News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gauges all jumping to 'max'

Started by Wolfie, July 05, 2012, 03:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie

(i looked on the forum and this thread seems to be the most similar to what im experiencing, but not quite
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29385.msg320895.html#msg320895)

so i was driving home the other day (at night - pretty cool out,etc), and i noticed all of my gauges jump all the way to the right. the gas gauge, the temp gauge, the oil pressure, and the alternator.  i was keeping a steady speed of 65 on the highway, and the car was seeming to run just fine.

as with the thread above, ive noticed my temp gauge  jump up (usually stays steady in the 170 range) to max, and then slowly go down 170, but this is the first time ive seen all the gauges jump up at the exact same time and then slowly reset back to 'normal'.

it happened about 2 times on that drive. any ideas?
New to the muscle car/mopar addiction so bare with the "dumb" things I'm likely to ask all of you. Just trying to learn and gotta start somewhere! Cheers!

My vote is with the cluster regulator. Should be 5v but will spike and possibly burn out the gauges if it sticks and sends 12v to the gauges for a length of time.

Fred

Quote from: 440 on July 05, 2012, 05:29:18 PM
My vote is with the cluster regulator. Should be 5v but will spike and possibly burn out the gauges if it sticks and sends 12v to the gauges for a length of time.

You took the words right out of my mouth 440.
You need the IVR4 instrument voltage regulator from Real Time Engeneering. (RTE) that is the best.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

doctor4766

Mine did the same when the ground wire to the cluster VR came undone. I soldered it back on to the casing and problem solved.
Gotta love a '69

Wolfie

New to the muscle car/mopar addiction so bare with the "dumb" things I'm likely to ask all of you. Just trying to learn and gotta start somewhere! Cheers!

Wolfie

follow up to this -

i havent been able to order the part yet but was today. also havent been able to drive the car since i posted this but was planning to tomorrow. is this issue more of an electrical type of malfunctioning and basically i shouldnt worry too much about the gauges reading in the 'red' until i get it fixed. correct?

Dans 68

If the gauges are getting 12 volts for any length of time they will be destroyed. Destroyed. I would either remove power from the cluster until I get the regulator replaced, or don't drive the car. No other thrifty options.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Wolfie

damn thats what i was afraid. ok thanks!

Paul G

Only thing that concerns me is the alt gauge is not part of the IVR. It should have stayed steady. If the alt gauge did jump I would double check the grounding of the voltage regulator.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

doctor4766

Quote from: Paul G on July 18, 2012, 10:10:44 PM
Only thing that concerns me is the alt gauge is not part of the IVR. It should have stayed steady. If the alt gauge did jump I would double check the grounding of the voltage regulator.
I wonder if he checked that after I mentioned it earlier.
Simple fix if that IS the problem.
Gotta love a '69

Dino

As stated, the ammeter should not have spiked, only fuel, temp and oil pressure.  Do not even think about starting that car until it's either disconnected or fixed, I lost two gauges due to the voltage limiter. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Wolfie

thanks guys. i cant say for certain the alt gauge jumped as well. i know for a fact the other three did tho, so i assumed they all spiked ( i was driving and trying to not stare too long at them). also this happened at night w/ the lights on. i dont think ive ever seen it spike during the daytime - so should i be ok enough to drive it to my guy to have him look at? id hate to have to tow it there. car seemed to be running solid aside from the occasion spike on gauges.

again, i know next to nothing on cars so i really appreciate all your guys help

The voltage regulator on the firewall could also be bad as well and overcharging the system. Disconnect the cluster and check the voltage with the car running, if it's spiking above 14.8 then most likely the regulator is faulty or not grounded.

Mine would cut in and out with a jolt so tap and knock on the regulator to see if its holding steady. My gauges too were ruined by it so if I were you I wouldn't take any chances and upgrade both regulators with solid state units that shut down if things go wrong. Cheap insurance...

Dino

Quote from: Wolfie on July 19, 2012, 06:13:52 PM
thanks guys. i cant say for certain the alt gauge jumped as well. i know for a fact the other three did tho, so i assumed they all spiked ( i was driving and trying to not stare too long at them). also this happened at night w/ the lights on. i dont think ive ever seen it spike during the daytime - so should i be ok enough to drive it to my guy to have him look at? id hate to have to tow it there. car seemed to be running solid aside from the occasion spike on gauges.

again, i know next to nothing on cars so i really appreciate all your guys help

Noooo not ok, do not start the car!

If you want to drive it you need to disconnect the power from the circuit board behind the instrument cluster.  Since the cluster needs to come out, remove the whole thing.  Take the wires off the ammeter, bolt them together, tape them up and keep them away from the frame.  You won't have gauges but you can drive.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.