News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieZ

Put the dash back in.  This is like the 4th time I've done it so it wasn't half bad this time (I also labelled everything a while back which really helps with some of the lights).
I took the car out and there is good news and bad news.
The good is the speedo works, as does the tach and all the other gauges so maybe the dash can stay in for a while?
The bad, the steering is scary.  First the box leaks, a lot, if I jack the car up, I have to fill the pump again.  Not top it off, pretty much dump half a bottle of power steering fluid in it.   When it's level it's not bad.  At low speed the car isn't terrible.  It goes straight, wheel feels fine.  But there is a ton of slop in the steering I noticed this when I was doing the front end work but didn't have time to address it.  At low speeds I can feel when the wheels are turning due to the resistance.  At higher speeds (35-40) the steering is boosted to the point where I can no longer tell so driving looks something like one of those old movies where the guys are just constantly turning the wheel while driving.

So now a firm feel stage 3 box has become a priority, probably not until July, but it's definitely this year.

Also the car doesn't stay running when cold.  I didn't have a lot of time to play with the carb when I first put it on.  When I initially installed it, it idled great.....of course I later found out the throttle cable wasn't adjusted right and it was holding the car at about 2.5k when warm so no kidding it didn't stall.   It's a Holley just like I have on my challenger so I don't think getting it dialed in will be that difficult.

And speaking of the challenger I need to get that ready to go to Mopars at Junction in early June.   I haven't had the car out at all this year, I did fire it up (after replacing the coil). So I'll be working on that for the next few weeks.

myk

Maybe you don't need a new steering box.  What's the rest of your suspension setup?  I ask because after installing all of my Hotchkis pieces and dialing in a more "modern" alignment profile, I'm thinking that with the reduced-pressure 'mod added to what I've already done, the steering feel might be just where I want it?...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

timmycharger

Bolted on the roller rockers and set the adjusters, valve covers are bolted on now.  Not pictured but mocked up the lakewood blowshield to set the proper z bar angle. (HUGE PAIN IN THE A**), luckily the prior owner of the shield must have had a B body as the bracket they welded on set the bar in perfect allignment, just may need to slightly modify the z bar to make it narrower.

Also, started working on restoring the carbs. They were perfect when the car was parked 13 years ago, hopefully a thorough clean and rebuild will get them back the same.

303 Mopar

Made some tuning adjustments, installed a new starter, adjusted the brakes and added stripes!   :coolgleamA:

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

67440chrg

Took it out to two car shows over the weekend. got a free car wash from the rain. Had a good time with my girls cruising.

JR

Freshening up the 10 year old paint on my 70. Its getting a coat of epoxy sealer tomorrow. I'm about a week or two away from spraying color, I plan to make a progress thread when done.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

JR

Quote from: myk on May 18, 2015, 07:18:54 PM
Nice wheels... :D

You know whats funny is, it was actually seeing them on yours and Dino's cars that persuaded me to get them. Cant beat em for the price.

JamieZ

Quote from: myk on May 18, 2015, 02:09:10 AM
Maybe you don't need a new steering box.  What's the rest of your suspension setup?  I ask because after installing all of my Hotchkis pieces and dialing in a more "modern" alignment profile, I'm thinking that with the reduced-pressure 'mod added to what I've already done, the steering feel might be just where I want it?...

Rest of my suspension is the stock style equipment that I replaced last summer when I switched to disc brakes.  New moog ball joints, tie rod ends etc.  UCA's were replaced with PST for more adjustability and the shocks were replaced with QA1s.

I set up my go pro and took this video.  At no point do the car's wheels actually move.

https://youtu.be/5LU_jU3oqOw

So I either need a new box or to tighten the old one (which I will be trying first).

Charger-Bodie

Slid in the new hotchkis torsion bars tonight and tomorrow night the hellwig front bar.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

myk

Quote from: JR on May 18, 2015, 08:08:03 PM
Quote from: myk on May 18, 2015, 07:18:54 PM
Nice wheels... :D

You know whats funny is, it was actually seeing them on yours and Dino's cars that persuaded me to get them. Cant beat em for the price.

I'm just glad that you were able to buy them.  Last I heard Discount Tire was phasing them out.  What size is your back wheel?  I may have to buy the more expensive version because I need a wider rear wheel...

JR

They are 17x9.5 with a 5.5 inch backspacing. I would have preferred 5 inch backspacing, but they were phasing out some of the slower selling sizes. As far as I know, summit still has some in stock. I plan on changing out the center caps of mine with some 3 spoke knock offs one day.

