News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

Jamie , undo your torsion bar adjusters, in the photo there still wound up, bolt through from bottom of lower control arm,
Bottom arms , you need to find some one with a workshop press, will make putting it easier getting old bush out and pressing new ones in, have a look on the threads on here for ideas , good work, you won't know this car with how much this improves the feel and handling

chaos52

Dodgecharger74

bought it 2 BFG TA  235 60R 15"  for the front
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

JamieZ

Quote from: fy469rtse on May 20, 2014, 05:11:18 AM
Jamie , undo your torsion bar adjusters, in the photo there still wound up, bolt through from bottom of lower control arm,
Bottom arms , you need to find some one with a workshop press, will make putting it easier getting old bush out and pressing new ones in, have a look on the threads on here for ideas , good work, you won't know this car with how much this improves the feel and handling

I've loosened everything.  Torsion bar doesn't budge.  The problem seems to be the cross member portion.  Based on the pictures the bar is supposed to come out through the back of that.  I don't see how that's possible.

The bar looks to be bigger than that poorly designed (building it like an exhaust clamp so it could be loosed would be mint) cross member section.  Every day the torsion bar moves closer and closer to it's well deserved end at the hands of some sort of cutting instrument.

terrible one

Have you tried prying the LCA back? Pry the LCA away from the k-frame, it will push the bar out of the crossmember. Also, although not ideal, if you have no prybar you can walk the nut to the end of the pivot shaft and smack it with a small sledge for the same effect. I've only done a handful but never has this not worked for me. In my opinion it's easier than using the tool anyways when you are taking the whole front end apart.

tsmithae

I had the exact same issue and wasn't really wanting to wait to get the tool.  So, I made my own.  2 x 8" 2x4s, 1 x 4" long rubber hose, 1 x u-bolt.   :2thumbs:

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Ghoste

tsmithae

Thanks, I thought it suited the tool pretty well.  I might have to Trademark that now that it's out there for all to see...  ;)
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Ghoste

Yep, before you know it Harbor Freight will be selling cheap Chinese knock offs.

JamieZ

Quote from: terrible one on May 20, 2014, 08:50:35 PM
Have you tried prying the LCA back? Pry the LCA away from the k-frame, it will push the bar out of the crossmember. Also, although not ideal, if you have no prybar you can walk the nut to the end of the pivot shaft and smack it with a small sledge for the same effect. I've only done a handful but never has this not worked for me. In my opinion it's easier than using the tool anyways when you are taking the whole front end apart.

I've tried prying on everything and/or smacking everything with a hammer as hard as I dare.  With the rubber piece slid forwards I've managed to dig out about an 1" of dirt/mud that got packed around the bar somehow.  I've squirted both ends with liquid wrench stuff.  I'm letting it soak for a bit.

If that doesn't get it loose when I pry on it some more or see about making some sort of T bar tool that I can smack with a hammer since the my purchased one is lost in the abyss.  I think it just needs a couple good solid whacks near the cross member to break it free from the rust I assume is holding it in.

grdprx

I had a torsion bar stuck on mine 3 years ago. Ended up having a member here come over and cut it off with a torch. I fought with that thing for months, even made my own T-bar Terminator, which worked on getting the other bar out.  Was severely rusted in.

JamieZ

Quote from: grdprx on May 22, 2014, 01:11:26 AM
I had a torsion bar stuck on mine 3 years ago. Ended up having a member here come over and cut it off with a torch. I fought with that thing for months, even made my own T-bar Terminator, which worked on getting the other bar out.  Was severely rusted in.

Torsion bar: 20 Me:0. 

My dad came over and we attached a wooden block/clamp set up to it and beat it with a hammer.  Tried ratcheting straps, pry bars, etc.  No luck.  Both my dad and me are convinced it's rusted to the cross member.  So I guess it's torch time.

But hey the day wasn't a complete loss, the license plate I got off eBay showed up:

I scored it off eBay for $10 and it's just perfect for a 68 charger built in 1967 (C23).

terrible one

Hate to hear it's putting up such a fight, but once it's finally out imagine the satisfaction you will feel. And the license plate is definitely a cool touch :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

had one once stuck as bad as that, ? engine in car , if not drop cross member,
then you can belt the very end of torsion bars ,it half worked for me , one loosened up, ended up cutting one so i could belt it side ways to help loosen it up ,
you would want to use those torsion bars with those hits to them ,
i still have the one that came out in one piece sitting against the wall ,
actualy if you can afford new torsion bars , order them now, the ones in car cut them in half , leave enough out from cross member , it will allow you to belt them with a block hammer, bacause the fronts half you can get out the way,
it worked for me to tap them back and forth, side ways seemed to do the most good,
mind you this was after complete frustration on a canadian salt road car, many weeks i spent on these, i had the torsion bar removal tool,
keep at it you will get them out , i know frustrating, brings back bad memorys  :brickwall:

grdprx

Love the plate. Looks great. Good luck in the battle!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Added a little V21 action to mine a few weeks ago ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

AKcharger

Went from the Rallyes with low profiles to road wheels with taller 70's I think it looks much better

Ghoste

ODZKing

I agree AK.  I like the look of a larger tire with a nice wheel on all our cars.   :2thumbs:

AKcharger

Thanks guys! yeah I made a goof years ago when I went with those 60's, I didn't give it much though and it always made it look a little like a clown car

JamieZ

I think I nicked it:

Felt good to angle grind that beast!    :nana:

Now that the lower is out, I can see one of the bushings was maybe only a 1/4 left.  Not to mention everything being coated in the oil/mud/grime that I've come to expect.  I'll try and remember to shoot some before pictures.

I'll probably spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning parts.  Or maybe I'll call my dad and we can torch the other end of the bar free.

fy469rtse

Nah , that looks fine , reuse able , lol
Good one down , now for the next one

69wannabe

Done a hand wax job on it today!!! :eek2: Holy crap I almost forgot how big these cars are!!! Like waxing the titanic by hand!! ;D I haven't done a good wax job on it since over a year ago so it was due. It is pretty dang slick now. What is your recommended brand of wax?? I like the gold class by meguire's. It goes on good and come's off pretty good too. Got to do some chrome polish on the wheels and bumpers next and planning on doing some subframe connectors as soon as I get my daughter's jeep up and going. The term jeep (just empty every pocket) is no joke!! :-\ It has just about broke me lately.

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Paul G

Installed new stainless brake lines. Got them from Mr. Moparts, 10% off deal. The hardest one to change was the one that goes across the firewall. It ended up a little mangled.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#