News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which wiring for a 3rd gen?

Started by Wicked72, July 21, 2012, 09:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

When I got my car all the wiring up from was melted including the fuse box so i need a complete harness from front to back. I know theres a bunch of places that sell them and id like to know what fits well for my car and what I need exactly. i see kits with different circuit amounts like 10, 12 or 18. not idea what i need. help! thanks in advance!
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

myk

Are you looking for factory-based, OEM wiring or something more modern, with blade type fuses?  I'm having my car rewired right now and I'm having a Painless wiring kit installed.  The wires are color coded and each wire even has the name of the device it's powering every few inches or so along the length of the wire just to help guide anyone working on the electrics.  Personally, I would go with an aftermarket kit-the cost should be cheaper, and it allows for easy, no-splicing required additions to your electrical system if you ever need to do so.  Besides, I like blade type fuses-all of those pretty colors and all...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Wicked72

I dont care is if its aftermarket Id rather spend the least I can atm so i can just get the car on the road. how many circuits do I need? 

Ghoste

My personal opinion is that wiring is one area where you shouldn't be spending the least possible just for the sake of getting it on the road.  :Twocents:

myk

Quote from: Wicked72 on July 22, 2012, 03:33:20 PM
I dont care is if its aftermarket Id rather spend the least I can atm so i can just get the car on the road. how many circuits do I need? 

Please take a look at Painless or EZ Wiring systems.  They're not too expensive and they are very well made.  Millions of car enthusiasts have been using their products for decades.  Personally, I would put up the functionality, reliability and performance of modern wiring systems like Painless or EZ against OEM type wiring harnesses any day, especially if you plan on regularly driving your machine...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

AirborneSilva

What about the M&H harnesses that Year One sells?  I have heard they are good.

EDIT:  I just went and looked at the EZ wiring site, it looks like their harnesses are for people whom actually know how to wire a car, not for a know nothing novice like me.  I need a harness that is clearly marked and made for my car (73 Charger SE w/AC).

Wicked72

im looking at the ez wiring. so again i really need to know how many circuits do i need?

myk

How many circuits?  Not many, certainly not many as the aftermarket systems offer.  On mine I'm only using maybe 7 of the 21 circuits that are available on my wiring harness, but then again all I expect my car to do is start, run, and light up when necessary; I have no accessories to speak of like windows, heat/air, defroster, locks, stereo, etc.  It really depends on what you want to do with your car but even the most tricked out car would be hard pressed to use all of the 18 or 21 circuits these guys are offering...

Quote from: AirborneSilva on July 23, 2012, 10:23:19 AM
What about the M&H harnesses that Year One sells?  I have heard they are good.

EDIT:  I just went and looked at the EZ wiring site, it looks like their harnesses are for people whom actually know how to wire a car, not for a know nothing novice like me.  I need a harness that is clearly marked and made for my car (73 Charger SE w/AC).

I agree with you, which is why I farmed out the rewiring job to a trusted shop.  I can troubleshoot, even fix electrical stuff but I want the first install to be a tight, professional one.  Personally I'd go with Painless or Ron Francis, though, as those harnesses are color coded to Mopar wiring diagrams-the shop chose EZ wiring for my Charger but that's all coded for GM installations! :eek2:

AirborneSilva

QuoteI agree with you, which is why I farmed out the rewiring job to a trusted shop.  I can troubleshoot, even fix electrical stuff but I want the first install to be a tight, professional one.  Personally I'd go with Painless or Ron Francis, though, as those harnesses are color coded to Mopar wiring diagrams-the shop chose EZ wiring for my Charger but that's all coded for GM installations! eek

So what are they charging you to do the install and did you take the dash out or are they doing all that?  I've thought of having someone do it too but I want to get my gauges restored and add a factory tach.

myk

Oh yeah, it's a bumper to bumper rewire.  They will use all of my old sockets and switches because they're still good, but all wiring will be replaced.  I plan on using aftermarket gauges at some point so my cluster isn't too much of a concern, but they'll still wire all of that stuff up.  They're charging me $1200 for all of it...

moparguy01

ive used painless and ezwire. i prefer ezwire because its almost the exact same harness as painless for half the price.

its actually not hard to install. i was intimidated when i did my first painless kit, but even though the wires were colored coded for gm, the wires were labelled with what circuit they went to every 3 or 4 inches. so as long as you read the wire its not so bad. i also use uninsulated butt splice connectors and cover them woth adhesive lined shrink tubing. it goes pretty easy.

i also got more circuits than i need for my charger, i have a circuit for the electric fuel pump, potentil for n electric  fan setup, and about 7 extras for any future possibilities. but my harness isnt goig into anything even pretending to bea stock vehicle.

myk

Wow right on, I'm getting an electric fuel pump too, and when I save up a little more I'm going to go to electric fans as well.  What made you get the electric fuel pump? 

Wicked72

im going to go with the ez and get a 12 circuit. so is there a particular one i need for the 72?

myk

Just to make sure you have enough circuits; as far as I can tell that's the only difference I can see between the different sets...

Wicked72

i wasnt sure if there one thats made for mopars or not

Ghoste

I think all of those kits are generic.