News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

torque converter stall speed questions

Started by daves68, February 04, 2006, 05:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daves68

Does anyone know how to tell what the stall speed is on factory torque converters? I have 2 from big block car applications but have no way of knowing the stall speed of these units. Not able to find much in the way of part numbers either.  The only numbers were stamped into the backside of the unit,  0 849 on one and  203 9 on the other. Appreciate any help.
Thanks, Dave. ???

deathcharger71

if you put your foot hard on the brake and give it some gas it should rev up to its stall speed....but if its not currently in your car that doesnt help much haha

John_Kunkel

At the risk of becoming repetitive I must point out again that there is no set stall speed for any given converter, the stall speed depends on the size of the converter and the power input.

Mopar used two different diameter converters, 10 3/4" and 11 3/4", the smaller diameter converter will generally stall at a higher speed with the same power input. As one can see from the chart, the same converter will stall at different speeds behind different engines.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

daves68

John,
Thanks for the help. There's a lot of misinformation floating around and I was a little confused about this. I have an 11 3/4 from a 76 'Doba/400 4bbl and will put it in a 68 Charger 440, 10.2/1, 3.23 gears. Plan on lots of hiway and cruising miles so according to your chart it should be about right.
Dave