News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: myk on February 04, 2014, 08:20:26 AM
Quote from: Dino on February 04, 2014, 07:39:01 AM
Quote from: JamieZ on February 01, 2014, 06:47:10 PM
Finished off the brackets to mount the linear actuators.

Very nice!  Good job   :2thumbs:

Would you use electric motors for your headlight doors?  I wonder if we could hire him to make those brackets for us lol...

Maybe if I had to start from scratch but my vacuum system works fine and both doors open and shut at the same time and rate.  Pretty fast as well.  At this point I see no reason to change out something that works.  If your car has low vacuum because of the engine setup then this is definitely the way to go.  Besides, I love the pshhh sound it makes.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Yeah my system worked fine until a few months ago; it's no big deal, I just have to replace a vacuum pod.  I just like the idea of electric motors is all...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: myk on February 04, 2014, 08:28:37 AM
Yeah my system worked fine until a few months ago; it's no big deal, I just have to replace a vacuum pod.  I just like the idea of electric motors is all...

I think the electric motors would have been a better idea from the start, but I'm sure the engineers didn't like the extra load on the electrical system.  When the vacuum system works it really works well, but if you have any issues and can turn it into electrical then go for it.

Is it one of the pods on the grille doors you need?  Those are cheap and plentiful so that may be the easiest fix.

timmycharger

Quote from: twenty mike mike on February 03, 2014, 08:13:46 PM
Quote from: timmycharger on February 03, 2014, 06:14:57 PM
:2thumbs:

That looks great. Do you happen to have measurements for placement of the console brackets?

Sorry, I dont, but I could certainly take some this weekend.

AKcharger

I took both of mine out for a ride yesterday:-)

twenty mike mike

Quote from: timmycharger on February 05, 2014, 02:09:09 PM

That looks great. Do you happen to have measurements for placement of the console brackets?

Thank you!  :cheers:

Brass

I took it to Victoria BC and back from Seattle.  The weather was dry but there was some salt in Canada.  Cruised mostly between 60 and 70+ without any real problems.

Bob T

Did around a 100 miles yesterday on another clubs Twilight Run and took home the Best Mopar prize, quite surprised, fun day out tho, cooking the sausies on the portable BBQ at the back of the car.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

JamieZ

Put it back together for the first time since the day after Thanksgiving. 

Still need to fine tune a few things, but it's nice to see it back in one piece.

myk

Quote from: Dino on February 04, 2014, 08:30:41 AM

I think the electric motors would have been a better idea from the start, but I'm sure the engineers didn't like the extra load on the electrical system.  When the vacuum system works it really works well, but if you have any issues and can turn it into electrical then go for it.

Is it one of the pods on the grille doors you need?  Those are cheap and plentiful so that may be the easiest fix.

A pod for sure, as I tested it with a hand pump (HAHAHA!), and possibly a new vacuum can.  BTW, I got that chin spoiler/air dam from a '68 Camaro; where exactly did you bolt your front spoiler to-the valance itself?  Does it hold up to high speeds without bracing?  I just noticed that I'm going to have to re-route my 'trans-cooler lines as they run through the valance holes and into my cooler...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

cdr

Quote from: JamieZ on February 06, 2014, 09:04:30 PM
Put it back together for the first time since the day after Thanksgiving. 

Still need to fine tune a few things, but it's nice to see it back in one piece.

that looks FANTASTIC ,great work   :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

Quote from: myk on February 06, 2014, 09:11:31 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 04, 2014, 08:30:41 AM

A pod for sure, as I tested it with a hand pump (HAHAHA!), and possibly a new vacuum can.  BTW, I got that chin spoiler/air dam from a '68 Camaro; where exactly did you bolt your front spoiler to-the valance itself?  Does it hold up to high speeds without bracing?  I just noticed that I'm going to have to re-route my 'trans-cooler lines as they run through the valance holes and into my cooler...

Time for cooler lines that fit the car then!   :icon_smile_big:

I have the 69 spoiler so not sure if they are the same.  I drilled a few new holes in the top of the spoiler so they  line up with the flat spot on the valance.  I used bolts and oversized washers.  If you got the spoiler with the braces, I took the longest one and flattened one end .  It then fits precisely between the center of the spoiler and a bolt on the K member.  I would not drive it without proper bracing.  I hit a high curb with mine and besides a small crack and a bent support rod it survived.  Can't do that without bracing.

