News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 R/T Exterior Door Handles

Started by shawnmd, February 04, 2006, 06:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnmd

My exterior door handles are pretty pitted and in need of a rechroming.  I was told that these door handles were actually used on late model Dodge trucks and vans.   Are they the same?  Could  I just go to the nearest Dodge dealer and purchase door handles for lets say, an 85 Dodge truck?????  If I could, they would probably be cheaper than getting mine redone.
Also whats the deal with Black buttons and chrome buttons?  I have a black on one side and chrome on the other?

moparjohn

My 90 Ramcharger had what appeared to be the same handles, but Mopar is making these as a repro part now I got mine from Herbs
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

shawnmd

Troy

You should have chrome buttons if your car is a 69 - the black buttons were earlier. Yes, some trucks use the same handle but the mechanism is different. The casting number on the handle is the same so just keep the old mechanism and swap them out. I'll try to find the part numbers that I wrote down. Also, not all of the repros fit a Charger. I forget why but it has to do with the curve where the handle meets the body.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

shawnmd

If you have the part numbers, that would be great....
thanks ;)

694spdRT

Just have your dealer look up any Dodge Ram up to '93 for the application. I ordered mine through my local dealer, switched the mechanism on the rear, and they fit perfectly. I have the part #'s at the shop but, they can pull them up on the computer easily.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

8WHEELER

He does not say they came on Dodge Trucks up till about 93, but the handle its self is the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MoPar-DOOR-HANDLES-Plymouth-Dodge-Chrysler-ABC-GTX-Dart_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33642QQitemZ8036071453QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

THIS IS WHAT HIS ADD SAYS

NOS MoPar, outside door handles for 1967 thru 1976 A Bodies like Valiant, Duster, Dart, Demon, Barracuda (1967-69),Demon; 1968-70 B Body, Road Runner, GTX, Super Bee, Charger, R/T, Belvedere, and Coronet; and 1965-68 Chrysler (except 1965-66), Plymouth and Dodge C Body 1965-68. IF YOU WIN THIS AUCTION, BE SURE TO TELL ME THE CAR YOU WILL BE USING THEM ON, WHEN YOU PAY! You are bidding on a pair and what a way to dress up the outside of your Car. These are chrome buttoned knobs, and if necessary have correct plastic attaching clips as on 70-76 A Bodies. 

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

grizzlygiff

I believe that many early year 69 models had the black buttons. My car originally came with the black buttons, and it  has an October 68 build date. I am the second owner, and I know the first owner never changed them.

Charger4404spd

Quote from: grizzlygiff on February 05, 2006, 07:53:50 AM
I believe that many early year 69 models had the black buttons. My car originally came with the black buttons, and it  has an October 68 build date. I am the second owner, and I know the first owner never changed them.

My 69 was built in November 68 and has black buttons also.

grizzlygiff

On a side note, my car also has a fuel cap that doesn't have FUEL on it. I believe they just used leftover 68 parts until the supply was exhausted. Is your car like that Charger440?

Charger4404spd

Troy

Geez, you guys should chime in whenever this subject comes up then... :D
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8059.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,8926.0.html

I should have said "69 should have chrome buttons unless it's a very early car". Of course, if you read what I wrote then it wasn't all that clear any way...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger4404spd

Its ok T, go back to bed :icon_smile_big:
BTW, did you get the pressure washer? Like?

shawnmd