radiator developed a leak, then the replacement did too.  AC compressor burned up on a trip to Chattanooga with no warning in the middle of August (was not low on coolant).  If you hit a squirrel with it you'd knock it out of alignment.  In 2007, After only 80K miles,  I skidded on some ice on the interstate and hit a big highway sign, totalling it.   The impact smashed the radiator, busted the windshield, and slammed the sign so hard on the bed it busted both taillights out.   Airbag didn't deploy.  Once I realized I was ok, I was so excited.   I knew it was totalled.  I smiled all the way to pick up my insurance check and took it straight to the Ford dealership to snag an F150.   Before that Dakota I had a Ranger that I put 150k VERY hard miles on that never missed a beat.

I love old-school Mopars, but Chrysler would be hard pressed to get me to buy anything new from them ever again.

And Troy, you have no responsibility to 'support' Mopar.   It's not a religion.  These aren't soldiers at war.   Mopar will get my 'support' again via my dollars when they make a product I consider worth buying.   I see nothing in their current lineup that incites me to turn loose of any cash.

Yup, that pretty much summed up my opinion of the recent Chrysler as well!
Brian

69 OUR/TEA

I have an 04,has'nt happened on mine yet.The truck has been great so far,real happy with it,although it is going into the dealer under warranty next week for a leaky rear pinion seal.

PA Dodger

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 13, 2012, 10:39:48 AM
I have an 04,has'nt happened on mine yet.The truck has been great so far,real happy with it,although it is going into the dealer under warranty next week for a leaky rear pinion seal.

What kind of warranty do you have? The 7/70,000mi. warranty ran out on my '04 at 7 years. I just now made it to 70,000 miles.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: PA Dodger on June 13, 2012, 06:14:14 PM
Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 13, 2012, 10:39:48 AM

What kind of warranty do you have? The 7/70,000mi. warranty ran out on my '04 at 7 years. I just now made it to 70,000 miles.

I bought it used in 08 and bought the 8 year 100k miles bumper to bumper warranty,it ends this month on the 29th !!!!

Old Moparz

Yes, it's an old topic but I wanted to revisit it because I still have my truck.  :nana: 

The Fisher-Price handles broke again. I repaired them many years ago, but the remaining plastic it's made of is still thin, weak, & poorly designed & gave out. This time the pockets that the bolts go into broke off completely. The first time they were just cracked so I repaired them.

I found an after market pair of handles on ebay ($72.84 shipped) & also the aluminum repair kit ($11.85 shipped). The passenger side is still the original one & never broke but I ordered a pair just in case. This is surprising to me because everyone that gets in on that side uses the handle. I hardly ever used the driver side but I suspect that over the years there may have been an overweight mechanic or two who have gotten in or out.  :scratchchin:

Looks like I have something to do after work tonight.

Bob                

Kern Dog

I use mine and my truck has 400,000 miles on it. They are still in excellent condition.
Plus, I'm not fat.

Old Moparz

Bob                

Mike DC

QuoteI use mine and my truck has 400,000 miles on it. They are still in excellent condition.
Plus, I'm not fat.

Half the continent is fat though.  You can see 300-lb people in public every single day. 

Plenty of other guys (especially the type of guy who rides in a fullsize truck) can get up to like 270 lbs without even being fat. You can get there by being 6'3" tall with manual-labor muscles and a winter coat & boots. 

A grab handle that comes off when overloaded is more dangerous than no handle at all.  An OEM should have enough sense not to cut corners there.   

Kern Dog

My dad was taller and heavier than me yet my hands were bigger than his.
I do agree though, for a feature like this, these should have been made sturdier.
I'm right at 200 lbs and I feel chubby at this weight. I'd be a miserable turd at 300 lbs.

armor64

As a slowly recovering really fat guy (current just Fat Guy), that is 6-4 but thankfully strong for my size, I never use grab handles or side steps on vehicles for fear of breaking them or bending rocker panels. I'm down over 150lbs recently and still plenty to go, but how much better i feel without carrying around another adult human of weight is insane. Back in the day, a great family friend with a c2 corvette convertible threw me the keys to take it around the block, and i could not fit behind the wheel, that was the wake up call to change my thinking and start to fix myself. Last fall, i was able to finally fit, but felt as if my head was above the windshield, still a dream car though, good times.

6pkrtse

I do use mine due to my 2004-1/2 is a 3500 dually. I also have the chrome perfect bars that I stand on so they support most of my weight over the handle by itself.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Kern Dog

Just think....losing 30 lbs purportedly has the impression of adding an inch to your stick.
If you start with average and gain 100 lbs, you're half the man that you used to be!