News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66-70 B-Body Lt & Rt Lower Door Hinges - Same Part??

Started by noitsnotahemidamit, February 03, 2006, 09:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noitsnotahemidamit

Can anyone tell me the difference between the left and right lower door hinges on a 1968 Charger? They appear to be identical parts, not a mirror image of each other. One appears to be mounted "upside down" in comparison to the other.
If they are the same, why did Dodge use two different part numbers? My parts interchange manual gives this information:

Part Numbers: 2583578 (passenger), 2583579 (driver)
Usage: 1966-69 Barracuda;1970-early 1973 Dart, Duster, and Valiant; 1966-70 Belvedere, Charger, Coronet, and Satellite, all models and body styles. Front door only.
Note: Used until July 1,1973.

jaak

i always assumed they were the same, just flipped around

8WHEELER

There is a big L AND R on each of the hinges, they are designed to be on one side or the other. The
rollers that the tension bar rolls on should be on the bottom of the hinge. If you change them to
the other side it will be hard to lube. They will bolt in, but the bolt holes don't line up very well ,
I tried it, and sometime some grinding is needed to have them clear.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

noitsnotahemidamit

Quote from: 8WHEELER on February 04, 2006, 01:42:37 AM
There is a big L AND R on each of the hinges, they are designed to be on one side or the other. The
rollers that the tension bar rolls on should be on the bottom of the hinge. If you change them to
the other side it will be hard to lube. They will bolt in, but the bolt holes don't line up very well ,
I tried it, and sometime some grinding is needed to have them clear.

Dan

Dan,
Would it be possible for you to post a couple of pictures of one of your Chargers that illustrates the left and right lower hinges as you have described them? It would be a tremendous help to me. Thanks for posting.

Steve

8WHEELER

I have never installed them on the wrong side. When I had my car in the body shop they tried
to put the new hinges on the wrong sides, the body man showed why it would not line up
correctly and we agreed if we did some grinding on the hinge it would fit. But the bolt pattern
was still off, flipping the hinge up side down it is off on one hole, so sorry no pics.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

beenaround

also bear in mind through the years these hinges superseded a number of times to where the left and right became the same replacement partso if yours were replaced at one time you probaly got the newer hinges which also look way different than the origenals.