I love the look of the wider wheel. The deep lip is awesome. Albeit, it does come at the expense of a more understeer prone vehicle. Your setup is better for handling.

garner7555

Well I finally broke down and admitted to myself that I was too short on time to get my car striped, fixed, and painted myself anytime in the next 5 years.  :brickwall:  I used to be a bodyman for a living and have painted plenty of cars myself as well so I hated to hire it done, but I hauled it off to my neighbor who does full restorations and he is going to handle bodywork and paint.

Blasting and starting fresh.  All of my original panels will be saved except the front valence.  We are gonna have to fab up a patch for lower quarters and the rear body panel.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

myk

Quote from: JR on May 20, 2015, 01:44:43 AM
They are 17x9.5 with a 5.5 inch backspacing. I would have preferred 5 inch backspacing, but they were phasing out some of the slower selling sizes. As far as I know, summit still has some in stock. I plan on changing out the center caps of mine with some 3 spoke knock offs one day.

I love the look of the wider wheel. The deep lip is awesome. Albeit, it does come at the expense of a more understeer prone vehicle. Your setup is better for handling.

What?  Lol I never saw a 17x9.5 for sale, although I get what you mean about the 5.5" backspacing-that might be a deal breaker for some.  In the end, I was forced to settle for the 18x8.  As for the handling, I couldn't make up my mind about staggering or not; I heard that doing so or not would make a better handler, or NOT... :smilielol:

JR

Dino

Quote from: myk on May 20, 2015, 07:46:32 AM
Quote from: JR on May 20, 2015, 01:44:43 AM

What?  Lol I never saw a 17x9.5 for sale, although I get what you mean about the 5.5" backspacing-that might be a deal breaker for some.  In the end, I was forced to settle for the 18x8.  As for the handling, I couldn't make up my mind about staggering or not; I heard that doing so or not would make a better handler, or NOT... :smilielol:

Dude!  17x9.5 is what I have!  It was the only size with a wide machined lip.  Backspacing is not ideal, my tires rub on the inner wheel wells from time to time.  A 1/2" or 3/4 spacer should bring them out nicely.  And I really should go find these spacers and longer wheel bolts!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Quote from: garner7555 on May 20, 2015, 06:24:36 AM
Well I finally broke down and admitted to myself that I was too short on time to get my car striped, fixed, and painted myself anytime in the next 5 years.  :brickwall:  I used to be a bodyman for a living and have painted plenty of cars myself as well so I hated to hire it done, but I hauled it off to my neighbor who does full restorations and he is going to handle bodywork and paint.

Blasting and starting fresh.  All of my original panels will be saved except the front valence.  We are gonna have to fab up a patch for lower quarters and the rear body panel.

I know how you feel.  I'm a former bodyman myself and it pains me that I am unable to do the work myself because I just am not set up for it.

In the last few days I have been enjoying the car more than ever, simply because I now use it as a car instead of a rolling project.  I will still be doing plenty work to it, but I need to be honest with myself and realize that I no longer want to lay under my car with a wrench anymore so much of the work will be farmed out.  I don't even know if I ever want to restore this car, at this point I have my doubts.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: JR on May 20, 2015, 08:58:38 AM
Myk, here's 17 x9.5 like I have.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/mbw-23197?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4fCqBRDM1ZKhk5jfo6IBEiQAZQ97OMjajSVJIa3hr-W46JxHEqRGhIAKuB50K_pa1wBV1DsaAkFd8P8HAQ

I'm not sure what sizes they have in 18s though. Are your front wheels 17s or 18s?

18x8 all around.  Again, I couldn't decide on staggering or not, so I went with what was easiest and just bought a matched set.  Like Dino however, I may look into spacers and longer studs or replacing the wheels altogether...

303 Mopar

1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

plum500

I should probably say a quick hello first. Haven't been on here in a long time until recently.

Put this project down 6 years ago... had to move half way across country... and life happened.....

Anyhoo, *finally* getting back at it. Unpacked boxes that have been sitting for 6 years....car has been inside an insulated garage (with ceiling fan running 24/7 with a dehumidifier most of that time)...

Finishing up the battery in the trunk project. No rod to the switch yet. This is mostly about adding a bit of extra safety and building some things now.

Anyhoo.. today I mocked up a plate I'll have made out of aluminum, to hold the cut-off switch and the starter relay (so the crank wire is only live during crank...).

It felt really damn good to be out there in a mostly cleaned up garage though, with a couple brew, and some Deep Purple playing in behind the sounds of socket wrench, drill press, etc.

comet_666

Moved car from my garage to my friends shop where after 8+ years it will be mated up with the 512 and trans and everything else.

Woohoo

Ghoste