News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A bit of a rant - why aren't reproduction switches available?

Started by wm_tell1, July 27, 2012, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm_tell1

I've been looking for repop switches and the only one I've found is the dimmer for the gauges. I know guys with Chevelle's, Mustangs, Camaro's etc and they can get just about any electrical part they need as a repop. The dimmer switch for the gauges has a bunch of moving parts so the price of $150 doesn't seem too much out of line but the hazard switch and wiper switch aren't available. By the time you get a decent used one off of ebay or elsewhere and get the switch re-chromed you're looking at ~$100. $100 seems like a decent price for a repop company to make a profit. Is there something I'm missing?

rick@laysons

Yes.......very deep pockets.

First, you have to line up a manufacturer that's willing to take on the project, that is unless you just happen to already own the manufacturuing machinery needed to get the part produced. Then, the cost to reverse engineer a component is not cheap. Then, you have the cost of setting up the tooling. Then, once a proto-type is made and tested and approved, HOPEFULLY, the manufacturer will schedule you a spot in their production schedule to get the run produced.

Manufacturers like to do enormous production runs to make the parts cost effective on a "per piece" price point. BUT.....Mopar parts do not have the initial demand like Chevy's, Fords, and other makes. So, production runs for Mopar parts are smaller in unit quantities. Because of the smaller production runs, manufacturers schedule the runs whenever it's convenient for them.......not convenient for us who need them. They need to make their big money on big runs, we have to take what we can get when we can get it.

Now if you have enough money to buy all the production machinery, do all the engineering yourself, and do all of your own production runs, then all of these points would be mute.

Ghoste

wm_tell1

Thanks for the heads-up. I looked at the repop headlight switch and it looks pretty cheap - I think I will stick with my original and
try to rebuild it. What I'd like to see is a plug-and-play variable speed wiper switch - any idea as to how much it would cost to get one of these
things built? I'm thinking these would be pretty popular - out here in norhtern california since we get a lot of morning fog and the variable speed would be handy.

resq302

Jim Slotts rebuilds the switches and does one hell of a nice job at it!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Bob T

Quote from: resq302 on July 27, 2012, 09:48:45 PM
Jim Slotts rebuilds the switches and does one hell of a nice job at it!

Sure does. Switches and other parts. He's done some parts for friends of mine out here and they are very happy with the results. He's also done a grill for Jackie 71Challengerher

Here's a link to one of his resto parts threads with pics

http://www.nzmoparforum.co.nz/index.php?topic=5356.0
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Cooter

Quote from: rick@laysons on July 27, 2012, 02:10:09 PM
Yes.......very deep pockets.

First, you have to line up a manufacturer that's willing to take on the project, that is unless you just happen to already own the manufacturuing machinery needed to get the part produced. Then, the cost to reverse engineer a component is not cheap. Then, you have the cost of setting up the tooling. Then, once a proto-type is made and tested and approved, HOPEFULLY, the manufacturer will schedule you a spot in their production schedule to get the run produced.

Manufacturers like to do enormous production runs to make the parts cost effective on a "per piece" price point. BUT.....Mopar parts do not have the initial demand like Chevy's, Fords, and other makes. So, production runs for Mopar parts are smaller in unit quantities. Because of the smaller production runs, manufacturers schedule the runs whenever it's convenient for them.......not convenient for us who need them. They need to make their big money on big runs, we have to take what we can get when we can get it.

Now if you have enough money to buy all the production machinery, do all the engineering yourself, and do all of your own production runs, then all of these points would be mute.

Amen ......
In the process of trying to repop a VERY expensive, but limited to a narrow window of customers, engine part. Wanna guess @ how much it cost to get the prototype out?

No part yet, just a plastic "Negative" to make the molds with that still cost more. Try $10,000.00..........

Then, we find out that the core builder and foundry want an additional $5500.00 to get the first one out..So, just simply b*tching about parts not being repopped is a moot point when you consider how much innitial investment it takes. I will never look at repop parts manufacturers the same again. I too thought they were just greedy charging what I considered to be crazy money, until I saw how much it cost to get a part into production.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

The difference is, Cooter, is that chances are you will make a correct dead on part vs. the average Joe making a repop part and not putting the time into researching and test fitting the product so it actually is a quality piece.  Sad to say but there are a lot of repop pieces out there that are far less quality than what the original part was.  However, there are some other excellent guys like ECS, B,E, & A parts, A & M High Tech Auto, R/T Specialties, Tony Dagostino, etc who put the extra effort into getting the part to dead on if not better than the orignals.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho