News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wilwood brakes

Started by flyinlow, June 30, 2012, 12:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Was thinking about upgrading my front disks on my 73.

Complete Wilwood set up with their 11 inch rotors...or

AR Engineering brakets with Wilwood calipers and 11,75 inch Mopar rotors.

Which would work best? 

Do the Wilwood calipers hold up well on the street?  Do Wilwood rotor corrode where the cast iron meets the alluminum hub?

Chryco Psycho

Wilwood has no dust / dirt seals in their calipers which is ok as long as you keep them clean or drive in clean environments . Scarebird has caliper adapters that use common parts , you can also Check with Baer, SSBC ETc .
Dis-similar metals will corrode over time the same as alum wheels onto iron brakes but coating them with anti seize helps

Patronus

I too need brakes. Had a quick question if I may.. Does anyone have 12" rotors with 15" wheels? Im running Bassett wheels and was hoping to fit the 12.19" rotor in there. (They spec. 16" wheels)
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Chryco Psycho

the problem is getting caliper that is approx 1" thick to fit over the edge of the rotor & maintain enough strength & not hit the inside of the wheel , the biggest I know of it the cordoba system at about 11.75 "

Silver R/T

You can get better deal on ebay than Wilwoods. I do like their lightweight calipers though, but they're not worth extra $$ to me.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Supercharged Riot

Wilwood aint worth it??  I was considering buying the 6 piston caliper kits sold on Reilly Motorsports website  :icon_smile_question:

FLG

I would upgrade the rear to disk (Dr.Diff has a good kit)

For daily driving a larger front setup probably wont do much, if you can lock up your wheels with the stock setup unless your doing some road racing and overheating em a bigger setup wont make a difference.

flyinlow

Already have rear disks. 11 inch elderado calipers.

I bought some 73 dart spindles for my sons drum brake 70 Charger. His budget is about zero right now. I thought I would give him the slotted 10.75 rotors, calipers,brackets and some new Hawk pads for his car to go with the spindles mentioned . This leaves me with no front brakes, but I have a bigger budget.

The Wilwoods save almost 40 lbs of unsprung weight, but I did have a couple durability questions. I drive 5000 miles or so a year, try to avoid rain ,but it happens.

The 11.75 Cordoba rotor set up is heavier ,especially if you use the stock caliper. I do like the idea of bigger rotors. Right now I am not using any perportioning valve and have a slight rear look up issue at max braking. If I had stronger front brakes ,it might help.  :shruggy:

FLG

What size rims do you have? Could go with a set of viper calipers  :yesnod:

flyinlow

15 X 7 Cragger SS on the front with 245/60 BFG's.

bill440rt

From what I understand now there are certain Wilwood calipers that now have the dust boots?  :shruggy:
Their larger systems will not fit with 15" wheels. Their 4-piston kit might though, I just don't know with the smaller rotor size if it would be adequate enough to stop a large car such as a Charger.

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on July 01, 2012, 12:54:48 PM
Wilwood aint worth it??  I was considering buying the 6 piston caliper kits sold on Reilly Motorsports website  :icon_smile_question:

EXTREMELY happy with the performance of my Wilwood 6-piston kit. Although I did not purchase the brakes themselves from Reilly (used another vendor that caused me months of grief), I did purchase my Hydroboost from him & would gladly make any additional purchases from him hands down. Bill was very helpful & knowledgeable.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

John_Kunkel

I wouldn't consider Wilwoods to be an "upgrade" unless you're replacing drums.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Patronus

Yesterday Summit had Baer's going for $640 (iron sport) ...now they're gone.  :brickwall:
If I could get the 12.19" rotors in these wheels I'd be happy..
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Patronus on July 02, 2012, 06:02:10 PM
Yesterday Summit had Baer's going for $640 (iron sport) ...now they're gone.  :brickwall:
If I could get the 12.19" rotors in these wheels I'd be happy..
If you want rear disks, Jegs has Baer's (iron sport) rear kit item 136-4142020 $465.00
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Supercharged Riot

Hey bill440rt

Did you get the same exact brakes?

Any issues with daily driving & braking?

HPP

Quote from: bill440rt on July 02, 2012, 10:06:00 AM
From what I understand now there are certain Wilwood calipers that now have the dust boots?
Their larger systems will not fit with 15" wheels. Their 4-piston kit might though, I just don't know with the smaller rotor size if it would be adequate enough to stop a large car such as a Charger.

Yes, Wilwood does offer some calipers with dust seals now. Check with them to figure out if the offered versions are compatible with your plans.

Wilwoods 12.19 kit is designed to fit within SOME 15" wheels. This is what the Nascar boys use, albeit in 1.25 thick version, so it may be possible. Mopar Muscle did this conversion in teh last couple of years in one of their project cars. If your trying to get them behind your vintage slot mags, it probably aint gonna happen. If you have some newer, light weight set ups, they may fit.

However, if your just using the Wilwood heavy duty drag race kit with 10.5 rotors, I wouldn't bother. You'll have better street results with the smaller mopar offering plus keep everything stock. Braking capability is increased with rotor size, not piston count. Its simple leverage. Can you tighten bolts down with more force using a 1/2" drive ratchet or a 1/4" drive ratchet? Same principle applies to brakes.

