News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd Gen rear bumper alignment

Started by haueter66, February 02, 2006, 06:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haueter66

Ok, here goes.  Sorry, no pics yet.  I put the new bumper on today... looks great except for one thing.  the gap from bumper to quater on the drivers side is about an inch.  on the pass side its about 1/2 inch which looks correct.  So, my question is this:  There is no in/out adjustment to the rear bumper... so what do you guys think?  Could the drivers side bracket be "sprung" or bent rearward somehow?

Any thought appreciated!

Thanks

Mark

AKcharger

??? you never lnoe what has happened in the past 30+ years.

What about taking a drill or grinder and making "oval" holes on the drivers side bracket to allow for adjustment?

haueter66

the bracket bolts flat to the body and flat to the bumper... so i think i would have to physically bend the bracket back toward the car... no t really sure

1970440RT

You may have to tweak the body mounting points w/a hammer and dolly.  Even a slight rear end collision would send the alignment out of wack.  The easiest way would be to shim out the near side a little.  By shimming out the side that is close, you will also bring in the side that is out too far.  Kind of a lever effect.  You will end up with both sides at 3/4".  I hope this makes sense.

Nacho-RT74

maybe 71/72 bracket on passenger side and 73/74 on driver side ? ???

rear bumper doesn't have anykind of aligment beside the "play" on holes and stud/bolts
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

haueter66

I think I will take the bumper back off and maybe lay both brackets on a level surface and compare...

haueter66

Well, I ended up taking the bumper off... measured everything and it all measured out the same... I guess the quarter could be off that much ... I dunno.  SO, I did what 1970440RT suggested and shimmed the close side.  I am happy with the result.

The Ghoul

Quote from: haueter66 on February 03, 2006, 07:10:29 PM
Well, I ended up taking the bumper off... measured everything and it all measured out the same... I guess the quarter could be off that much ... I dunno.  SO, I did what 1970440RT suggested and shimmed the close side.  I am happy with the result.

nice butt!  :P

haueter66