News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Quote from: myk on May 02, 2014, 06:53:52 PMI thought you had to have a mini-starter with headers? 

Headers were around looooong before mini starters.  People just do it that way now for convenience.

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on May 04, 2014, 07:25:10 AM
Quote from: myk on May 02, 2014, 06:53:52 PMI thought you had to have a mini-starter with headers? 

Headers were around looooong before mini starters.  People just do it that way now for convenience.

Although by the sound of things it's still not all that convenient.  In any case, now that I fixed the Charger's engine-miss I canceled sleep and went for a Sunday morning drive and bought that delicious Chevron gas the car likes so much:

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

fy469rtse

That's a nice shot of your car Myk, what was the cause of your miss

myk

Quote from: fy469rtse on May 05, 2014, 06:53:42 AM
That's a nice shot of your car Myk, what was the cause of your miss

At first I thought it was low quality gas I had bought at a 7-11 instead of the usual Chevron/Shell gas I buy; I even made a thread about it because I was so certain of the fault of the gasoline:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,110256.0.html

Then I started looking at my ignition system, questioning my cap, rotor, MP distributor, etc:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,110275.0.html

Of course, the simple thing was the cause of it all: a spark plug wire had melted onto one of my exhaust manifolds and was causing a bad mis-fire.  I feel like an idiot, but on the bright side I ended up cleaning the rotor and cap resulting in a more crisp throttle response after I got the burned wire fixed.  Ultimately, I learned about "rotor phasing" and see that this is a common fault with Mopar Performance distributors.  On my MP distributor, the spark point is so far off the mark inside of the cap that it's ridiculous; I'm shocked that the car pulls as strong as it does.  As such, I'll probably end up buying Ron's Firecore distributor very soon.  I wonder about the difference it can make but after 20 years I think the MP distributor needs to retire anyway...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Paul G

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

myk

Quote from: Paul G on May 05, 2014, 08:34:02 AM
I like your rear license tag Myk.  :icon_smile_big:

Thank you, best $8 I ever spent lol.  I'm just glad that local law enforcement lets me get away with it...

timmycharger

Had my windshield installed by Safelite Glass today, great service and I thought he did a pretty good job. Not super impressed by the gasket they provided, I don't remember being able to see the outer most dash bolts on each side through the glass. Almost like the gasket isn't laying flat enough on the dash area in front of the windshield channel.   He used urethane sealer around the top, corners and sides but not in the bottom corners or bottom channel.  I may have to call him back to run a bead in there as im not so sure the gasket alone will do the job. Don't plan on driving it in the rain unless I get caught out somewhere and I do have to wash it so I want it sealed.

Its been 11 years since its had a windshield, starting to look like a car again.

HeavyFuel

Put this on today.

It's interesting that the instructions say to center the blinker hole on the wide stripe, but the factory centered the hole on the grouping of the wide and narrow stripes together.

I went with factory.  (There are a few small bubbles near the hole.....the decal instructions say that they'll go away in a few days.)

Baldwinvette77

myk

Great stripe job.  I need to get mine on as well...

fy469rtse

heavyfuel, if those bubbles dont disapear, needle, pin prick

myk

I have to say the idea of laying down those stripes seems daunting.  I'd pass out if I had to put a pin to them lol...

nvrbdn

heavyfuel   what an awesome color combo. love it :D 

for myself,  got my stall speed torque converter in. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

HeavyFuel

Quote from: myk on May 06, 2014, 05:27:02 AM
I have to say the idea of laying down those stripes seems daunting.  I'd pass out if I had to put a pin to them lol...

Myk, It really wasn't that bad, but it does take a certain skillset.  It's not for everyone.

Now if I could just get my MP dizzy working right......    :eek2:

nvrbdn

i had mine painted on. didnt have to deal with the bubbles, but a bit harder to remove if the desire was ever there. :yesnod:

you did an awesome job. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

myk

Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 06, 2014, 08:52:53 AM
Quote from: myk on May 06, 2014, 05:27:02 AM

Myk, It really wasn't that bad, but it does take a certain skillset.  It's not for everyone.

Now if I could just get my MP dizzy working right......    :eek2:

I remember being frustrated with plastic model kits and their water-based decals; I can only guess that a car sized version of that experience would just be a disaster lol.  As for the distributor, I'm surprised you're not going with Ron's reccomendation of the Firecore units? 

comet_666

Put new rims and tires on. Now I just need an engine!

JamieZ

I offered the wheels up to the charger to make sure they all fit...although since I'll be changing the front for the brakes I am not sure what this tells me:

Charger is starting to feel like a money pit.  In the past 2 weeks I've ordered wheels, tires, power disc brake conversion, shocks, and a whole front suspension/steering kit (bushings, ball joints, etc).  Not to mention tools: Ball joint socket, pickle forks, and an alignment kit.

Parts are starting to trickle in....today the center caps showed up so I mounted on the wheel I unpacked. 

I also got the sway bar bushings and the lines for the master cylinder.   This weekend might be busy if the big stuff starts showing up.......

HeavyFuel

Comet...love that color.      Doesn't look like stock. :scratchchin:

Dino

Removed the old brittle bulkhead connector and cleaned and transferred the wiring to the new (stock wiring in as new shape after removing the original tape   :2thumbs:).
Still have to pop it back in the firewall but I need the space to add a maxi fuse holder first.  Also removed the original ammeter wires and a few others that were upgraded with 8 gauge wires.  This baby is gonna hold some juice when I'm done with it.   :cheers:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

Installed and aftermarket tach and temperature digital temp gauge*.  Not sure the dash one is correct.
May not seem like any big deal but any time I fool with wiring I am always concerned I'm going to blow something up.
Martha is a real trooper, she crawls under there to tidy up all the wires.

*On another note, the digital temp gauge I ordered came with a new sensor. I hooked it up to the old sensor but the reading is WAY off, which I expected. DAsh gauges are 5 volt and this is 12 volt gauge.
So I need to install the new one which actually looks like a stock one.  In any case, I'd like to leave the original one in ... that plug on the top of the water pump.  Is that the same size. Can the new sensor be put in there?   :popcrn:

1974dodgecharger

Since the breakdown we now have a new 4 radiator, 2 puller fans, one pusher, new 200amp alternator to handle the fans, rebuilding a cone type suregrip (not rebuilding really), and taking apart 4 slowly.

JamieZ

Parts started showing up this week.  As of now I'm just missing the booster, master cylinder, linkage/bracket and some lube for all the bushings.   But as of now:

Everything except for the welder, chairs, and the water jugs is for the project.  Definitely won't be able to complain I don't have anything to do for a while.....

Musicman

Quote from: ODZKing on May 07, 2014, 08:16:59 AM
Martha is a real trooper, she crawls under there to tidy up all the wires.

That's definitely not you under there Bob  :lol:

lexxman

Bob, your Lucky she did it. At least with my dash its out,so its a little easier to work on.lol