News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Sure I can see all that but it is no different with modern cars.  I do spray wax on the insides of the body panels and I made sure all the leaks were fixed.  My floor is coated with epoxy as well.  So far so good.  I'm not out there asking for trouble but I do want to enjoy the car for what it is.  I can understand some cars would suffer if you'd drive it in the rain but mine's a driver and she's doing just fine out there.

The factory didn't do much to prevent rust but we sure can!

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Fred

Quote from: Dino on November 07, 2012, 07:49:07 AM
Why is everyone so afraid of rain?  You wash your cars don't you?  You drive it in humid summers do you not?  Maintain the car and it will last forever.  I enjoy my car in the rain as much as in the sun. 

My reasons Dino.............
It's black and therefore  more susceptible to fine scratches so the less washing it needs, the better.
It's very hard to keep the under carriage clean (and that's important too).
And of course it's my toy, the fun car and there's no fun in driving around in the rain. Cruising on a nice day when the sun's shining..........that's what it's all about for me.

On the other hand, the  daily drivers get washed whenever they are dirty (once a week) as I can't stand dirty cars. 

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

Quote from: Fred on November 07, 2012, 04:07:32 PM
Why is everyone so afraid of rain?  You wash your cars don't you?  You drive it in humid summers do you not?  Maintain the car and it will last forever.  I enjoy my car in the rain as much as in the sun.  

It's black and therefore  more susceptible to fine scratches so the less washing it needs, the better.
And of course it's my toy, the fun car and there's no fun in driving around in the rain. Cruising on a nice day when the sun's shining..........that's what it's all about for me.

On the other hand, the  daily drivers get washed whenever they are dirty (once a week) as I can't stand dirty cars.  
He can't let a car get dirty, but he keeps a dirty mind  :scratchchin: :D

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 07, 2012, 04:09:13 PM
Why is everyone so afraid of rain?  You wash your cars don't you?  You drive it in humid summers do you not?  Maintain the car and it will last forever.  I enjoy my car in the rain as much as in the sun.  

It's black and therefore  more susceptible to fine scratches so the less washing it needs, the better.

On the other hand, the  daily drivers get washed whenever they are dirty (once a week) as I can't stand dirty cars.  
He can't let a car get dirty, but he keeps a dirty mind  :scratchchin: :D

Priorities mate..........get them right.  :icon_smile_big:

Dino

Why is everyone so afraid of rain?  You wash your cars don't you?  You drive it in humid summers do you not?  Maintain the car and it will last forever.  I enjoy my car in the rain as much as in the sun. 

It's black and therefore  more susceptible to fine scratches so the less washing it needs, the better.

On the other hand, the  daily drivers get washed whenever they are dirty (once a week) as I can't stand dirty cars. 

I can see your points, and other' points as well for that matter.  I guess I look at it differently.  As a former bodyman I know what to look for and how to protect my car so I'm not really scared of what might happen, I simply don't let it happen.  I would never purposefully do something bad to the car, although some might say driving it in the rain is one of them, but I feel that I need to use it as a car.  It's a toy to be sure but I just love driving it as much as I can.  I do admit that when I know it's going to be hell out there, ie a storm coming, I will leave the Charger at home and take the Honda.  I don't want a tree flattening my baby.  When I was 20-ish I had a 68 and that was my daily driver.  In 5 years its condition never got worse, it also never got better though.   :icon_smile_big:
I owned a small car as well that I had to have primary insurance on but I don't think I put 2000 miles on it in those 5 years.  Where I was winters were mild and wet, summers were warm and not too humid.

Now we also have some serious differences here.  You have an immaculate black Charger.  I have a white Charger with flaws.  And a mutt for that matter.  After a good rainfall it looks pretty much the same as before.  I also use only one car wash and it's a no touch wash near me that does everything including undercarriage.

Maybe if this car ever gets restored I will think differently.

I also want to be clear:  I do not think there's anything wrong with not driving your car in the rain, but I feel it is my right to do so with my own car.

Fred

Quote from: Dino on November 07, 2012, 04:18:04 PM

I can see your points, and other' points as well for that matter.  I guess I look at it differently.  As a former bodyman I know what to look for and how to protect my car so I'm not really scared of what might happen, I simply don't let it happen.  I would never purposefully do something bad to the car, although some might say driving it in the rain is one of them, but I feel that I need to use it as a car.  It's a toy to be sure but I just love driving it as much as I can.  I do admit that when I know it's going to be hell out there, ie a storm coming, I will leave the Charger at home and take the Honda.  I don't want a tree flattening my baby.  When I was 20-ish I had a 68 and that was my daily driver.  In 5 years its condition never got worse, it also never got better though.   :icon_smile_big:
I owned a small car as well that I had to have primary insurance on but I don't think I put 2000 miles on it in those 5 years.  Where I was winters were mild and wet, summers were warm and not too humid.

Now we also have some serious differences here.  You have an immaculate black Charger.  I have a white Charger with flaws.  And a mutt for that matter.  After a good rainfall it looks pretty much the same as before.  I also use only one car wash and it's a no touch wash near me that does everything including undercarriage.

