News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 vs 360

Started by seaweed, June 15, 2012, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaweed

Hi! i have a -68 Charger with a stock 440/727 (800 cfm thunder avs and mp ignition as only mod).
But there is a new kid in town who drive's a Duster (360) and everyone talks about his "nice" car and all the things he has done with the engine/drivetrain/suspension.
The thing is that i havent met him yet, but the day i do meet him should i be worried then?
How much does a 360 has to be tuned to win over the 440?
Dont now what he has under the hood exept that people says "he must have put 15k in that motor atleast"

Ghoste

The 440 is a great engine and can make your 68 Charger go like stink, but do not ever sell short the combination of a well tuned small block Mopar especially in an A-body.  It stands a very excellent chance of whipping your ass especially if its modified. Truthfully though, you shouldn't be worrying about this in any case, you should be just enjoying your car.  Search this fellow Mopar fan out and befriend him and then the two of you go and pick on the other brands.

seaweed

I'm sure that he's a nice guy and that we would have allot to talk about, And i really don't want to race him course my car is sort of a daily driver for me and my family and not a 402 racer.
But when i drive it weird things happening to me that put a smile on my face and lead on my foot and all other car's becomes obstacle that must me passed :laugh: .
Sorry about my grammar, its more then 10 year's ago since my last English lesson...

Ghoste

Your grammar is fine and I totally understand your need for speed.  :D

charger_fan_4ever

If you see aluminum heads and a single plane intake under his hood walk away lol.

Scaregrabber

If his is stock like yours is, you have him covered. If his is modified, it depends what was done and there is no shame in losing to another Mopar.

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Years ago before the alum heads & strokers for the 360 were redily available I ran a built 360 with a bone stock 440 with iron manifolds . I out ran him to 125 MPH twice no porblems , the 440 make a lot of torque !!
With your 440 being stock , the 360 may not have enough to outrun you even with a 408 stroker kit alum heads etc but it could run hard  .

charger_fan_4ever

there is a 70 duster locally with a 408 indy head small block. Auto trans brake. It drives to the track on pump gas and has ran into the high 5's in the 8th.

http://www.dragstelie.com/gladphoto.asp?id=271&type=2

MagnumForce

Yeah i see some guy whip around my town in a Duster as well, but every time i see him my charger is home  :rotz: I want to meet this guy though so we can pick on all the 1st gen camaros i see wandering around town!!  :cheers:
If You Ain't First, You're Last!!

Lennard

Quote from: seaweed on June 15, 2012, 03:47:55 PM
Hi! i have a -68 Charger with a stock 440/727 (800 cfm thunder avs and mp ignition as only mod).
But there is a new kid in town who drive's a Duster (360) and everyone talks about his "nice" car and all the things he has done with the engine/drivetrain/suspension.
The thing is that i havent met him yet, but the day i do meet him should i be worried then?
No, in the end you still have the most amazing looking classic car in town! :2thumbs:

Cooter

Do not take a knife to a gun fight.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

seaweed

quote]
No, in the end you still have the most amazing looking classic car in town! :2thumbs:
[/quote]

That's true, I own the car that everyone wants ;D

Budnicks

The 360 Duster will be "far lighter" than the 440 equipped Charger, nearly 1000lbs, the LA-360 with all the great SB parts out there now, in a Light A-Body car can haul a$$ for sure, it really depends on whats done to the Duster... It's all about the power to weight ratio... But you can always bump yours up in power too, that 440 will take minor mods very well, like headers, aluminum dual plane intake & well tuned carburetor, K&N air filter, decent electronic ignition system, free flowing exhaust/muffler system, frees up allot of penned up power {the engine is like a big air pump, what goes in, must come out}, with out spending a small fortune, it will make you much more confident, when your in your happy zone, passing the masses too... If that's not enough... Then lower gears, a looser converter, cylinder head work & camshaft change, would be the next step, to domanace... Have fun & Happy Moparing
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Cooter

I'd like to see what that A-body guy thought about the new kid in town with a $15K 540 C.I. BB......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

twodko

I want to see this $15k 360 motor. :popcrn:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

HPP

Quote from: Budnicks on June 18, 2012, 02:35:34 PM
It's all about the power to weight ratio...

bingo!

A 3100# Duster with 400 horse 360 is 7.75 pounds per horse. A 3800# Charger with a 375 horse 440 is 10.1 pounds per horse. If you have a high rear end ratio, you may pull a holeshot, but he will catch you and pass you.

Ghoste

And if the Duster has the drivetrain and chassis modified as the op indicated, the likelihood of the Duster taking the win light just keeps increasing.
At the end of the day they are both just great Mopars.

Wicked72

Quote from: Ghoste on June 15, 2012, 03:49:56 PM
The 440 is a great engine and can make your 68 Charger go like stink, but do not ever sell short the combination of a well tuned small block Mopar especially in an A-body.  It stands a very excellent chance of whipping your ass especially if its modified. Truthfully though, you shouldn't be worrying about this in any case, you should be just enjoying your car.  Search this fellow Mopar fan out and befriend him and then the two of you go and pick on the other brands.

Nuff said  :cheers:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Silver R/T

Quote from: Ghoste on June 15, 2012, 03:49:56 PM
The 440 is a great engine and can make your 68 Charger go like stink, but do not ever sell short the combination of a well tuned small block Mopar especially in an A-body.  It stands a very excellent chance of whipping your ass especially if its modified. Truthfully though, you shouldn't be worrying about this in any case, you should be just enjoying your car.  Search this fellow Mopar fan out and befriend him and then the two of you go and pick on the other brands.

what he said, should be friends with another Mopar guy. Go pick on ricers if you want to pick on someone
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooter

It's all about competition. Whether it be Mopar VS Mopar, or Mopar Vs Brand X....All about who talks the most sh*t as to who needs who's ass handed to them. I personally, like to have enough most times, to put these types in their place. However, there's always that chance you run up on the Douchebag with money. These types aren't just limited to Brand X'ers, OR Ricers. These types are commonly found in the Mopar world as well...Do not try and outrun money. I have tried it and it is impossible. Can't be done. You spend $10K on a 440, he spends $60K on a Small block, NASCAR headed, with some space age block consisting of 500 C.I. capacity, valves that are made of gold, best of everything, and pays the hell outta someone to build it for him/her so it WILL back up what he/she claims.

Simply put, Enjoy your car, but beware...

Cubic inches will NEVER outrun Cubic Dollars. Plain and simple.

Budnicks

Quote from: HPP on June 20, 2012, 11:05:31 AM
Quote from: Budnicks on June 18, 2012, 02:35:34 PM
It's all about the power to weight ratio...

bingo!

A 3100# Duster with 400 horse 360 is 7.75 pounds per horse. A 3800# Charger with a 375 horse 440 is 10.1 pounds per horse. If you have a high rear end ratio, you may pull a holeshot, but he will catch you and pass you.
:2thumbs:  :shruggy:  :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

mauve66

where do those cubic dollars grow, i want to harvest some :scratchchin:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Cooter

Quote from: mauve66 on July 05, 2012, 04:21:07 PM
where do those cubic dollars grow, i want to harvest some :scratchchin:

Had a garden once with a few trees. They all died right after the dude sold me them.