News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My apologies - foot in mouth disease ...

Started by 89MOPAR, February 03, 2006, 04:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

89MOPAR

I recently responded to a post and basically said it was silly to swap in a bigger motor into a Charger. And those who did were silly.

Didn't mean to step on any toes as I'm sure many members have done this-- well maybe just stub toes but not smash them.

My reasoning is that I know a 318 can be built to 300 HP pretty reasonably -- and put on new Edelbrock heads, forged parts, a matched application carb, great ignition, right cam, etc and 400 HP is definitely possible.
  If a guy has the motor in the car already ; then - no K-member change or Schumaker mounts, no hunting for pulleys/brackets, and different radiators, no extra weight in the front , no different distrubutor, etc.
  I've owned [3]   440 Magnum powered cars, so I do know the difference.  I suppose my train of thought says,- if you want a big -block car , just buy it to begin with.  I realize upon reflection that we all don't know what we want at first, or the car that becomes avail;able when we buy, might not be our ultimate goal.
  I'd be more impressed with a built 318 cubic inch '69 Charger that ran in the 13 seconds range for 1/4 mile  than I would of a 440 powered car that ran in the 12's.

Obviuosly I am guilty of changing what I want - as I've owned probably 15-20 Mopars - all cool , all runner drivers, but I always crave something different as well.

Anyhow- my apologies, didn't mean disrespect to those that spend untold hours of grimy toil working on putting more power in your Mopar.  My knuckles are dirty too, I've just done it with the engine size the car came with from the factory.    :icon_smile_blackeye:   :pity:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

hemihead

I agree with you.The thing I don't understand is the guy who pulls out the SB and puts a 440 or Hemi in to drive to the Car Show at 35 MPH.
Must be the ego thing.  :icon_smile_question:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TK73

Paul, I have no idea about putting my foot in my mouth around here...  :icon_smile_big:

I'm getting the fever to do some mods to my 318.  Gave my "302" heads away last year after the divorce  :'( , anybody got a set they want to part with?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

HDCharger

IMO there are several factors involved.  Most guys would buy a 440 Car if they could afford it.  318 Cars are just cheaper and more within reach.  And lets face it when showing someone your car and you raise the hood had you rather tell them "its got a 318" or "its got a 440".  If the choice is spending alot of bucks on a 318 to make it perform or throw that old 440 in there and do nothing to it then the choice is pretty easy and the updrades from there are pretty limitless.  All being said, its their car, they own it, they can paint with pink polka dots if they want too.  Of course I may disagree with alot of what people do but especially cutting up a good car but what can you do?
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

472 R/T SE

Disappointed in you.  You've softened up over the years.  :P :icon_smile_big:

andy74

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Charger Aficionado

I really want a NICE 318 '69 survivor to leave original (exception of a rebuild)...  I want it as a daily driver because I know that 440 will DRINK gas, and I want to "end my fuel addiction"...  :)

BTW:  No K member mods are needed on 2nd gen B bodys...  If you can find a complete engine, the swap is pretty simple.

Telvis

I understand the part about 440 bragging rights. For me it's more important to have the original engine in the car. Mine has a 383. I have done my best to get as much reliable performance out of it as I can. If it had an original 318 I would keep it and try to muscle it up the best I could. I take more pride in the fact that I have the original motor than if I had the biggest. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the bigest, baddest original motor! I just don't have that kind of luck or money.

Just be happy with what you have. They are all stars! Unless you have a HLPAG special.

4402tuff4u

"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

89MOPAR

Quote from: AllBlueRT on February 03, 2006, 10:11:48 AM

Hahahaha - yeah, softened around the middle maybe !

Ok- I'll go back to a familiar quote from me - " Get your butts out of the folding chair and drop that polish rag, Mopar Drags are coming up in May in Seattle / Bremerton - Come enter the sportsman brackets so I can win the class and take your entry Money $$ ! "   :icon_smile_tongue:

PS - I'm toying with the idea of making a clone of my 1st car, a plain 1969 318 automatic grocery getter , 0-60 mph in 9.5 seconds Charger !
    F8  green on a black interior.
I've found a likely candidate in a true 440 R/T car. Nice, solid , + complete.  I wonder how much $$ and how hard it will be to swap in a 318 / 904 combo ????? :devil:
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: BigBlockSam on February 03, 2006, 12:13:48 PM
318-  :rotz:

440-  :punkrocka:

The most commonly asked question asked about my car is, "Does it have a 383 in it?" They never ask if it has a 360, 400, 426, 440...............always 383 for some reason.  ???

When they find out it's a 318 they seem a little offended that I'm running a little motor in the car..............whats up with that? My 500 is a factory 318'er with a few mods........cam, alum intake, 4 barrel, dual pipes...........all the standard hop-ups. It does have a nice rumble though, I guess thats why they assume it running a big block I guess.