Maybe if this car ever gets restored I will think differently.

I also want to be clear:  I do not think there's anything wrong with not driving your car in the rain, but I feel it is my right to do so with my own car.

Absolutely mate, you should drive your car whenever you feel like it, enjoy it as much as possible.  :2thumbs:
Our climate here is very different in that  we have no snow and plenty of dry sunny days all year round so I pretty much get to take her out 2 or 3 times a week. Which is why I can afford to be choosy.
As for maintaining her that's not a problem for me. I'd rather be out there cleaning the grille than sitting on my backside doing nothing.

Dino

Ghoste

Bugs in the grille mean a happy driver behind the wheel.

Fred

tan top

done cam swap few weeks ago  ,
got it all dialed in , thought  , i'm done for a while   :yesnod:

now   got to take the damn  instrument cluster out !!
  tic toc tach , clock has stopped working  ,  been working  ok for about 10 years give or take ,   ordered one when charger specialities   first started repoping them ,
got power to clock white wire , so guess its something inside  :'(
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

69_Charger_RT

Mini tune up: spark plugs, dialed in carb, swapped rods in carb, fixed leaky header gaskets, finally installed overflow tank ( just never got around to it), replaced trunk bumpers/misc rubber grommet, changed dried out wiper blades  :2thumbs:

moparguy01

No, I have seen my car for sale 3 or 4 times. However not from me. I tried selling it once but refused to give it away. I'm glad about that. It's my triple black 74 se.

Quote from: Dino on November 07, 2012, 07:49:51 AM
Quote from: moparguy01 on November 06, 2012, 10:28:34 PM
last winter I tore it apart and had a 10 point rollcage installed. since then I've sandblasted, painted and redone the seats. The chassis guy is working on the wiring right now. all new harness, trying to hide as much as possible in the engine bay. swapped over to a 1 wire alternator, relaying the headlights, etc. I've got the parts to go through the engine again to make sure its all good, just waiting on the time to do it. I've also been building a new gauge cluster with all autometer gauges, as well as custom molding 3 gauge pods into the factory dashpad. I've also had to modify the stock dash since the a pillar bars goes through it.

as soon as the car gets back to my place the interior will be going in the car alone with some sound deadening. yes. a 10 point cage with sound deadening. Its also going to get a full factory interior, air conditioning, power windows, and cruise control. why? well why not. :icon_smile_big:

I've got alot of work ahead of me, but its coming along good so far.

Well somebody's been busy!  Which car is this?  I though you sold your 3rd gen?

jb666

Got a bad tank of gas, so.... Took tank down, cleaned.. New fuel pump, filters, line, injectors.

While in there, the FAST computer was swapped out with the new FAST 2.0 system...

Running like a dream now.... Just in time for winter after fighting with it all season  :brickwall:

Oh, can't forget, swapped out the 3.73's for a set of 4.10's... A bit of a difference!!!

greenpigs

Quote from: jb666 on November 08, 2012, 06:20:13 PM
Got a bad tank of gas, so.... Took tank down, cleaned.. New fuel pump, filters, line, injectors.

While in there, the FAST computer was swapped out with the new FAST 2.0 system...

Running like a dream now.... Just in time for winter after fighting with it all season  :brickwall:

Oh, can't forget, swapped out the 3.73's for a set of 4.10's... A bit of a difference!!!

A supercharged 440 isn't enough? :D
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Lee A

I put a rt linkage on my 68 and had to cut the head liner out mice got into it and put pretty much all new panels on my 69 except for the rear floor boards and firewall and frame it was bad lol
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

Sublime/Sixpack

Redlined it in first, second, and third, (had to let off in fourth). :patrol:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Chippa

Made up a shroud for my rad this weekend  :2thumbs:

Chippa

Just need to finish off the cut outs above and below  :cheers:

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bob T

Took the family and dog out for a early evening cruise, picked up subway and sat down on the beach in the sun at 7pm to eat.       Car looked cool up on the boulevard overlooking the beach
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

six-tee-nine

Pffffff,
Cut out the trunk floor at last along with the lower quarters and the lower rear valance. I'm also doing alot of welding and grinding....

Well, no driving for me, but at least my project finally makes progress.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

twenty mike mike

Replaced front and rear leaf spring bushings.

Replaced the left vent cable.

Replaced Kick Yer Butt shocks with Bilsteins.

Replaced inner and outer tie rods and adjusters, installed Firm Feel Stage 3 steering box and installed rebuilt power steering pump. Rebuilt steering coupler and got an alignment.

Removed aftermarket water temp and oil pressure gauges.

Installed new 15x8 Magnum 500s and new tires.

Disconnected electric fuel pump and installed mechanical pump.

Painted and installed new battery tray and supports. Removed vacuum canister, painted and reinstalled.

Replaced headlight wiring harness (amazing how bright the headlights can be with electrons flowing to them).

Removed factory dash speaker and installed two 3 ½" speakers, using the bracket sold on Moparts.

Spent a lot of money on parts that aren't installed yet.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bill440rt

I looked at it... and put a new car cover on it.  :rotz:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce