News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original paint markings on my 8.75 housing...

Started by hemi68charger, February 01, 2006, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Getting closer to the Hemi's "togetherness". Here's a picture of my 8.75 rear end housing. I'm sure the "X" with a circle signifies a suregrip, but does the yellow markings match anything ya'll have?...  I will be duplicating the markings soon........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Ive gotten some input from another board that the yellow "D" signifies the '68 model year and the "X" with the circle would be a non-suregrip assembly... I also have a yellow "242" stenciled on the housing which seems to mean 3.23:1 open 742 non-suregrip....

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

bill440rt

My cars had a white "B" instead of the D. My '70 also had a large "F". Not sure what that meant.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69_500

A non suregrip 3.23 on a HEMI car? That doesn't seem right.

hemigeno

A pegleg axle with a Hemi doesn't seem right, but they sure did it...  '69 too...

Bill, "F" should mean '70 model year series.  What year was the car that had the "B" on its axle (and was that the car's original axle)?

I don't think I knew about the model year designator on the axle.  Seems kinda silly to take the time to write the model year on a part.  SureGrip designator, or even a truncated part number, that I understand.  Did they do the same with Danas?

bill440rt

Thanks for the info on the "F"!

The B was on my '68 AND my '70 Charger. The B on my '70 looped around on the bottom & they drew a circle around it. Yes, they were the original rears. I'm doing a '69 now, I'm fairly certain that had a B on it as well. It was sandblasted last year, I'll hafta go thru my stash of pics to verify. Maybe it stood for B-body?? (just a wild guess...)

I thought the Sure-Grip designator was on the gear itself. There should be colored splotches on the bottom of it. My '70 had one orange & 3 white splotches. From what I've read the orange and 2 white splotches was for 3:55, and the extra white splotch indicated a Sure-Grip.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69_500

Although a 3.23 rear gear with a HEMI would make a great cruising car. I mean power, and top end speed. Doesn't leave the nice burn out marks though, I mean who wants a peg leg.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on February 02, 2006, 11:48:07 AM
Although a 3.23 rear gear with a HEMI would make a great cruising car. I mean power, and top end speed. Doesn't leave the nice burn out marks though, I mean who wants a peg leg.

Yeap, I was surpriced as well, but, it's plan as day on my fender tag it didn't come with it.. I'm going to restore the housing just like or as close as I can get to original, but I already have a 3.23:1 suregrip chunk going in.........

Troy
Troy

69_500

Ah now that makes it no fun, putting in a 3.23 suregrip. Makes for a more impressive burn out yes.

Just doesn't seem right someone opting for a HEMI or a 440 for that matter in a Charger and not getting a sure grip.
Question then. Wasn't a suregrip standard equipment on a R/T and HEMI cars? So was there a refund or a credit given back to the buyer if they opted for a non suregrip rear end?

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on February 02, 2006, 12:03:27 PM
Ah now that makes it no fun, putting in a 3.23 suregrip. Makes for a more impressive burn out yes.

Just doesn't seem right someone opting for a HEMI or a 440 for that matter in a Charger and not getting a sure grip.
Question then. Wasn't a suregrip standard equipment on a R/T and HEMI cars? So was there a refund or a credit given back to the buyer if they opted for a non suregrip rear end?

Danny,,
Ya have to remember, the majority of the cars sold weren't ordered by a customer. Just like today, more often than not, people bought what was available on the lot.. Sure, there were those that ordered cars, but it's the exception rather than the rule in my eyes.. Back then, the sure-grip differential was just another option. I don't believe anywhere in '68, or '69 for that matter as Geno has eluded to, did it state the sure-grip was standard when orderin the 426 hemi option. Now, the 26 in. radiator and such is a different story. Now, if it was a 4-speed car, that was a different story, all Dana's were suregrips.........  This '68 of mine was a sales bank car if I remember, so Dodge just built it and sent it on it's merry way to the dealership... Of course, a dealership would "order" the car, but they probably just ordered base Chargers, R/T's, equipped with a particular motor, etc, without getting into too much detail........

Troy

Troy
Troy

blackcrowe

mine also had a blue H lookin splodge on the left axle tube--think i had a B in yellow on the pumpkin, no x. its a 3.91 s.g :yesnod:

69_500

I agree, that ordered cars are the exception to the rule. Most cars sold today are just cars that are on a dealers lot, or one that is on another dealers lot that they trade to get for a customer.

I looked it up in the 1969 Dodge Dealer Data book, and I was wrong. That standard gear ratio for a 383 4 bbl, 426 HEMI, or the 440 with an automatic transmission is the 3.23. Optional gear rations were 3.23 sure grip, 3.55 sure grip, 3.91 sure grip with the 383, 3.23 sure grip, 3.55 sure grip, and 4.10 sure grip with the HEMI and 440.
I don't know if would have been the same for 1968 but that is what I have on 1969. Don't have a Data Book for 1968.

Interesting thing I see in this book now that I'm looking at it, is the 383 2bbls don't seem to be available with anything but an automatic transmission. Is that right? But you could get a 2.76 sure grip rear end with a 383 2bbl. Could get a 2.94 sure grip with a 318.

Paul 500

This is mine out of my 68 R/T, it had no sure grip. I copied the markings exactly.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

hemi68charger

Quote from: uk_69_500 on February 02, 2006, 02:27:08 PM
This is mine out of my 68 R/T, it had no sure grip. I copied the markings exactly.

Looks like mine... Did yours have the "242" stenciled?   Like this?

Troy

greenpigs

I thought in 68-70 at least all 440 4 speeds and HEMIS both auto and 4 speed got danas?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

hemi68charger

Quote from: greenpigs on February 02, 2006, 03:08:59 PM
I thought in 68-70 at least all 440 4 speeds and HEMIS both auto and 4 speed got danas?

Nope... Just the 4-speed cars...............  Now in '69, you could have ordered a SuperTrak Pak on an auto car and you got the Dana, '70 for sure.........
Troy

69_500

good looking detail photo there uk_69_500.

I wasn't aware you had a 68 R/T as well. Looks like you have quite the collection going on over there.

I've never really gotten down and examined the rear end housing of my 500. I checked for leaks and such when I bought it, and to see if it was the right rear end, but not for pencil and paint markings.

ck1

I disagree, my 68 base model has from the buildsheet no suregrip and it has the yellow D and a white O with a white / through it not a X, the suregrips is my under standing would have been a X, also the white O to could look like a C sometimes which is suppose to stand for carrier and / for none and X for suregrip..............picture of my original axle unrestored witch I set up another one with a suregrip and duplicating suregrip markings.......
CJK

hemi68charger

Quote from: ck1 on February 02, 2006, 06:04:43 PM
I disagree, my 68 base model has from the buildsheet no suregrip and it has the yellow D and a white O with a white / through it not a X, the suregrips is my under standing would have been a X, also the white O to could look like a C sometimes which is suppose to stand for carrier and / for none and X for suregrip..............picture of my original axle unrestored witch I set up another one with a suregrip and duplicating suregrip markings.......

???   Mine is original to the car as well.....  Not to say it isn't possible, but mine could have recieved a suregrip even though it wasn't coded... But, for sure, there's a "242" on the housing.....  Do you have any reminents of a three-digit number?

Troy
Troy

ck1

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 02, 2006, 06:47:54 PM
Quote from: ck1 on February 02, 2006, 06:04:43 PM

???   Mine is original to the car as well.....  Not to say it isn't possible, but mine could have recieved a suregrip even though it wasn't coded... But, for sure, there's a "242" on the housing.....  Do you have any reminents of a three-digit number?

Troy
I have 237 and yours is 242, this number is found on left driverside axle housing and is also found on your build sheet under build codes under axle...........242 stands for 1968 B body ratio 3.23 AX "SA" drums 11" RnGr 8.75" pinion 1 3/4 yoke 7290.............

'
CJK

BlueSS454

I noticed a ton of markings on the rear that came out of my 69, I should have taken pictures, I'll get some on Monday and put them up for comparison.  The rear is still at school in front of the car.
Tom Rightler

ck1

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 02, 2006, 08:16:11 AM
Ive gotten some input from another board that the yellow "D" signifies the '68 model year and the "X" with the circle would be a non-suregrip assembly... I also have a yellow "242" stenciled on the housing which seems to mean 3.23:1 open 742 non-suregrip....

Troy
just wanted you to know I looked up 742 build code and could not find it, my book covers 1962 to 1974.

P.S. how is it not marked on your fender tag or build sheet that you have no suregrip that came with your car?  I thought you could only find out if your car came with or with out one under second colum down on your build sheet under sure grip code 408 and a 8 would have to be in the colum under the 408..........I'm starting to think that Troy your right and I have a suregrip in my axle for I have no number under allot of colum on my build sheet and but still have that item on my car, dam goofy buildsheets anyway.........
CJK

Paul 500

I dont know if it had '242' on it as most of the paint had come off ( car came from Las Vegas, sun + sand took off most paint no rust through)
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500