News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone tried the 440 Source serpentine belt setup?

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, July 15, 2012, 06:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I was looking at serpentine belt setups and saw the 440 source setup, anyone have any experience with it or recommend another setup that wont break the bank.  :shruggy:  

http://store.440source.com/Billet-Aluminum-Pulleys/products/136/

Thanks   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Mopar Nut

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 15, 2012, 06:22:29 PM
I was looking at serpentine belt setups and saw the 440 source setup, anyone have any experience with it or recommend another setup that wont break the bank.  :shruggy:  

http://store.440source.com/Billet-Aluminum-Pulleys/products/136/

Thanks   :cheers:
I was looking at the same set up at Summit Racing, costing more, thanks for posting.
:popcrn:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

FLG

Get in touch with Bill,

wchicowlas@comcast.net

He builds em to order, me and Bill from the forum run the same setup....his was a bit more because of the compressor, but 2 years ago its cost me 1250, might have gone up but im not sure.

Heres what it looks like

Comes with everything ya need

And on bills car

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks FLG!   :cheers:  I have been debating ditching my a/c setup and going with something simple and clean, but I have a feeling the second I get rid of it I will want it back. The 440 source setup would only be about $200 bucks to do so it sounds real tempting, but doesn't work with the a/c. I will send Bill an email and see what he can do so I can keep the a/c. Thanks
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on July 18, 2012, 12:52:07 PM
Thanks FLG!   :cheers:  I have been debating ditching my a/c setup and going with something simple and clean, but I have a feeling the second I get rid of it I will want it back. The 440 source setup would only be about $200 bucks to do so it sounds real tempting, but doesn't work with the a/c. I will send Bill an email and see what he can do so I can keep the a/c. Thanks

Has the heat not hit the triple digits where you are?  I'm not touching my car until I have a/c in it!   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

mauve66

the way i look at the pulleys from 440 source they are NOT really serpentine belts, just multi-ribbed belts instead of V belts
they say the double pulley is for PS and alt setups, so you have one belt for crank to PS and one belt for crank to ALT

at least FLG and Bills setup uses  idlers so its a real serpentine setup with one belt for everything
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bill440rt

Does anyone have a link to the complete 440 Source setup? All I see is individual pulleys, so you have to piece it all together a la carte?  :shruggy:
Like mauve66 mentioned it looks like just individual ribbed pulleys that use multi-grooved belts instead of just one single belt.

I liked Bill's setup (I think his Moparts ID is duster499), because it wasn't overly done like a March or Billet Specialties setup. Price was very good as well. I've heard the finish doesn't hold up well on the March kits that great, either. I went ahead and polished & cleared all of the pieces, although they do come with a decent machined finish to begin with.
Everything bolted & lined up great. Belt stays on nice, no issues. Bill is a machinist, & he makes the brackets & stuff custom so they are very exact. My machinist was very impressed by them. Bill also gave me a parts list for the over the counter wearable stuff such as the idler & tensioner pulleys.
He makes kits for Hemi's, big blocks, small blocks, etc.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WHITE AND RED 69

Yes, the pulleys are all sold individually and does not use any idler pulleys. It just seemed like a clean setup for a decent price so I was looking for anyone who has tried them out. I got a couple responses on protouringmopar.com and a few people are running them without any problems. I'm just looking into ways of cleaning up my engine bay without replacing too many components.

I do like the setup Bill is running, it looks clean and simple. If I keep my a/c then that is definitly a style I would go with. I will email Bill and see what he can do and go from there. I just need to make the choice of keeping the a/c or ditch it. The smartest and easiest option would probably be just to swap out the old a/c compressor for a new sanden one and keep the v-belt pulleys I have now. That should clean up the engine bay quite a bit.   :shruggy:

Quote from: Dino on July 18, 2012, 05:05:57 PM
Has the heat not hit the triple digits where you are?  I'm not touching my car until I have a/c in it!   :icon_smile_big:

Nope, it was a nice 75 degrees today.   :icon_smile_cool:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

FLG

When you purchase a setup from Bill, he includes all the pulleys, belts, idlers, brackets AND all the components, PS pump, Alternator, and Compressor, along with instructions and all the hardware required. Its very well put together.

WHITE AND RED 69

That does sound like the way to go. I guess I could always sell my current components to make some of the cash back. Thanks for all the help guys  :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

FLG

Its the simplest, all comes together and all you need to do is bolt it up. Also when i didnt get my little cover for the front of my alternator pulley, he promptly shipped one out.

garner7555

http://www.sdconcepts.com/products_automotive_bbserp.html

Has anyone tried this kit??  It uses pulleys from a late 90s dodge truck, updates to modern ALT., P.S. pump, and A/C compressor. 
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

billrabe

Anyone know how to get ahold of Bill listed above? I am interested in his serpentine belt conversion for my 440 but he didn't reply at the email address above.

sdconcepts

i know this is old but my web guy just found this post and i wanted to introduce myself and my company. 

Our kits are designed to use modern accessories on older mopar engines.  We don't just slap on a couple of pulleys and call it a kit, we designed the entire system to work as close to factory as possible so you have long time reliability and good looks.  With modern mopars that people drive you tend to need more amps, so we've integrated the nippendenso alternator, available in 75,90,120 and 160 amp varieties.  Also integrated the lighter sanden ac compressor.  If your going to cool your car no need to add a huge old cast iron compressor.  And for power steering we added the new lightweight zf power steering pump and reservoir.  All of our kits use a spring loaded tensioner so you don't have to ever worry about throwing a belt or not getting them tight enough and the annoying squeal that only a v belt can provide. 