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 02, 2012, 03:39:16 PM

I wouldn't consider Wilwoods to be an "upgrade" unless you're replacing drums.

Agreed, because of my above thought. The lighter weight is nice, but not hugely noticeable on the street. The loss of braking leverage and heat sink capability for multiple stops in traffic would be concerns with the Wilwood aluminum hub and hat set up, IMO. However, unlike the stock pads, Wilwood will offer different pad compounds for different applications so if you actually use your car for a variety of activities, Wilwood may offer more options for stopping your car.

flyinlow

Thanks ,

going with the 11.75 inch slotted 79 Cordoba rotors with Mopar brakets and stock pin  stye calipers. I am also going to try Hawk carbon/ferro pads.

My son gets the hand me down 10,75 inch slotted rotors,pads and calipers  for his '70 Charger, now that he has the '73 A body disk spindles.

Dino

My car came with a complete Wilwood front disc kit, the old 10.75" vented rotors and 4 piston billet calipers.  I wouldn't buy it now if I had to pick but since it was free I will install it and hope for the best.  The drums work pretty good so how bad can the discs be?  Worst case scenario I have to unbolt it again and get different rotors and calipers.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

flyinlow

I liked the unsprung weight advantage of the complete Wilwood kit (38 lbs). A suspension that can keep the tires on the ground more of the time on a rough road can give you better braking . I learned on dirt bikes that brakes don't work when the tires are airborne.

Even though the Wilwood 4 pistons don't clamp as hard as a stock caliper,if they have high friction pads or better quality cast iron for the rotor, the brakes still might work better then stock,for a given size rotor.  :shruggy:

Dino

Quote from: flyinlow on July 05, 2012, 07:07:13 PM
I liked the unsprung weight advantage of the complete Wilwood kit (38 lbs). A suspension that can keep the tires on the ground more of the time on a rough road can give you better braking . I learned on dirt bikes that brakes don't work when the tires are airborne.

Even though the Wilwood 4 pistons don't clamp as hard as a stock caliper,if they have high friction pads or better quality cast iron for the rotor, the brakes still might work better then stock,for a given size rotor.  :shruggy:

I think you hit the nail on the head with the pads.  Everyone I spoke to running this kit said it was all in the pads.  Oh and apparently it's not a bad idea to have the rotors turned before installing them although I'm not sure I want to do that.

I like the way my drum brakes work, when they work properly.  Obviously I have an issue with them when they're cold but once warmed up it does stop pretty good, I can't imagine the discs not doing a better job but if they suck they will fly!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Patronus

Wilwood specs on the 12.19" rotor is 7.15" height to the top of the caliper. My wheel measures 7.25" to the inner wheel lip.. What would you guys do? I'd also have to machine the center out to the recommended 3.1" bore..Is it worth it over the 11" rotors??
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

FLG

I recently switched pads on my other car due to switching from regular tires to Comp R tires

I went from Hawk HPS pads, to a MUCH more agressive track pad (car will be run in a month or so), DTC 60 pads to be exact, and HP Plus pads for the rear. The pads make a ton of fricken dust, kill my rotors, and squeal like hell and take a bit of warmup before there past the effectiveness of the old pads...but i went from not being able to lock up the Comp R tires to being able to put a passenger through the windshield if i wanted. I ONLY changed pads, nothing else.

Try a different set of pads with your brakes now and see what you get, find something more aggressive but nothing crazy. HPS pads were great with street tires, and they do make em for our cars. The HP Plus pads are a bit more aggressive but they are pretty dusty and make a ton of noise, price you gotta pay for better brakes though. 

bill440rt

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on July 04, 2012, 10:24:58 PM
Hey bill440rt

Did you get the same exact brakes?

Any issues with daily driving & braking?

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was dealing with the heat at Carlisle!  :naughty:
The front kit I got was a 6-piston, kit# 140-10815D. Rotors are 12.88".
Rear kit is#140-7144D, rotors are 12.18".

Car stops great, I don't experience any fade at all. That was just using the Wilwood pads that came in the kit.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

flyinlow

Quote from: FLG on July 07, 2012, 02:02:38 AM
I recently switched pads on my other car due to switching from regular tires to Comp R tires

I went from Hawk HPS pads, to a MUCH more agressive track pad (car will be run in a month or so), DTC 60 pads to be exact, and HP Plus pads for the rear. The pads make a ton of fricken dust, kill my rotors, and squeal like hell and take a bit of warmup before there past the effectiveness of the old pads...but i went from not being able to lock up the Comp R tires to being able to put a passenger through the windshield if i wanted. I ONLY changed pads, nothing else.

Try a different set of pads with your brakes now and see what you get, find something more aggressive but nothing crazy. HPS pads were great with street tires, and they do make em for our cars. The HP Plus pads are a bit more aggressive but they are pretty dusty and make a ton of noise, price you gotta pay for better brakes though. 

I have the Hawk HPS pads ,waiting for the 11.75 cordoba  rotors .