JamieZ

Fabricated the last clip I needed to connect the driver's side arm to the actuator, so now it's back together (except for the headlight surrounds) and working.

http://youtu.be/LMKNcmV_h9U

Camera was off center a bit so the passenger door doesn't look quite right but it's really just the angle.

70 sublime

Quote from: JamieZ on February 08, 2014, 12:11:07 PM
Fabricated the last clip I needed to connect the driver's side arm to the actuator, so now it's back together (except for the headlight surrounds) and working.

http://youtu.be/LMKNcmV_h9U

Camera was off center a bit so the passenger door doesn't look quite right but it's really just the angle.

That looks good
Almost like they were still vaccum when one would go a little before the other
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

DixieRestoParts

Bought a set of slots today for that old school street fighter look. I need to find center caps. They are the kind that bolt on from the front. Anybody got an old set?
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

farmboy12357

Completely went through the front end and replaced everything, went tubular upper control arms, heavier torsion bars, new bushings, ball joints, etc...had a custom street trans built for her and currently going through the engine ( have it down to the block currently) trying to get her back together for the summer. Just got her last year and keep running into problems  :brickwall: but I guess that's all the fun of a project car  :cheers:

timmycharger

Quote from: timmycharger on February 05, 2014, 02:09:09 PM

Actually, was messing around this morning and found this, should have all the info you need. Good Luck!!

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?50077-1969-console-location

BrianShaughnessy

Truck bed liner sprayed inside...   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

twenty mike mike

Quote from: timmycharger on February 09, 2014, 11:39:10 AM

Actually, was messing around this morning and found this, should have all the info you need. Good Luck!!

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?50077-1969-console-location

Excellent! Exactly what I need, thanks very much.

Lord Warlock

Been busy the last several weeks, Had a friend who has done interior work for decades come and install the Headliner finally, put a new trunk floor in, sealed it, and primered the trunk.  Hung the new gas tank, and tightened down the rear brake line fittings connected the hose to the front.  Have to connect the new fuel line to the gas tank tomorrow, then attach the filler tube and gas cap to the car.  Also planning on installing the rear speakers to the rear deck this week or weekend. 

Ordered new side mirrors for both sides today, RH side is pretty good, left side remote had to be replaced or rechromed, also ordered a new dash pad, made an appointment to have the front glass installed next week, have to go get butyl tape and sealant tomorrow for the back glass.  Plan on taking the back bumper in to get rechromed.  Schedule looks intimidating but its coming along nice and starting to look like a car again. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

fy469rtse

Lordwarlock  photo's please, sounds like your getting a lot of work done of late

JamieZ just watched you video, great job , that grill looks better than new , did I miss the part to where you got actuators, side benefit doors won't try to open at speed on the highways,
Flicking through a magazine over here , tough charger photo taken on highway at speed, and there's one of the doors coming open,
What you have done will help if not stop it completely

Lord Warlock

Pics? you asked for it.  

trunk floor before:
Trunk floor after:

No pics of the gas tank going in, no room under the car for a camera and me, still have to get the headliner pics loaded to photobucket, will add those later.  It was too cold today to work in the garage, the heater out there is only good for a few feet.  Will have to wait till tomorrow to do the final gas tank tasks, its supposed to be mid 60s tomorrow. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

Picked up a passenger side mirror today from Roseville Chrysler.  I much prefer the look of dual mirrors on these cars.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on February 13, 2014, 05:17:22 PM
Picked up a passenger side mirror today from Roseville Chrysler.  I much prefer the look of dual mirrors on these cars.

Yeah wish I could put dual mirrors up....

JamieZ

Quote from: fy469rtse on February 13, 2014, 05:12:53 AM
JamieZ just watched you video, great job , that grill looks better than new , did I miss the part to where you got actuators, side benefit doors won't try to open at speed on the highways,
Flicking through a magazine over here , tough charger photo taken on highway at speed, and there's one of the doors coming open,
What you have done will help if not stop it completely

The actuators are just units I picked up off eBay.  They have a 2" stroke which is pretty much ideal.  The units I purchased are internally limited, meaning if you are supplying power to them and they reach max stroke, they shut off.  Some units don't and you would need to add limit switches, more complex wiring and you'd have to mount the limit switches so the actuator tripped them.  Anyhow, the units I purchased were about $45 each and there were dozens of sellers for them on eBay. They are popular for hoods, doors, etc.  Mine are rated at a 200+ lbs  which is overkill, but most units were around there.

The doors are locked down, there is very little movement possible without the actuators doing it.  There is a tiny bit of movement possible as they still use the clip fastened around the hinge rod.