News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What 4 speed shifter are you using?

Started by Wakko, July 20, 2005, 12:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

My factory one is kaput and my buddy's loaner is a bit loose.  He's got the Hurst Super Shifter on his car and the throw is extremely tight.  I actually LIKE the factory throw but if the standard Competition shifter isn't TOO much tighter, I might go that route.  Cost IS an issue and I have a console.   Thoughts? :icon_smile_question:
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

I think you'd find the standard Competition Hurst to your liking.  It isn't a great deal different from the 69 units.  I preferred the Super Shifter in my last 4 speed car myself, but that's just me.

Chryco Psycho

you can use the Hurst super Comp + , it has adjustable stops , works well 

70sixpkrt

Why don't you have yours rebuilt. I sent mine to Passon Perf. to rebuild. He is also making it into a positive stop shifter.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Blusmbl

Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

Wakko

What's a positive stop shifter?  What's it costing you for a rebuild?
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

V-gates are great until they hang up between gears.  Ouch!

Chryco Psycho

positive stops prevent over throwing the shift & help extend the life of the trans , the stops are treaded bolts that have to be adjusted to limit the throw

Wakko

Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Ghoste

Place the shifter in gear and screw in the stop to the point where it is positively stopping the shift lever from moving any further and tighten the lock nut.

bull

I am using the much maligned Inland shifter (not that it applies to this discussion) that came stock in my '68. Everyone hates it + it doesn't work very good + most people jettisoned it in favor of the Hurst = rare part. That's why I'm keeping it.

Blusmbl

I've only had problems with mine hanging up when the clutch linkage hasn't been adjusted correctly.  If you have the adjustment where it needs to be, they're the greatest thing in the world.... better than sliced bread, apple pie and hot dogs.  V-gates rule. :D
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Ghoste

Or if the shifter isn't adjusted properly.  I agree though, when they work, they work great.

Blusmbl

That too.  However, I have half the trans tunnel missing on my car, if I can't adjust the shifter correctly with everything else being right there, I don't deserve to own a 4 speed. :D
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Ghoste

I had one like that once.  Tell me you have more sense than me though and you don't run it with a big hole there.

Blusmbl

Most of the time, no.  One of the previous owners of my car swapped the 4 speed in it, and didn't have access to a welder so they riveted the 4 speed hump in. It had a console with pistol grip in it when I bought it, and I yanked it all out and sold it to swap in a V-gate.   :o
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram

Ghoste

That's at least something.  I remember taking a piece of cardboard and painting it black and putting it over the hole so the car would pass tech at Mayberry Dragway.  Man, was I stupid.