The kits are available in a raw machined state or anodized for extra cost.  All parts are made in the usa in troy Michigan using USA made materials.  We will be releasing a billet pulley kit to go with the kits shortly. As well as small block kits.

Jerry
www.sdconcepts.com

Dino

Hi Jerry, welcome to the site.  I'm running the 90 amp nippondenso and the sanden compressor, do you sell the rest of the kit separately or is it a package deal?  Same with the power steering pump, can we keep the stock pump?

I'm in Ann Arbor by the way so if you're in my neck of the woods and see the white charger, feel free to flag me down.

sdconcepts

Dino,

the kits we sell are bracket kits, so you can ultimately pick the accessories you want to run.  any particular reason you want to keep the stock heavy power steering pump?  our kits are designed to use the light weight and efficient zf pumps from modern cars.  if you had to have the old style pump we could probably come up with a bracket to make it work.

Jerry

cudaken

What are if any advantages of running a Serpentine Belt system beside not having to tighten the V Belts once in a while?  :scratchchin:

Cuda Ken
I am back

sdconcepts

there are a lot of advantages to running a serpentine belt.  the belt design itself takes less horsepower to drive than a v belt, especially when you have multiple v belts.  in our kits we have designed in a spring loaded tensioner, so the perfect amount of tension is applied to the belt in all situations.  not only does this eliminate squeal but also nullifies the chance of throwing a belt and increases the life expectancy of all the bearings in the system.  our kit also allows you to run new more efficient and lighter weight accessories, such as the sanden ac compressor.  I personally haven't weighed the two compressors but I know the difference is significant.  also the zf power steering pump we use is lighter than its older version counterparts.  alternators are a wash in terms of weight but you get a more modern nippendenso unit that has better charging capability at idle, and more amps available.  I do believe that if you took one of the old monster sized 100 amp Chrysler alternators as compared to the newer 120 amp there would be a serious weight savings as well. 

we have designed all of our kits to use as many factory parts as we could so you are getting 20+ year newer accessories that are more readily available at parts stores on the shelf vs special order.  this is pretty important for the long haul guys who drive their cars on road trips. 

most v belts were only good for about 30-40k miles and a lot of serpentine belts these days can go at least twice if not three times that before needed to be changed.

Dino

Good info

I don't have to keep the stock steering pump, but there is a limit to how much money I can pump into this car for parts I don't really need.  My decision to buy a modern pump would be based on cost more than anything.  How does this pump compare to the stock pump in day to day driving?

What would the cost be for the plain setup minus alternator and a/c compressor?

And yes, the stock compressor is quite a bit heavier than the sanden style.   :yesnod:

sdconcepts

dino,

the kits start at $550 for all the brackets, bolts, spacers, that you need to put it together.  most people find the magnum pulleys and other parts in the junkyard.  when I did my first conversion I was able to find good used power steering pumps in the junkyard for about $25-40 with reservoir.  in terms of comparing the power steering pumps I noticed no difference in day to day driving.  and after speaking with rick Ehrenberg, he found out that you can cut one of the coils of the pressure regulator of the zf pump just like the older pumps.  rick is doing a full write up on our kit in an upcoming issue.

oldschool

Quote from: sdconcepts on October 31, 2013, 06:20:37 AM
dino,

the kits start at $550 for all the brackets, bolts, spacers, that you need to put it together.  most people find the magnum pulleys and other parts in the junkyard.  when I did my first conversion I was able to find good used power steering pumps in the junkyard for about $25-40 with reservoir.  in terms of comparing the power steering pumps I noticed no difference in day to day driving.  and after speaking with rick Ehrenberg, he found out that you can cut one of the coils of the pressure regulator of the zf pump just like the older pumps.  rick is doing a full write up on our kit in an upcoming issue.

you could buy 3 lifetimes worth of V belts, for the cost of that conversion....... :shruggy:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

sdconcepts

i understand that there is some cost involved with upgrading and this is an upgrade over the factory system.  i understand its not for everyone and definitely not meant for the resto crowd.  there are other kits out there that are alot more expensive, and we are trying to provide an affordable solution.

WHITE AND RED 69

Looks like a great setup. Should look sweet all billet.  :2thumbs:  Wish I would have seen it before I bought my March setup. Would much rather have had an idler pulley and only one belt instead of the adjustment rods and 2 belts March uses.

Just curious what do you think you would charge for all Billet brackets and pulleys for a 440 with a/c and power steering?   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

sdconcepts

the current bracket kit is all billet and it runs $550.  the pulley kit is going to be about $200-250, haven't finalized the pricing yet. 

JB400

I like the idea of using off the shelf parts.  That makes it easy for us :2thumbs:  Have you considered a kit that would move a Sanden compressor down to where the fuel pump location is at for those with a 6 pack air cleaner or fresh air option?  It'd give these people as well as the ones with a Hemi the option of having a/c in cars that originally didn't have it.

sdconcepts

yes we are currently working on what I call a mid mount ac kit.  this kit will move the alternator down low, and the ac compressor above it.  that way you can still keep your mechanical fuel pump if you don't want to switch to electric.  this design has proved a little more difficult to accomplish since we are moving a significant amount of weight around on the front of the engine.  need to make sure that all the components are triangulated for maximum rigidity and reliability.  the kit will definitely be out before thanksgiving.  we won't release anything that we are unsure of working as our other kits do. 

after this one is complete we are moving onto a full line of small block kits and are even entertaining the idea of doing some for the slant six guys, (but I think these will be made to order). 

lasvegas69charg

I believe march makes different type set ups also
69 dodge charger 383/727/3.55 (my dad is the original owner-matching number) stroked to a 496😉