News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 crankcase capacity

Started by RECHRGD, February 04, 2006, 04:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I'm almost embarassed to ask this, but I will anyway.  In all the years I've had the Charger, I've always put in 5 quarts when changing the oil and filter.  That's what the manual says.  The dip stick reads at the add mark with the 5 quarts.  I just always figured that it was the wrong dipstick for the engine and didn't worry about it.  Oil pressure has alway been fine.  Last summer when car was at a well known shop in town getting the tranny rebuilt, I had them change the oil and filter.  When I was going over the bill I noticed I was charged for 7 quarts of oil.  When I questioned the mechanic about the "overcharge", he said that all 440's take 7 quarts with the filter.  He's a mopar guy with a '67 coronet.  The owners of the shop are mopar guys that have been racing them since the 60's.  With the seven quarts in there the dipstick shows full.  Is the service manual wrong?  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

chargerbr549

As far as I know all 440's up till 69, with maybe the exception of the 69 1/2 six pack motor all came with 4 qt pans and the long one qt oil filter, in 70-72 all HP 440's in the B and E bodies got the 6 qt hemi pan and when used with the long oil filter it was 7 qts total, I believe somewhere around 71 to 72 Chrysler started  using the short oil filter but i'm not absolutely sure on that.

Chryco Psycho

my experience would suggest 6 qts as normal , I assume you have windage tray ? If so you may get away with 7 qts but if you see a loss of oil pressure with 7 qts the oil is being foamed by the crank & trapping air in the oil so be careful

RECHRGD

Well, it's a '71 block (non HP) with a windage tray.  Maybe I'll just throw in one more quart and call it good.  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Plumcrazy

Before you decide how much more oil to put iin, keep in mind it can take a while for all the oil to drain back into the pan.  I check all my cars first thing in the morning after they have sat overnight.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img