News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battery Question

Started by wldside, July 21, 2012, 08:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wldside

Hello,

I need to pic up a battery and need to know how many CCAs to get.  I have a 440 500 Hp with a 100 amp alt.
Thinking about an interstate battery???

Thanks for your help.

elacruze

Get the biggest battery you can afford that fits in the box.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Dino

I have a 27 from Autozone and it works just fine.  If you have a/c make sure it doesn't hit the discharge hose as it did on mine.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

wldside

Cooter

Go with the Interstate. Have seen LOTS of Autozoo, Wally World, Sam's Club, etc. batteries take a sh*t right around 2 year mark.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

This is the one I got.  3 years free replacement, 8 year warranty.  The sales girl actually told me that if I return it before the 3 year mark I'll get a new one!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Gold-Battery/1969-Dodge-Charger/_/N-iqxorZ8gcxb?itemIdentifier=115785_402958_0_
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

I am of the belief that the weight of a battery tells a lot about it; for a given group battery, the heavier the better.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Budnicks

If it's not a correct restoration, Go with a gell-cell w/circular plates "Optima" Red or Yellow top 1000 cranking amp battery, you won't regret it, I had my 1st one for over 15 years {purchased in 1997}, had it in my golf cart 1st 3 years, then my 99 Dakota 4x4 for 12 years after that {it finally died this spring, I just bought a new one a couple months ago}, the 2nd/3rd one/set I bought was 10+ years & counting in my 2002 F-350 Super-Duty Diesel Dog, the original Autolite batteries died in the 1st year, the 4th was 8 years & counting in my old 68 RR now, it's in my current 68 RR, I have them in everything now... BUT THEY AREN'T CHEAP, like $170-$210, depending on size & style, but for long lasting/cranking power & they seem to be well worth the extra price.... Oh yeah I forgot the 1977 Tri-Hull fishing/ski boat has a "Blue top" deep cycle Marine version too... Summit Racing has the best prices I've found...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

resq302

I agree on the Interstate battery!  I used to swear by DieHard but after having to replace numerous batteries at the 6 mos time frame, I found their quality had gone drastically down hill.  Since the late 90s, I changed over to Interstate and have had no problems.  They have lasted me numerous years (5 years on one truck and then traded the truck in) and it was still going strong.  Anytime I have to replace a battery, I highly recommend the Interstate.  Now if you are trying to get a stock looking battery for your show car, there is only one company I think making them now.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Budnicks on July 23, 2012, 04:10:55 PM
If it's not a correct restoration, Go with a gell-cell w/circular plates "Optima" Red or Yellow top 1000 cranking amp battery, you won't regret it, I had my 1st one for over 15 years {purchased in 1997}, had it in my golf cart 1st 3 years, then my 99 Dakota 4x4 for 12 years after that {it finally died this spring, I just bought a new one a couple months ago}, the 2nd/3rd one/set I bought was 10+ years & counting in my 2002 F-350 Super-Duty Diesel Dog, the original Autolite batteries died in the 1st year, the 4th was 8 years & counting in my old 68 RR now, it's in my current 68 RR, I have them in everything now... BUT THEY AREN'T CHEAP, like $170-$210, depending on size & style, but for long lasting/cranking power & they seem to be well worth the extra price.... Oh yeah I forgot the 1977 Tri-Hull fishing/ski boat has a "Blue top" deep cycle Marine version too... Summit Racing has the best prices I've found...

:iagree:

This, exactly.   Optimas last 4 times as long at twice the price and get crazy cranking amps.  Used to run them on my 4x4.   Had a buddy who had a Toyota with the clutch cancel switch that lets you start the truck in gear.   He blew an injector while sitting on a very steep angle, and couldn't get it started again, but the optima had so much juice it pulled him all the way up a 500 or so foot cliff so he could get off the trail and get some help.   Amazing things, those Optimas.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Budnicks

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on July 30, 2012, 11:40:32 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on July 23, 2012, 04:10:55 PM

:iagree:

This, exactly.   Optimas last 4 times as long at twice the price and get crazy cranking amps.  Used to run them on my 4x4.   Had a buddy who had a Toyota with the clutch cancel switch that lets you start the truck in gear.   He blew an injector while sitting on a very steep angle, and couldn't get it started again, but the optima had so much juice it pulled him all the way up a 500 or so foot cliff so he could get off the trail and get some help.   Amazing things, those Optimas.
:2thumbs: yep you can't beet them in quality, longevity & cranking power

GPULLER

We sell interstate's at work, the route drivers say they warranty a lot of the Optima's.  The say the largest problem is that they aren't charged properly.  They need low amperage for a long time.
I'd say the extra cash and get a group 34 or 27 Interstate.

Budnicks

Like anything else on cars & parts, opinion wil vary vastly...