Long live the 318's!!!!!!!! ;D

......and yes, I have '72 440 out back in the yard for it when the motor goes. :yesnod:

BBD

JimShine

For me it is a cost issue. I can get good engines for cheap money around here. It would tale alot of cash to get my 318 modded to make that kind of power. The extras needed for the big block conversion are easily available and dirt cheap if you know where to look.

smasherofall

I wonder what catagory that would put me into?  my 68 is a 383 car, original engine long gone, and I have a 383 in it now, with only about 400 miles on a rebuild. I got a chance for a 440 out of a 75 D350 real cheap and plan on getting it in a couple weeks   :icon_smile_tongue: you know what they say, " no replacement for displacement"   ;)

plum500

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on February 03, 2006, 01:53:09 PM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on February 03, 2006, 12:13:48 PM
318-  :rotz:

440-  :punkrocka:

The most commonly asked question asked about my car is, "Does it have a 383 in it?" They never ask if it has a 360, 400, 426, 440...............always 383 for some reason.  ???

When they find out it's a 318 they seem a little offended that I'm running a little motor in the car..............whats up with that? My 500 is a factory 318'er with a few mods........cam, alum intake, 4 barrel, dual pipes...........all the standard hop-ups. It does have a nice rumble though, I guess thats why they assume it running a big block I guess.

Long live the 318's!!!!!!!! ;D

......and yes, I have '72 440 out back in the yard for it when the motor goes. :yesnod:

BBD

9 times out of 10 even before I reach for the hood, people seem to ask (presume) I've got a 383 ... dunno,  (I mean, they're right, I do) I just find it funny that is what folks I've run into expect...  ???

Charger_Fan

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on February 03, 2006, 01:53:09 PM

I had the same thing happen when I used to drive mine. It had headers & Thrush mufflers that sounded great, so most people just assumed it had a big block. They sorta went "wtf?" when I popped the hood.

Oh well, I still loved my car. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 89MOPAR on February 03, 2006, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: AllBlueRT on February 03, 2006, 10:11:48 AM

Hahahaha - yeah, softened around the middle maybe !

Ok- I'll go back to a familiar quote from me - " Get your butts out of the folding chair and drop that polish rag, Mopar Drags are coming up in May in Seattle / Bremerton - Come enter the sportsman brackets so I can win the class and take your entry Money $$ ! "   :icon_smile_tongue:

F8  green on a black interior.

Ahh yes, that's it.  A little encouragement just might get my polishing arse up there.  As long as I'm not popping out the windshield and distorting my body panels with the big Hemi.   :icon_smile_tongue:

Did you notice all you had to do was barely say green Charger and Mark's ears pop up.  :wave: :icon_smile_big:

smasherofall I accidently bid up a jack you were bidding on.  Sorry, it's all yours.

Big Lebowski

440 vs. 318? It's a size thing, size matters, you know bigger is better. It's a way to naturally enhance your engine bay with something that is real tight on the sides. (I'm talking about the inner fenderwells, what were you thinking about? You sick bastards.) :D 
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

andy74

my car was originally a 400,that was long gone,and had a limping 383 in it when i got it,so the 440 made the most sense,cost the same to have the 383 rebuilt as it did a 440,so in she went!i have nothing against a small block,just have always wanted a big block car,and am happy when i put the pedal down,except when i go to the gas station!

golden73

I've noticed a lot of people being given crap because their car is a small block. My car is a small block, and I am damn proud of it. Im hot rodding the engine, and when I'm done, I will spank most big block cars. It will be so nice to pop the hood, and say "yes it is a small block, and yes it kicks ass"

Mefirst

Well a Charger still looks good no matter what engine it has...

My ride was an original 318 ride, but during the years the original driveline has gone missing. I talked to a couple of the previous owners and seems that my ride has had almost every single engine Mopar produced between the front fenders over the years. When I bought it, it had 400cid engine, tired but ran well and did what it was supposed to do. With time I wanted more bang in the engine. I had plans to build a stroker outtaw the 400, but stumbled across a built 440 that I bought for less money that it would have taken me to rebuild the 400 to make the same amount of power the 440 has.. But if I wouldn't have found the 440, and went on and built a stroker engine from the 400 I am shore I would have been just as happy...

/Tom

John_Kunkel

Quote from: hemihead on February 03, 2006, 07:28:41 AM
I agree with you.The thing I don't understand is the guy who pulls out the SB and puts a 440 or Hemi in to drive to the Car Show at 35 MPH.

But think how quickly it'll accelerate to 35 mph with the 440/Hemi compared to the LA.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BigBlockSam

318's are cool little motors but don't kid yourself it takes alot of money  for a 318 to beat a 440. if you want the most  bang for the buck 440's the motor, plus there not easy to blowup. unless you get radical. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

TK73

Quote from: Big Lebowski on February 03, 2006, 04:59:18 PM

It's a size thing, size matters, you know bigger is better. 

Some 318 owners have the size where it matters, and don't need a 440 (or a red corvette)...  :icon_smile_big:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!