News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best way to remove windhield?

Started by Skyview69, February 03, 2006, 12:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyview69

Anyone know the best way to remove front and rear glass without breaking it?  ???

THE CHARGER PUNK

get a glass guy 2 do it i know many people who try to do it and it cracks or shatters-MATT

Beer

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

jaak

If you are not going to re-use front windsheid gasket, cut it with a utility knife, cut the rubber gasket around it and glass with remove easily, with no problems, I did this with mine, now my back glass, had been siliconed, and bondoed in, I shattered it, but I had 2 extras.

good luck
Jason

daytonalo

STAINLESS MECHANICS WIRE AND TWO PAIR OF VICE GRIPS AN SAW BACK AND FOURTH JUST STAY OFF GLASS. THIS IS FOR THE BACK-LITE

miamivice

Quote from: jaak on February 03, 2006, 10:28:15 PM
If you are not going to re-use front windsheid gasket, cut it with a utility knife, cut the rubber gasket around it and glass with remove easily

stupid question, but the front winsheild gaskets for 2nd gen bbodies can be gotten new right, so there isnt any need to try and 'preserve' the old one that is in there, right? 

just asking before i go otu and start trying to yank mine out.

i need to get the front windshield out to get to get the whole dash out.

Mike DC

Sorta yes and sorta no, Fish.

Way back in the early 1970s, Mopar switched to using a slightly thinner and stronger type of glass.  They switched over all their replacement glass to that type too.  And they make a new repro gasket, but it's for the thinner/newer glass type. 

So you can buy a new windhshield and a new gasket and everything will fit.  But you can't mix & match a new & old gasket & glass together as well.  (You may still be able to get things together that way; I don't know for sure.)

8WHEELER

The last time I bought new gasket,s they had new Chrysler gasket and a repo, of coarse the repo
windshield gasket was much cheaper and this was through YO.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

I hear they ususally get broken when removed, even by glass guys.

miamivice

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 10, 2006, 05:02:40 PM
Sorta yes and sorta no, Fish.

Way back in the early 1970s, Mopar switched to using a slightly thinner and stronger type of glass.  They switched over all their replacement glass to that type too.  And they make a new repro gasket, but it's for the thinner/newer glass type. 

So you can buy a new windhshield and a new gasket and everything will fit.  But you can't mix & match a new & old gasket & glass together as well.  (You may still be able to get things together that way; I don't know for sure.)

oh yeah, i remember you telling me this down in bristol.   well im probably gonna get both new so no big deal.   thanks man

HeavyFuel

Quote from: bull on February 11, 2006, 03:51:26 AM
I hear they ususally get broken when removed, even by glass guys.

Well then, at this time I'm going to pat myself on the back, along with my 10 year old daughter, we got both of mine out OK.  I've never removed glass before, so there is always hope.

I am a little concerned about the discusion on gaskets.  I planned on re-using my windshield, will I have trouble finding a gasket to fit?  I wasn't aware of the thickness issue, if it is an issue.

terrible one

What happens if glass guys break it? Do they have to pay for a new (or old, in this case) one?

58pwrwgn

Glass companies usually don't warranty glass breakage unless they supply it. Its been along time but I have put the thinner glass in some older vehicles with out problems. New replacement glass for older vehicles may vary in thinkness depending on the manufacturer. Modern glass is typically .20 inches thick, some of the thicker replacement is about .275. I don't know what original is.