News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'73 charger speedo problems

Started by dolphinron, August 17, 2012, 05:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dolphinron

Can anyone walk me through how to fix speedo cable or meter at transmission end.  It is broke on that end.  The cable doesn't turn on gauge end. 

ODZKing

Chryco Psycho

un thread the cable from the trans adapter & check the square end of the cable , if you put the car on stands & in neutral you can turn the driveshaft to see if the speedo gear is turning , the cable removes from the top end at the speedo , so you can rotate the cable to make sure it is not broken or pull it out & inspect & lube it

dolphinron

Pulled it out, everything on cable was looked good and end was square.  Then put cable back in and drove again while feeling the end of cable and not turning still.   So are you saying the speedo gear is the culptrit then?  How do I fix that?

Chryco Psycho

the problem could be at either end .
start with the speedo ,  stick a small screw driver in the back & spin it to make sure the speedo actually reads the movement . If it works .....
Jack up the rear of the car as high as possible & undo the 1/2 bolt holding the speedo drive in place & remove the round speedo gear housing , you will lose fluid , the housing can be clocked depend on the number of teeth the gear has , it is molded into the gear so maybe the gear is damaged or the housing is clocked wrong so the gear is not meshing with the tailshaft

John_Kunkel

With the cable disconnected from the trans, find a small common screwdriver that will fit in the square hole of the exposed shaft and see if you can turn the shaft.......if the shaft turns freely, the adapter that the pinion fits into is probably clocked wrong for the teeth on the pinion.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dolphinron

Thanks, Ill get under car and check it out.